Laptop Trouble

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Doplgngr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Laptop Trouble

Post by Doplgngr »

The HD on my Toshiba died the other day so I replaced it and tried to reload the OS (Vista) with the disks that came with the laptop. No luck. I called the Toshiba support # and talked to 2 different techs who say its an issue with the HD. However I can load Linux without a hitch. Am I wrong in assuming that there is no problem with the HD since Linux loads with no problems?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd say it's a Windows issue. If you can install Linux on it then it's not the HD that is the issue.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Laptop Trouble

Post by Foil »

Doplgngr wrote:...Linux loads with no problems?
Do you mean Linux installs with no problems, or that you can run Linux from the CD with no problems? Those are two very different things.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

Is the hard drive the exact same size as the one before? I know some restore CDs/DVDs won't restore if its a different size.
Doplgngr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Doplgngr »

I have Linux installed on the HD and it works fine. Personally, I think I have a bad set of recovery disks that came with the laptop.
Doplgngr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Doplgngr »

Its a larger drive than the original.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I would not be surprised if the hardware has to be identical for the restore discs to match.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Insurrectionist »

fliptw wrote:I would not be surprised if the hardware has to be identical for the restore discs to match.
I never had that problem. Then again that won't surprise me with the way some companies are doing business now days.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Windows looks at hardware changes when authenticating, not when installing.

Doplgngr, what is the error you get when trying to reinstall Windows?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Foil its not Windows causing the issue but it may be the Toshiba recovery software... it may want to see a certain size or brand of hard drive. I've run across this before with brand name systems. I've installed regular OEM software then called in to activate it... never had an issue.
Doplgngr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Doplgngr »

When I click recovery wizard I get error code 03-EEEE-0000.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I recently repaired a Toshiba and an oddity I noticed with the recovery system they use is that the HDD has to be blank or else it would get itself caught up in a constant reboot loop with no feedback whatsoever. Once I'd removed all the partitions the recovery started without a hitch. This was a 2004 XP model though, the later Vista models may be slightly different. It would still be worth a shot though.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

So how many here did a google search for the error code 03-EEEE-0000. Seems like a lot of people are getting the same error after replacing hard drives or memory.

Here is a conversation about just that on Toshiba Support Forums

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe. ... 9&tstart=0

Hope this helps.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Admiral LSD wrote:I recently repaired a Toshiba and an oddity I noticed with the recovery system they use is that the HDD has to be blank or else it would get itself caught up in a constant reboot loop with no feedback whatsoever. Once I'd removed all the partitions the recovery started without a hitch. This was a 2004 XP model though, the later Vista models may be slightly different. It would still be worth a shot though.

Any Recovery disk made from a OEM Recovery Partition requires at least 3 partitions to be created on the hard disk when it goes to reinstall on a new/wiped Hard drive (FAT32/OS/RECOVERY)

If you need another you do it after the install

ENJOY

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.