Windows 7 NOOOOB help

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Windows 7 NOOOOB help

Post by Red_5 »

Alrighty, so I FINALLY get to replace Windows Piss- I mean Vista with WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM. Oh yeah.

Ok, so is there anything I should know? Defrag the disk? Remove unneeded crapware? Stuff to watch out for?

Thanks!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Disk defrag is automatically scheduled to run once a week, but you could bump it up to once a day sometime early in the morning if you leave your PC on all the time.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Pretty sure I turned that off. I don't think it's ever been done...
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

The new Task Bar may take a little getting used to, but it's got some good things about it, plus you can have/recreate the \"Quick Launch\" (with a little folder menu adjustment) if you like having it around. Otherwise, about the only that annoys me is the alert items that trys to tell you things you need to change about the system but that is thankfully not hard to change/adjust at needed.

Oh, and if you have two monitors (more than one) on your system, you'll find most of the Win7 provided screensavers only display on one screen (the primary) ... (evidence of lazy coding)... however \"Ribbons\" and \"Mystify\" will both span the attached screens.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

My goodness. Once I'm back on my computer I'll have to write a novel telling you all what it's taken to get this upgrade installing...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You should never turn disk defragmenter off and you should regularly defragment. The only exception to this rule is when you have a SSD instead of a mechanical hard drive. For SSDs you can enable TRIM which is the SSD equivalent of defrag.

The other suggestion I have is to go into system properties, click on advanced system settings, push the performance button and turn all the animations, fades and slides OFF. Leave the shadows/scrolls/misc options on, since they don't make much of a difference. Now windows and the taskbar will seem much more \"snappy\" and faster than before. Also note this is not a Windows 7 tweak but a Windows tweak in general, I do this for all versions.