Weight loss. (update)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Weight loss. (update)

Post by Isaac »

(update- scroll down to my Sun Mar 13, 2011 post)

Living in Austin, with their good fatty food and office work, I put on a few pounds.
Now that I'm going back to school I've made one dietary change. Which is, eating a balanced meal of what ever size. I found that it's not about eating less, which does help for fast results. Always have fruit (big sour granny smiths are my favorite), veggies, carbs, fat, and protein.
The point I'm trying to make is, I don't feel like I'm on a diet. And I still go out to eat, now and then, and can find ways to balance my meal.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Awesome; it looks like you've found something that's working for you. :) I've been trying some Wii Fit Plus to shed a few pounds myself, though I've royally slacked off over the past month or so.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Weight loss.

Post by Lothar »

Isaac wrote:Which is, eating a balanced meal of what ever size. I found that it's not about eating less, which does help for fast results.
Right. Focus on getting the proportions right (lots of veggies, some protein and fruit, some carbs, and a bit of fat -- and remember to stay hydrated) and you should feel like you're getting "enough" while actually only taking in enough calories to sustain a reasonable body weight.

People get fat because modern diets are too heavily focused on carbs and sugar. They end up taking in too many calories to get "full" because so many calories are coming from quickly digested, not-very-nutritious-in-other-ways sources. Every extra 3500 calories leads to a pound of body weight. (Put another way, 2 extra french fries per day will make you 40 pounds overweight in a decade.)
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I do the caveman diet. I've lost 20lbs in the last 4 months and I eat like a king.

More info...
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Weight loss.

Post by Pandora »

Lothar wrote:People get fat because modern diets are too heavily focused on carbs and sugar. They end up taking in too many calories to get "full" because so many calories are coming from quickly digested, not-very-nutritious-in-other-ways sources. Every extra 3500 calories leads to a pound of body weight. (Put another way, 2 extra french fries per day will make you 40 pounds overweight in a decade.)
I just want to second what Lothar said. Its more important to cut down on carbs than fat. All this fat-free stuff seems to have the opposite effect of what's intended. In some way, the body seems to need the satisfaction from fat, otherwise people just go on eating and eating.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Healthy diet is very important to weight control, but in the long run only exercise will let you not have to worry about those two extra French Fries.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

smoking works as well :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Pandora wrote:smoking works as well :P
Will that get me a marijuana prescription? :D
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Re:

Post by Heretic »

Isaac wrote:
That will just make you gain weight by giving you the munchies.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Isaac wrote:
Might get you emphysema. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Weight loss. (update)

Post by Isaac »

I'm now at 166lbs. I think this is my natural weight, though I'm still toning muscles.

My workout has adjusted and my diet has become more lenient, only because it's more comfortable to me.

The graph shows an inward bowing negative slope, which is what I was hoping for.

Total loss is 87.7 lbs.
Average weekly loss is 1.39 lbs.

To really understand how much weight I lost I tried picking up an 80lbs dumbbell and thought, this is how much I had on me. How did I manage life?

Anyway, here's the graph.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Holy crap, well done! I am envious. I've never been able to shed more than 30 pounds at a time before I start to creep back up the scale. But that mostly has to do with my completely unstable and rather insane life. I'm currently trying to work my way back down again after gaining about 10 pounds this year. If I can loose 30 more pounds I'll be back to my normal weight again, given there are no more disasters in my life for the next six months.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

If you don't do math, math will do you. :P You should use a linear or exponential regression for the predictive part.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

vision wrote:Holy crap, well done! I am envious. I've never been able to shed more than 30 pounds at a time before I start to creep back up the scale.
Thanks. This always used to happen to me too. In fact it's very common. I used to loose about 30 pounds then talk about all the work I put into it. The real trick to loosing weight is making it as easy as possible. Don't over do anything. Just be consistent.

vision wrote:But that mostly has to do with my completely unstable and rather insane life. I'm currently trying to work my way back down again after gaining about 10 pounds this year. If I can loose 30 more pounds I'll be back to my normal weight again, given there are no more disasters in my life for the next six months.
Right now I have no major problems in life, which I'm thankful for.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I started going to the Gym exactly 1 year ago to get myself in shape and to lose weight. I was 250 lbs and fat(keep in mind I'm 50 and 6'6") I started lifting less than a month later at the advise of my 25 year old son. it helps with his diabetes. well now a year later I'm 272 lbs. but my clothes are fitting totally different. I'm 52" across the chest and My wife is a lovin it. I'm still got some gut to lose but that's coming.
I was getting really discouraged at the gym because I wasn't losing any weight, until one of the more seasoned lifters told me to stop worrying about the scale. he pointed out that muscle weighs 3 times what fat weighs and its not how much you weigh but how you look. Granted I did change my diet (the wife's a nutrition freak) so that is getting me healthier. and now I'm leaving the house at 5:30am 5 days a week to get myself healthy. and I feel so much better :mrgreen:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

CUDA wrote:I was getting really discouraged at the gym because I wasn't losing any weight, until one of the more seasoned lifters told me to stop worrying about the scale. he pointed out that muscle weighs 3 times what fat weighs and its not how much you weigh but how you look
A very important point. The goal isn't so much to lose weight, but to get rid of excess fat. If you're building muscle while you're losing fat, you'll be much more in shape despite keeping or even increasing your weight.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I just have to say, I love my carbs.

One of these days, my diet is going to catch up to me. I guess I'll have to join a gym and start swimming then.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

snoopy wrote:I just have to say, I love my carbs.

One of these days, my diet is going to catch up to me. I guess I'll have to join a gym and start swimming then.
it sneaks up on ya snoopy. when I was 37 I was active and 217lbs, then I moved into the office and a few years later I was :shock: 250lbs :shock: let me tell ya. it aint easy getting up and out the door at 5:30am 5 days a weeks. I had to really discipline myself.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

CUDA wrote:
snoopy wrote:I just have to say, I love my carbs.

it sneaks up on ya snoopy. when I was 37 I was active and 217lbs, then I moved into the office and a few years later I was :shock: 250lbs :shock: let me tell ya. it aint easy getting up and out the door at 5:30am 5 days a weeks. I had to really discipline myself.
Since I graduated high school, I've fluctuated between 145 and 160; hitting 160 when I was lifting weights in college. I think 160 will be my "okay it's time to start doing something about this" mark.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan