Win 7 - Bluescreen and reboot

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I keep these in C:/Drivers/DirectX/Aug2009 /Feb2010 when a game does not give me the option to cancel the Direct X install part of the game(most give you the option), I run these again

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

BC2 : Bluescreen : \"System_Service_Exception\"

Game set at Dx9

Is windows 7 mem diagnostic any good? I've used it twice both times extended double pass with no errors. But then, when I had bad memory, I was crashing on other things. This is just the games crashing now.

D3 doesn't crash! :twisted:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:This is just the games crashing now.

D3 doesn't crash! :twisted:
D3 also doesn't push that 5770 GPU very hard, even at huge framerates.

Normally, I'd guess a hardware or temp issue. But I'm assuming you're watching the GPU temps, and have the fans set to keep them from going too high. Can you exchange the card, if only to eliminate it as a possible source of the problem?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper did you adjust the fan like I instructed you to?

ATI overdrive

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Bubba, yeah, had it up to 95% (the thing was howling) Temp was level at 33C and it still crashed. I've had it hotter than that 50C+ in a stress test and no crash.

Foil, I've thinking of doing this, but I'm beginning to think its some kind of software issue with Windows and the way these games are coded.

The last couple crashes I've had with the on-board sound have been wierd. I get noise now ( a loud deep gravely buzzing noise) where I wasn't getting it with the X-Fi card.

Also, Once I bootup, play the game and it crashes; if I allow it to reboot or rather \"restart\", it won't crash again. If I REBOOT, it WILL crash again. That smacks of a memory leak or file corruption.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well, it's not my video card or my sound.

I swapped out my new ATI 5770 for my old Nvidia 8600GT.

I completely diabled my sound. I took out the X-fi, and disabled the on board and went into device manager and disabled what was left (which wasn't much)

Still crashed. ..er bluescreened.

I need a better memory checker. :roll:
I'm at a loss here.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

memtest86 is the best.

but... consider that the game is just coded badly.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

neither of the memtests work on my machine. The program half loads and locks. The windows memory Diagnostic works but I'm not sure how thorough it is.

And yeah fliptw, that has crossed my mind! :lol:

Now for some reason, the game doesn't recognize half my mouse buttons. (yes the drivers are up to date.) :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper get an ubuntu 9.10 live cd and run memtest from there.....off the disk

Legit O/S?

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Another thing you can try out assuming your memory is good but perhaps the alchemy is bad, try backing off all the main timings on your memory a notch and see if it helps any. Like if the modules have a enhanced SPD of some type that lets BIOS read faster timings (or you manually set those faster timings), instead go by the regular SPD timings. Sometimes memory that is iffy on compatibility with a particular board/chip combination can be made to work well if you just slack off the timings a bit.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Bubba: I'll give that a try. Thx. and Yes sir, totally Legit.

Krom: I have the mem running at \"stardard settings\" but it's via manual. I'll just set it to Auto. Any idea what \"FPL Capability\" is on Intel boards?

Thx guys.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

no idea, just googled it and nothing useful came back
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

This is curious.

The memory I have is supposed to be T2 and is being run as T1. Now, this Intel board has no way of changing that that I can see. This seems to be a standard?

wonderful.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Duper wrote:neither of the memtests work on my machine. The program half loads and locks.
I always find it funny when people say this as if it is not a problem. You have bad ram or it is incompatible with your motherboard, simple as that. Memtest not loading is obviously a problem. Try different ram or a different motherboard.
Why doesn't it work?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

I don't have that option, unfortunately. It also seems to be an issue with some 64 bit systems.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Also X, I have a 64 bit CPU. Memetest's site is reciting programmers for 64 bit systems. That might be a problem as well.

I don't find it funny, I find it frustrating.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Duper wrote:Also X, I have a 64 bit CPU. Memetest's site is reciting programmers for 64 bit systems. That might be a problem as well.
Not sure about your 64 bit CPU but mine also runs 32 bit programs as well and as far as I know all 64 bit cpus can. So I highly doubt that could be the problem. Memtest86+ has always worked on every computer I have thrown it on (except the ones with bad ram).

In one of my computers a while back memtest would not even run. I replaced the ram and then memtest afterward ran just like it should.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

just being curious.. what program are you using to monitor your system temps and cpu workload, and has that been used during all of your trouble shooting. I know CoreTemp64 will crash your system with the G15 plugin enabled randomly, and one other plugin if not supported.. this is an example

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I am using CoreTemp64. I don't use it all the time... very seldom in fact.

Core #1 @ 70C
Core #2 @ 69C (right now)

It only climbs a few in game.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Not the point... turn it off.... do you still get BSOD's

why so hot? you should idle around 29-32C

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Agreed 70C is HOT for an Intel CPU. I idle at 40-45C in a excessively hot room and hours of prime on both cores only brings it up to ~60C and I'm overclocked on air with an older 65nm Core 2.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Krom wrote:Agreed 70C is HOT for a recent Intel CPU.
There, fixed it for ya.

I still use an old P4 laptop as a media server. Core temp gets to 85C-86C when compiling. It even has a laptop "cooler" under it. Added that after I killed a hard drive because of a lengthy compiling session. Lucky the battery didn't explode. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well I'm doing something wrong. With this cooler, @ 12v, It SHOULD be right around 30c.

I have plenty of compound on. it's on secure. the fan IS moving... 1065 rpm.

I'm at a loss. Arctic Silver is the compound.

Oh, the \"fan\" is a ZEROtherm CORE92. It's got solid reviews all around. Must be me. :roll:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

arctic silver works best when used SPARINGLY.

I can't think of any thermal compound that works better when more is used.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

the funny thing is flip, is that I had that thought too and I did have a bit much on it, so I cut way back, but enough. The temps went UP 5C.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper wrote:the fan IS moving... 1065 rpm.
Oh, the "fan" is a ZEROtherm CORE92.
Default speed is 2500RPM :idea:

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Wow, I asked what the multiplier was on my ram on the OCZ forums and the dork mod said \"well since you are unwilling to run our spec (1.65 volts) you can just leave it on auto.\"

Yeah. I'll be buying a different brand. :roll:

I ran several other programs and my temp is 28C. Coretemp seems to be giving a bogus reading.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

In my opinion, Once you resolve the issues:

- Upgrade to Opera 10.53 or later.

- Upgrade to Firefox 3.6.3 or later.

- Drop Internet Explorer (MSIE) except to do Windows Updates.

Worst case only use MSIE for pages that ONLY work in MSIE due to the incompetence of the Web Page Designer that can't learn to make Web Pages work correctly.

---

Mozilla People are very proactive on fixing issues with Firefox.

8)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

??

ok.. :)

I use Opera 10.53 at home. IE 7 only at work. Occasionally I use IE at home, but I try not to.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Duper wrote:the funny thing is flip, is that I had that thought too and I did have a bit much on it, so I cut way back, but enough. The temps went UP 5C.
I'd guess that you didn't get full contact, then. Ideally, you'll have an ultra-thin layer over the entire contact area. It's kinda a trade-off. If you try to go really light, you might end up with pockets where you're not getting good contact. If you go too heavy, then you're forcing all the heat to travel through a thicker layer of the goop.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

First time, yeah. Second time is a faulty program. My temps are normal.