What a nightmare.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

What a nightmare.

Post by Heretic »

I would hate to be the network tech who would have to find a problem here.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

If it's all documented properly, it might not bee that bad to work with.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

It's called \"job security\" :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

Isaac wrote:If it's all documented properly, it might not bee that bad to work with.
"IF" :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

No, it would still be terrible to work with even if properly documented.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

There's no way that is documented.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Heretic wrote:
Isaac wrote:If it's all documented properly, it might not bee that bad to work with.
"IF" :)
:lol:
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

That can't be good for airflow :o
si vis pacem, para bellum
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Grendel wrote:It's called "job security" :mrgreen:
x2
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

*drops his jaw*
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I have a degree in computer network support.

Even if there was incredible documentation with that, I would still be extremely hesitant to so much as touch that pile of spaghetti.

There are so many things wrong in that picture already, that having great documentation would hardly matter. Those cables look dense enough to restrict air flow to the equipment. They are all the exact same color. They are of varying length. There does not seem to be any thought given to an overall physical topology. I also highly doubt that each cable is given an identifier either on the jack its connected to or the connector terminating each end, which will make rewiring everything that much harder.

My solution: redesign the topology completely, send everyone home for the week if at all possible, unhook EVERYTHING, reposition all routers, switches, and patch boards to require a minimum of cabling, and then use as short of cables as possible to rewire that mess. If the cabling is still going to be complicated, use different colored cable for different run types. Build in space for a predicted five to ten years of growth.

In short, throw it all out, start from scratch, and make it look like this.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

That must be Microsoft's Bing. :shock:
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Are you sure those wires actually do anything? Maybe they're just trying to imitate a mozzarella topping...
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Ryujin »

Sirius wrote:Are you sure those wires actually do anything? Maybe they're just trying to imitate a mozzarella topping...
Yeah, is it possible that the networking folks were really that lazy? They just add cables and never remove?

Definitely a good picture to show new networking techs what is NOT good!
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Do you think the cables are picking up noise from each other? How will it affect network performance?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Wow.... the first time I saw that... I thought I was looking at a bale of hay. And yes, I agree with Avder... I was an installer for about a full year and a PC repair tech for about 2-3 years as well before I had to move. I worked a lot with wiring and I am going to start working toward a degree in networking this coming Spring so yes... I confirm that, THAT is a nightmare. I would get rid of all the wires, buy color coded wires or at least label them and bundle them up so that they make some sort of sense and organize all of the equipment underneath a LOT better.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

It doesn't take someone with a network degree to know a mess of a wires like that is hideous.

The last building I was at for work, we didn't have a patch panel. They just ran everything into a router (granted, it was only like 30 cables), but it was a big enough pain to track. Now we label every cable on a patch panel, and have a map of the building showing were each cable comes out.

Zip ties would do alot for that mess!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Heretic wrote:Do you think the cables are picking up noise from each other? How will it affect network performance?
I doubt it. Noise immunity is the point of twisted pairs. If they are quality cables, they may also have an overall shield. Finally, noise emitted by a cable is related to AC current running through the cable- since all of the signals are very low current, I don't think that the cables themselves emit much noise. Really, the time that you worry about noise is when you have something like a motor wire (high current, usually really spikey, too) running next to a signal cable.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Heretic wrote:Do you think the cables are picking up noise from each other? How will it affect network performance?
I doubt it, but the way they are wired, it wouldn't surprise me that the connectors were crimped wrong, the wires have been twisted such that the pairs no longer twist as required to self-negate interference, or they're just plain bad, cheap cables that muck everything up.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

That's probably the MS india server room
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I honestly don't think it's that bad. You should see the backs of the telephone switching crossbars at this museum...

As long as you have proper documentation, processes, and test equipment, something like this isn't that bad to deal with.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Lothar wrote:I honestly don't think it's that bad. You should see the backs of the telephone switching crossbars at this museum...

As long as you have proper documentation, processes, and test equipment, something like this isn't that bad to deal with.
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it"
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!