Rubik's Cube Distilled

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Rubik's Cube Distilled

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's been found that every possible solution to the Rubik's Cube can be performed in only 20 moves or less!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plug ... on/1407748
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I must assume that you are talking about the 3 by 3 version. The 3 by 3 version the centers are always oriented in the same position.

The 4 by 4 Rubik's Cube the centers can be moved from their original positions. It has been a long time since I worked on the 4 by 4 version. The trick is to get all the centers and the edges properly oriented... then it can be solved using the 3 x 3 methods.

Interesting article.

:)
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Wow, that's pretty amazing.

I'm also curious to know just how good those Google computers are.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The article's referring to the 3 X 3 version. Hey, I've got a few versions that are not cube shaped. I went into a collecting frenzy when they were popular years ago. One's a ball shape, one's a tetrahedron and I think the other is an octahedron, plus the 4 X 4 biggie cube. I'll take a pic of my collection for everyone after I dig them out of storage. :lol:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Sniff…is that mothballs I smell?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Spidey wrote:Sniff…is that mothballs I smell?
I'm curious, did you hold the moth by the legs or by the wings?

It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

AlphaDoG wrote:
Spidey wrote:Sniff…is that mothballs I smell?
I'm curious, did you hold the moth by the legs or by the wings?

:lol: aww... nuts..
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I've seen some disgustingly complicated variations of the rubix cube on youtube.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Veeeeeeery funny boys. I have a convenient basement with all sorts of collectibles stored in boxes, but sorry, no moths. You'd like my Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark stuff.

But I did find my Rubik's collection. Bought most of it in the late 1980's. Some pretty weird shapes here, but the original is in the middle:

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

At a recent LAN event, one of the attendees brought his 7x7 Cube, and I watched him solve it in around fifteen minutes. Highly impressive stuff.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Stumbled into this accidentally. Programmable matter.

Universal Rubik's Cube
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You are missing the 2x2x2 cube. :P
ImageImage
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Can every one here solve these? I can't. :(
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I never had the patience to learn how to solve them.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Oh, so it's something you learn.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

It's all about algorithms and move combinations. It's not hard unless you're trying to put together a standard process, or figure out you \"own\" way to do it. Too many guides all over the Internet to really call it hard.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

tunnelcat wrote:Stumbled into this accidentally. Programmable matter.

Universal Rubik's Cube

Now that is awesome. Thanks for posting.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Isaac wrote:Oh, so it's something you learn.
Yeah, you learn how to break it down into steps, and learn how to make progress without messing up what you already have.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

You can learn to solve any of them with a lot of patience and learning the methods to solve them.

The 3x3 there was a book out a long time ago.

The trick is to do like Computer Programming and divide and subdivide the seemingly impossible into small solvable parts. The when you do each small part properly you can solve it.

The way I solve the 3x3 cube is pretty simple.

Given that the centers don't move on a 3 x 3 cube.

First Pick any side as the \"top\" face... solve that 1/3 of the problem. Next the 4 middle pieces on the side. Now 2/3's of the problem is solved. Next the 4 bottom corners... then lastly the 4 non-corner pieces on the bottom face... Voila' done.

The 4 x 4 is little more complex but a similar set of methods can be used.

8)
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

SirWinner wrote:You can learn to solve any of them with a lot of patience and learning the methods to solve them.

The 3x3 there was a book out a long time ago.

The trick is to do like Computer Programming and divide and subdivide the seemingly impossible into small solvable parts. The when you do each small part properly you can solve it.

The way I solve the 3x3 cube is pretty simple.

Given that the centers don't move on a 3 x 3 cube.

First Pick any side as the "top" face... solve that 1/3 of the problem. Next the 4 middle pieces on the side. Now 2/3's of the problem is solved. Next the 4 bottom corners... then lastly the 4 non-corner pieces on the bottom face... Voila' done.

The 4 x 4 is little more complex but a similar set of methods can be used.

8)
My momma told me that gators are unreasonable due to the fact they have so many teeth and can't use a toothbrush. She also told me, "stupid is as stupid does."

Sorry to mish-mash two separate movies together.

That being said, good thread.

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

This reminds me of the controversy among math nerds as to whether computer-assisted proofs are \"real\" proofs or not. There really is something less satisfying about having to brute force the verification.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Jeff250 wrote:This reminds me of the controversy among math nerds as to whether computer-assisted proofs are "real" proofs or not.
Exactly. It's not so much that computer-assisted proofs are not rigorous (IMO they are, as long as the software/algorithm can stand up to rigorous review). The debate is more along the lines of whether computer-assisted proofs should be considered as valid as a more abstract proof.
Jeff250 wrote:There really is something less satisfying about having to brute force the verification.
For a math nerd, you're absolutely right. Resorting to an exhaustive method because one can't find a more mathematically-elegant proof feels like a letdown.

To wit, I remember an attempt I made during my last year of undergraduate work to disprove a conjecture regarding certain types of algebraic groups. To my dismay, I ended up having to build a piece of software to run through all the billion or so possibilities I needed to check. Unfortunately, the process required more cpu time than I had available. Ended up receiving the lowest grade I ever got for a math course. :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Here's a robot that solves a standard cube in 12 seconds:

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

5x5x5

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I always thought you solved them by peeling the stickers off and putting them back on. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

AlphaDoG wrote:5x5x5

That one's fun to watch, especially since the robot is made out of Lego's! I wish I had the 5 X 5 cube to add to my collection.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Top Gun wrote:I always thought you solved them by peeling the stickers off and putting them back on. :P
It's easier to pop our the pieces and reassemble it. But can you do it in 6 seconds? :p
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

A mathematician, physicist, and biologist observe an empty house. They see two people go in, and three people come out.

The physicist says, \"We must of made a statistical error, that is the only way to explain how two people went in, and three people came out.\"

The Biologist says, \"They must of procreated, that is the only way that two people can go in, and then three people can come out.\"

The mathematician looks at the other two and says, \"Ya know, if one of us goes in there, the house will be empty.\"

(Not relevant to the thread, but I think I got the right audience ;) )
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

LOL

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Foil wrote:Exactly. It's not so much that computer-assisted proofs are not rigorous (IMO they are, as long as the software/algorithm can stand up to rigorous review).
I agree. It's not like even most mathematical proofs are written as formal proofs (thank the gods), so even they're not verifiable without some human intuition.
Foil wrote:For a math nerd, you're absolutely right. Resorting to an exhaustive method because one can't find a more mathematically-elegant proof feels like a letdown.
Or for me as a CS nerd with some math nerd intersection. :)

edit: I suppose as a CS nerd you would think that I would find the computer-assisted proofs somewhat more satisfying...
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Gooberman wrote:A mathematician, physicist, and biologist observe an empty house. They see two people go in, and three people come out.

The physicist says, "We must of made a statistical error, that is the only way to explain how two people went in, and three people came out."

The Biologist says, "They must of procreated, that is the only way that two people can go in, and then three people can come out."

The mathematician looks at the other two and says, "Ya know, if one of us goes in there, the house will be empty."

(Not relevant to the thread, but I think I got the right audience ;) )
My God - a funny Maths joke! :-)