Would you pay to Speed?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Would you pay to Speed?

Post by Heretic »

Seems like the Nevada gubernatorial candidate wants a pay to speed plan to fill the state coffers. Just dial in pay 25 dollars and you get to speed for 24 hours. I wonder how long before the death rates from auto crashes goes up. They could probability make some money that way but at what cost.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nat ... 9038.story
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

LOL, I'd pay it, best to pay up front if you ask me.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Well, for starters there will be designated roads. That means sings will be placed warning other drivers that these certain roads are carrying high speed traffic.

Second, cars will have to pass a safety inspection. so if they find anything wrong with your car, you will have to get it fixed first.

Third thing is they will place a transponder in the car. That will allow them to track your vehicle and make sure other people are out of harm's way.

If people are hit, it would be because they ignored all warnings.

I wish the story went into more detail. It might be interesting to see exactly how they're going to pull it off
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

have you ever driven in Nevada???
out side of the Cities there are no enforced speed limits. about 20 years ago I traveled to Vegas to visit some family that was there from the east coast. as I was heading home I traveled through a small town that had a 35 MPH speed limit, which I obeyed as I saw the state police sitting along side the road. about 3 mile out of town I hit the cruise and pushed it up to 95, I soon after looked in my rear view Mirror where I saw one of the state police cars right behind me. my first thought was CRAP expensive ticket. but imagine my surprise when the officer passed me and left me in his dust. no lights or sirens.

Speeding in Nevada is an everyday occurrence this will just be a revenue collector for the non residents that don't know any better
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Speeding is extraordinarily stupid and dangerous (in most cases.) I really don't understand why people think cars are playthings or get amusement out of going fast.

If you wanna drag race or go over 65, take it to a closed racetrack. You're more than welcome to splatter your own brains on the pavement so long as you don't put me at risk too.

Roads are for transportation- nothing more or less. I want to be able to commute or travel in as much relative safety as possible.

I really wish you had to pass an IQ test along with other driving tests to be able to operate a vehicle on public roadways. If you don't have an IQ of 110 or over, no license!

This would SAVE LIVES, lower insurance costs and beef up public transportation (saving fuel costs as well.)

:P
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I think most Muslims would agree.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

ThunderBunny wrote:Roads are for transportation
Go to google maps and take a look at I-94 through North Dakota. Check it out on street view. That's not a road meant for driving 65 mph. That's a road meant for transportation at 95 mph.

The same is true for many interstates in rural Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, and so on. If the weather's clear and it's daytime, it's perfectly safe to floor it for long stretches of those roads.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Ferno wrote:Third thing is they will place a transponder in the car. That will allow them to track your vehicle and make sure other people are out of harm's way.
no no no no no and no

I, too, have pushed 110 on I-94. Frickin' ruled.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Too bad you survived. You'll live another day to kill someone with your stupidity.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

ThunderBunny wrote:...Roads are for transportation- nothing more or less....
You have no soul.

I sold the bike but still have the Porsche and will give you your soul back..let me know if you ever get to South Carolina and I'll heal you ;)
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

ThunderBunny wrote:
Too bad you survived. You'll live another day to kill someone with your stupidity.
There was nobody else on the road. You've never been out there, obviously. Everyone is going at least 80.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

Will Robinson wrote:
ThunderBunny wrote:...Roads are for transportation- nothing more or less....
You have no soul.

I sold the bike but still have the Porsche and will give you your soul back..let me know if you ever get to South Carolina and I'll heal you ;)
I don't have a Porsche but I do have this. Nothing like doing 110 on the open road in the middle of the night.

Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

null0010 wrote:
no no no no no and no

yes yes yes yes yes.

Did you read the story?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:
ThunderBunny wrote:
There was nobody else on the road. You've never been out there, obviously. Everyone is going at least 80.
you dont need to defend your position to TB. his comments were out of line.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

you dont need to defend your position to TB. his comments were out of line.
With respect, they weren't.

If you go out in a public space and use already dangerous machinery in a manner that is unsafe for other people around you, you don't deserve any respect from me.

Public roadways are for transportation and NOT dangerous \"recreation.\"

If you want to take your own life in your hands and race around in a closed race track, be my guest.

We already have to deal with idiots that drink and drive...run stop lights and/or decide to race or do stunts on the streets.

If people speed or go DUI and kill someone else, I say the offender deserves the DEATH PENALTY for his stupidity and lack of respect for others lives.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

This is one of the few times (it seems) that I agree with you 95%. Doing stupid stuff is great, do it on your own time in a location that isn't potentially lethal to those who aren't taking their own life in their hands.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Well, I hate to disagree with you but don't you take your own life in your hands every time you step out of the house? Every time you go out to eat? Every time you walk across a street? Ever time you drive? Every time you fly? There is no such thing as a person not taking their own life in their hands.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Life is a gamble. However when YOU gamble others shouldn't be involved.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

ThunderBunny wrote:Public roadways are for transportation and NOT dangerous "recreation."
if you keep that up you might hurt my feelings
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

d3jake wrote:Doing stupid stuff is great, do it on your own time in a location that isn't potentially lethal to those who aren't taking their own life in their hands.
It's not "stupid" to drive faster than 65 mph, as TB suggests. Safe driving is relative to the conditions you're driving in; I-94 through North Dakota with clear weather is pretty damn safe at much higher speeds. Which is why everyone else on I-94 is also doing 80+ -- so you're not exactly endangering them any more than they're endangering themselves.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Agreed. if speed kills why aren't all the nations speed limits set at 25 MPH?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

There are plenty of studies that show higher speed doesn't translate to higher accident rates or even higher mortality rate per accident. Of course running 85 through a 35 will end poorly but it is all about conditions and other cars not some magic limit.

Heretic, SWEET Mustang! One of the best looking cars made today. I couldn't afford a new car at the time so went with the 20 year old bargain
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Simple matter of physics.

The faster a car travels, the harder it is to stop or make evasive moves to avoid hazards.

Things that would be minor annoyances, like a blown tire or an unexpected obstacle like a rock or large animal become lethal- not just because of the speed of impact, but the inability for a human being to react quickly enough to avoid a fatal crash.

You may think you're in control- but you'll lose it instantly- even with a \"light\" glancing blow or over correction in steering.

Laws of physics in this universe are unforgiving.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

CUDA wrote:you dont need to defend your position to TB. his comments were out of line.
I don't entirely agree with ThunderBunny on this, but his comments didn't seem "out of line" to me. Just a difference of opinion.
ThunderBunny wrote:Simple matter of physics. The faster a car travels, the harder it is to stop or make evasive moves to avoid hazards.
This is true, but the biggest hazard on a road are the other vehicles. So your speed relative to the speed of the other vehicles is a very important factor. Sometimes it's actually safer to be going faster if thats what brings you to a relative stop with the other cars.

I drive one of these:

Laugh at the nerdmobile all you want. I've got a top speed of around 115mph. And I can do it while getting two to three times the gas mileage of the porsche or GT! :)

(Full disclaimer: I've NEVER pushed it anywhere NEAR to 115mph, I'm basing that on Rode and Track's numbers)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Kilarin…implying somebody should have died, is not out of line?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Spidey wrote:Kilarin…implying somebody should have died, is not out of line?
Ok, had to go back through the thread line by line. You're right, I apparently skimmed right over that.

So, my apologies Cuda. Yeah, "Too bad you survived" is out of line.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

ThunderBunny wrote:The faster a car travels, the harder it is to stop or make evasive moves to avoid hazards.
Conversely, the more wide-open and straight the road, the more space you have to stop, evade, or avoid hazards.

Doing 95+ on I-94 through North Dakota in clear weather is safer than doing 35 on most city streets, and MUCH safer than doing 25 on those same city streets in the snow.

I'm all for safe driving. After all, I've got my kid in the car with me most of the time. But like Will said, "it is all about conditions and other cars not some magic limit."
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

As long as you aren't like this id 10 t you should be just fine.

Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Kilarin wrote: Laugh at the nerdmobile all you want. I've got a top speed of around 115mph. And I can do it while getting two to three times the gas mileage of the porsche or GT! :)

(Full disclaimer: I've NEVER pushed it anywhere NEAR to 115mph, I'm basing that on Rode and Track's numbers)
whereas a VW polo makes the prius look like a gas guzzler in terms of MPG.

and TB: wishing death on someone like that is out of line. You may disagree, but it was really callous. And trying to justify it with laws of physics? You've got problems, son.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Ferno wrote:whereas a VW polo makes the prius look like a gas guzzler in terms of MPG.
Well yes, but the polo isn't a CAR, its a wind up toy! :)

I've got a friend who drives a diesel Jetta and he keeps beating my gas mileage! Grrrrr! :x
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Kilarin wrote:
Spidey wrote:Kilarin…implying somebody should have died, is not out of line?
Ok, had to go back through the thread line by line. You're right, I apparently skimmed right over that.

So, my apologies Cuda. Yeah, "Too bad you survived" is out of line.
no sweat. I've skimmed my foot in my mouth plenty of times :P

― Theodore Roosevelt