Chilean miner rescue

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Chilean miner rescue

Post by Heretic »

Wow what an ordeal for those miners suck down in the mine for 69 days. I watch as they pulled miner after miner up yesterday. Then I notice what a photo op people were making it out to be. I'm glad they made it out alive but am pissed by the governmental photo ops. I also seen that each miner had a new Tee Shirt I'm not sure what it said but I am hoping it didn't say \"I was stuck in a mine for 69 days and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt.\"

All in all a very happy out come.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

It doesn't really bother me that it was a photo-op, because frankly, I can't recall the last inspiring thing that I saw in the mainstream media.

And hopefully, it will bring attention to the situation more world wide.
An average of more than seven Chinese miners died each day last year, totaling 2,631, according to official figures. That makes their profession 100 times more dangerous than it is in the United States.
link
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Personally, I think it was awesome they got out alive and glad America was portrayed in a positive light for a change.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The american political media isn't missing their chance to do a virtual photo op either. Chris Mathews from MSNBC managed to work the Tea Party angle into it by suggesting that if those miners practiced Tea Party politics 'they would have never got out alive' and instead 'would have killed each other of within a few days.'

I wonder if Chris can possibly come up with a less clever way to shove his nose any farther up the democrats butt?!? Maybe the next time an Amber alert works out he can report on it and do a child rapist angle on the Tea Party?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I dislike the tea party as much as the next guy, but that does seem a little ham-handed and stupid. :|
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Something has been bothering me about the whole media circus atmosphere surrounding this thing and it finally hit me! I saw this movie years ago and if they ever put this movie back on TV or the net, watch it. It damn near parallels the Chilean Mine disaster, except for the ending of course, and it was a pretty good movie too!

The Big Carnival
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Will Robinson wrote:The american political media isn't missing their chance to do a virtual photo op either. Chris Mathews from MSNBC managed to work the Tea Party angle into it by suggesting that if those miners practiced Tea Party politics 'they would have never got out alive' and instead 'would have killed each other of within a few days.
Only conservatives watch Chris Mathews. Stop paying attention to him, hes just a conservative heel to keep you voting for republicans.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

LOL!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes, very awesome rescue.

Remember, we did it first here in Pennsylvania, back in 2002. (not taking anything away from this one, just blowing our horn)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Chilean miner rescue

Post by Lothar »

Heretic wrote:I also seen that each miner had a new Tee Shirt I'm not sure what it said
They're from the "Jesus Film Project". The group that produces the film had some contact with the Chilean miners (sent them audio bibles and such). The miners asked them to send the custom t-shirts, which they wore during the rescue.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/1 ... -t-shirts/

http://www.ccci.org/ministries-and-loca ... miners.htm