Found a couple cool features in the chrome

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Found a couple cool features in the chrome

Post by Thenior »

I recently recall seeing a screenshot of multiple profiles in chrome. Well, I stumbled upon "about:flags", and found the option to enable it. Works great!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Found a couple cool features in the chrome

Post by Isaac »

I have version 13.0.782.112. I don't see flags anywhere.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Just type "about:flags" or "chrome://flags/" in the URL
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Woaaaaaahhh!!!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The hell?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Careful with the GPU stuff. "GPU compositing on all pages" does some funky stuff to gmail.

Not sure what benefit "Run PPAPI Flash in the renderer process" has... does nothing on youtube.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I enabled GPU acceleration - works great for Canvas games. I like the profile feature a lot - no longer have to do silly desktop shortcuts to various profiles.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I guess I should start using chrome?

I don't completely trust google with *all* of my data.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I like chrome simply because it's snappier, and has good built in dev tools.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'd use chrome, but firefox still has the best add-ons.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Mozilla bent over backwards to make extensions portable and easy to write. I don't know if Google has gone to the same extremes.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

snoopy wrote:I don't completely trust google with *all* of my data.
http://www.chromium.org
Krom wrote:I'd use chrome, but firefox still has the best add-ons.
Could be sooner than you think. Mozilla continues to dig its own grave with the rapid release program. Many people have jumped ship for Chrome or Safari. Along with one of the programmers behind Firebug.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...which they got from Chrome. Jumping ship to that if you have problems with frequent releases isn't exactly a brainiac move.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Chrome just runs better on my system. Fire Fox still feels like a shopping cart while Chrome is like a fuel efficient luxury car.

Firefox is best at being Firefox 3 since there are a few sites out there that still require Firefox 3 to use their site, like FASFA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/, making an upgrade to Firefox 4 or higher pointless. (Trying to fake your browser ID does not work with FASFA. They use some other method.)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

A browser shouldn't be blamed for a website that's too incompetent to follow proper web standards.

I've stuck with Firefox because I've honestly seen absolutely no reason to switch over to Chrome. The "speed" argument never made much sense to me, since the only performance issues I normally have while browsing come from my flaky wireless connection.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

It's the elements and the javascript - chrome has a very superior rendering engine. Plus, every computer I've been on, firefox takes 3x times to start then chrome does.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Even if chrome takes one third the time to start that firefox does, it makes no discernible difference to me. One third of of instantly is still instantly...

The rendering performance of chrome is impressive, but I only know of a single site where it makes any significant difference because it does a titanic amount of AJAX, but firefox isn't far enough behind for me to care (although IE is typically light-years behind). Once just for kicks I took a stopwatch and timed the three major browsers on a particular operation on this site. Chrome took 5 seconds, FF took 7 seconds, IE took 19 seconds (and it was cached for each test to eliminate the network latency).
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Thenior wrote:It's the elements and the javascript - chrome has a very superior rendering engine. Plus, every computer I've been on, firefox takes 3x times to start then chrome does.
I'm going to disagree with the javascript being better in Chome. That's because I've gotten too many times when javascript driven stuff bogged down in Chrome while Firefox handled it with ease and reliability. I have Chrome on all of my computers (except my iPad, thank gosh) and with every system Chrome has not distinguished itself from the other browsers and I've tried to use it with all the sites I go to. I've even tried to get my family to use it. They all (no exception) ended up using Firefox because a) it works for what they wanted and b) performed as well or better than Chome.

For me (and my family) Chrome is "Nice try but No Sale." Until it can manage to show exceptional performance (that you don't have to measure with a meter) and comparable ease of use (it could use some work there), then it might be worth the effort.

Firefox always way slow? Then you've most certainly got the wrong add-ons (which is good advice with any browser).

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Sirius wrote:...which they got from Chrome. Jumping ship to that if you have problems with frequent releases isn't exactly a brainiac move.
Not entirely true. Some of it comes from people that like to use certain features the anti-virus or security suit offers. Look out if that anti-whatever isn't working properly. Which leads to another problem. Not all software companies will waste time and money trying to keep up with Firefox. So you really can't blame people for wanting to step out of their safety zone.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uh... what?
Sirius wrote:Jumping ship to that if you have problems with frequent releases isn't exactly a brainiac move.
I'm not seeing how this isn't true. Does Chrome not have frequent releases? (It does.) Is Chrome's frequent releases somehow different from Firefox's frequent releases in a way that makes it more tolerable? I don't see how?

The AV stuff is a non-sequitur, it's not what I was talking about.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I think he's referring to companies like McAfee that lately have been notorious for not keeping their Firefox extensions up to date. But since (AFAIK) they don't even have Chrome extensions, much less keep them up to date, I still don't see how switching to Chrome is an advantage.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

yeah, I never really used many FF extensions, so it didn't matter to me.

I did a test booting up FF and Chrome, and they were nearly even. Last time I did that, FF lagged way behind.

As for rendering speed, if you run some basic javascript benchmarks, you'll see FF lag behind. IE9 actually does the best for me, since it seems to have good hardware acceleration - IE8 was waaaay worse
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Sirius wrote:...which they got from Chrome. Jumping ship to that if you have problems with frequent releases isn't exactly a brainiac move.
Lol I guess I don't have that problem.

You can literally update Arch linux about every hour.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Guess I should have made it a bit more clear. I was also referring to other browsers, other than just chrome. Sorry for the confusion on my part Sirius. I was trying to point out that there are others reasons why so many are jumping around.