Curry favors amounst the xenophobes

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Curry favors amounst the xenophobes

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, it was bound to happen in a nasty political race. One of Romney's unnamed advisers, finally stooped low in England and used the "Obama doesn't appreciate White Anglo-Saxon Heritage" or in layman's terms, "Black Obama doesn't like white people" card. Romney's "denying" anyone in his camp said that, of course AFTER it's been circulated in the world press. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... erica.html

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... ics/54987/

I'm guessing Obama might have to dig out the "Mormonism is a cult" card to rile the Evangelicals in response, although I don't think even he would stoop that low. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Curry favors amounst the xenophobes

Post by callmeslick »

I doubt he' ll have to 'trot out' anything of the sort. This sort of crap does Romney no favors.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, he's doubling down on the denials. Now he's blaming Biden, the favorite punching bag of conservatives, and a "foreign newspaper" for the smear campaign. Uh, huh. The Daily Telegraph is standing by the "unnamed adviser" and what he said. No walking back on this one Romney, unless you can prove you got the Murdoch tabloid scandal treatment. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

while he's at it, let him try to dance out of insulting his hosts over the Olympics......he is going to beat Bob Dole yet as the most inept campaign ever.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:Well, it was bound to happen in a nasty political race. One of Romney's unnamed advisers, finally stooped low in England and used the "Obama doesn't appreciate White Anglo-Saxon Heritage" or in layman's terms, "Black Obama doesn't like white people" card. Romney's "denying" anyone in his camp said that, of course AFTER it's been circulated in the world press. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... erica.html

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... ics/54987/

I'm guessing Obama might have to dig out the "Mormonism is a cult" card to rile the Evangelicals in response, although I don't think even he would stoop that low. :P
I always love it when the liberal spin machine has to pull out the "Un-named Sources" smoke screen to take a shot. I guess when your totally inept Commander in Chief says to business owners that they didn't start their business...someone else did and then furiously has to back pedal to explain what he meant. Making up comments is a pathetic attempt at deflection.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:while he's at it, let him try to dance out of insulting his hosts over the Olympics......he is going to beat Bob Dole yet as the most inept campaign ever.
Except Romney knows exactly what it takes to save a failing Olympics. Maybe the Brits should listen to him. I mean even the security company the Brits picked has failed to hire enough people. It would be a bigger insult if Romney kept his yap shut and then the Brits discovered he could of helped.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

seems the Brits don't agree
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:I guess when your totally inept Commander in Chief says to business owners that they didn't start their business...someone else did and then furiously has to back pedal to explain what he meant.
It's funny how everyone with half a brain who listened to Obama's entire paragraph knew exactly what he meant. Too bad Romney's campaign managers don't fall into that category.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Especially considering that Mitt Romney said the identical thing the previous day at a town hall in Ohio. And at the Olympics in 2002.

Not the first time Fox News selectively edited Obama's comments to make him look bad. Romney was getting killed in the press with the tax return crap; they had to think of something to try and turn the tides. Amazing that it works the way it does because looking at the transcript and hearing the entire piece there is no malice in his words.

So what do you think woodchip, when Romney said it was it bad as well then?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:
woodchip wrote:I guess when your totally inept Commander in Chief says to business owners that they didn't start their business...someone else did and then furiously has to back pedal to explain what he meant.
It's funny how everyone with half a brain who listened to Obama's entire paragraph knew exactly what he meant. Too bad Romney's campaign managers don't fall into that category.
If everyone knew then there was no reason to backpedal.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CobGobbler wrote:Especially considering that Mitt Romney said the identical thing the previous day at a town hall in Ohio. And at the Olympics in 2002.

Not the first time Fox News selectively edited Obama's comments to make him look bad. Romney was getting killed in the press with the tax return crap; they had to think of something to try and turn the tides. Amazing that it works the way it does because looking at the transcript and hearing the entire piece there is no malice in his words.

So what do you think woodchip, when Romney said it was it bad as well then?
Give me a link to where Romney said that.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
If everyone knew then there was no reason to backpedal.
Note the "half a brain" qualifier. That removes a decent chunk of our nation by default.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
Someone listens to Fox News propaganda too much. I listened to both versions of Obama's speech, the original and the Fox version. Fox deliberately cut out one little part that made all the difference in the meaning, and Romney ran with it like the lying, pontificating, bloviating ignoramus that he is. Shame on Romney AND Fox News.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/07/18 ... -fo/187205

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/07/ ... ?mobile=nc

Speaking of pontificating, Romney also managed to piss off the British Prime Minister. So much for a first start at foreign policy. :P

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/5 ... e.html.csp
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, this just gets better and better! Romney not only had a secret meeting with those bankers involved in the Libor interest rate rigging scandal, but he also had a case of bragging motormouth when he revealed that he met with people from MI6, something the Brits rarely mention in polite company.

But, I guess Romney has a massive case of self-importance and self worship. He's the ONLY leader of any Olympics to ever commission an entire line of his own Olympic pins, with his over-caricatured mug plastered on most them, all made in China of course!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski ... rtoon-mitt

CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

From Romney's town hall speech in Bowling Green

Mr. Romney invited the business owners in the crowd to stand.

"I know a lot of people helped you in business, perhaps the banks, investors, no question your mom and dad, schoolteachers, the people who build roads. There are a lot of people in government who help us, we all recognize that. But don't forget government doesn't create those people out of thin air, we pay for those people out of our taxes," he said.

Now I'm well aware that you will say it's completely different woodchip, and if you look at the misquoted effort then of course, but the point of the message is the same. Everyone in a society works together to get things done. Had the government not pushed NASA to get to the moon, how many products would we not have because of their work? All things are connected in this world. Steve Jobs didn't build Apple on his own, Steve Wozniak was there the entire time. Same with Bill Gates. Ray Krock watched a burger stand in California and got his idea for McDonald's.

Everything works better when people work together. Both Obama and Romney were right...I don't know why that's such a bad thing to say. It's the truth.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Obama stole it from Elizabeth Warren and Romney stole it from Obama. And Warren's words were the best version of the truth. We can't make a strong, stable society from a bunch of self-serving, greedy individuals out for themselves. We all had help to get to where we are today.

CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

That's pretty much the point and it's not the nefarious idea that the GOP wants it to be. But it had the exact effect that Fox News wanted, it changed the topic that was absolutely killing Romney.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:seems the Brits don't agree
Well I suspect Obama's actions toward the Brits sat even less well. You do remember one of the first thing our august leader in training pants did was to remove Winston Churchill's bust from the oval office. While most of you want to focus on Romney s security statement, what you conveniently (or deliberately) forgot was Romney also saying one of the first things he'd do is return Winnie's bust back to the oval office. Now it seems that part of his interiew got the White House in a tither as:

"The White House incorrectly claimed that a bust of Winston Churchill was not removed from the White House when President Obama moved in, insisting with emphatic certainty that it had simply been moved to the residence but then retracting the assertion."

"In a “Fact Check” post added to the White House website Friday, White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer scornfully dismissed as “100% false” the “rumor” that Obama had removed the Churchill bust that had presided over the George W. Bush Oval Office and shipped it back to the British."

Of course when you are in the habit of lying you eventually get caught:

"In what he labeled an “Update” but which is actually a “Correction,” Pfeiffer later added that there are in fact two busts, and the one that was in the Oval Office was indeed removed when Obama took office. Gone is the truculent assertion that the bust that had been in the Oval Office wasn’t removed from the White House. The claim now is merely that Obama doesn’t hate the British."

"As originally stated by those wild rumormongers, the bust is in possession of the British, at their ambassador’s residence in Washington, presumably awaiting return to the Oval Office should Mitt Romney become president."

So you see how you are trying to be manipulated? I suggest you get out in the sunshine, plug in your radios and listen to something other than the state run pravda-esqe news proggies. Might clear up your cognitive skills.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Who gives a ★■◆● about a friggin bust?!?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Obviously you are not British.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

No, I'm not British. Maybe I would respect Churchhill more if I didn't know about the millions in India that were starved / killed under his tenure. But even so, please remind me why the movement of a mini-statue is such a big deal? For the record, I didn't think Mitt's Olympic comments were that big a deal either.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Obviously you are not British.
equally obvious, not ONE of my several dozen British friends and acquaintences has ever mentioned it, so the point is well taken.
The usual, standard, groping for non-issues around Obama. Pathetic, when taken as a whole, but for those of us with a sicker sense of humor, hilarious to watch. Keep on dancing, Bro!!!
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The devil's in the details woody. There are 2 exact duplicate busts of Churchill. The one removed by the Obama Administration was the one loaned to G.W. Bush by Prime Minister Blair with the intention to be displayed for the duration of Bush's presidency. That one was removed, as is all artwork when the presidency changes, and the bust in question was given to the British Ambassador for his residence. The original bust, from the 1960's, has always been in the White House Residence and was never removed. It didn't help things that White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffe essentially lied about what happened to Bush's Churchill bust. Oopsie. So technically, Krauthammer and the rest of the conservative talking heads were right about Obama removing A bust of Churchill. But whether Pfeiffe blew it or not, there is still an exact copy of the Epstein bust of Churchill located in the White House Residence. Obama is NOT dissing the Brits Mr. Romney, unlike what YOU did during your visit. On second thought, why aren't all the righties happy that Obama has a bust of Abraham Lincoln, a Republican, displayed in Churchill's stead? I guess you can't please all the reactionaries. :P

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nileg ... hill-bust/
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

The bust of Abraham Lincoln? Do you really have to ask, TC? It's because of the Obama = Lincoln BS before and after his election. That's just an insult to Lincoln, if you ask me--they're playing on Lincoln's popularity because he is portrayed as a champion against slavery.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

The point is, Sgt. Thorne, that the attack on Obama about the whole bust issue is idiotic. You can take issue with the whole Obama = Lincoln press fixation if you like, but the current debate about Churchill's bust is equally as dumb.

If the GOP wants to have an argument about Obama's policies, then that's up for legitimate grabs. But these types of attacks are extremely pathetic for a man aspiring to be President. Romney's campaign comes off like an insecure child that throws ★■◆● at the wall and hopes for something to stick. For someone that is supposed to be an extremely well-functioning businessman, he sure runs a campaign like a high school drop-out invalid.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

That's why I never argued with it, Cob. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:The bust of Abraham Lincoln? Do you really have to ask, TC? It's because of the Obama = Lincoln BS before and after his election. That's just an insult to Lincoln, if you ask me--they're playing on Lincoln's popularity because he is portrayed as a champion against slavery.
Put it this way, if I were the first Black President of the United States, I'd have a bust of Lincoln put in the Oval Office out of reverence and appreciation. After all, he did free the slaves. That's a pretty big deal in the history of African Americans. I noticed you didn't comment on the tail of the 2 Churchill busts and the fake outrage over just the ONE, that was only loaned to BUSH.

As for Romney, he just can't keep his mouth from dribbling out insults to some party or person on his insult the world tour. :P

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... sfeed=true

With him as pres, he could start WWIII just by opening his mouth. :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Yeah, lets keep the guy who calls a police officer stupid for doing his job.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

tunnelcat wrote:Put it this way, if I were the first Black President of the United States, I'd have a bust of Lincoln put in the Oval Office out of reverence and appreciation.
Which, I would say, would be commendable. But you're projecting. I don't give many people in politics that much credit when it comes to having sincere motives. I know too much about marketing, too much about politics, and too much about Obama in particular.
tunnelcat wrote:I noticed you didn't comment on the tail of the 2 Churchill busts and the fake outrage over just the ONE, that was only loaned to BUSH.
That's because I thought you dealt with it well enough, and I'd never looked into it.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Yeah, lets keep the guy who calls a police officer stupid for doing his job.

more blind hate.....or,did you forget how it actually got turned into a pretty unifying moment?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

ah yes, the beer summit...after Obama realized what a ass he had been and was trying to wash the egg off his face.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:ah yes, the beer summit...after Obama realized what a ass he had been and was trying to wash the egg off his face.

and, you don't make mistakes? AT least he was man enough to cop to it. It was a sort of nebulous incident that triggered the whole thing, and unless you are a black man, you or I will never truly understand the generations of history that complicates incidents like that one. We can only hope to be understanding of where the Professor and the President's reactions came from.
George Orwell---"1984"
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

callmeslick wrote: AT least he was man enough to cop to it. It was a sort of nebulous incident that triggered the whole thing, and unless you are a black man, you or I will never truly understand the generations of history that complicates incidents like that one. We can only hope to be understanding of where the Professor and the President's reactions came from.
When exactly did Obama cop to an error? Sharing brews around the table within camerashot of the photogs is vastly different than getting up in front of the same photogs and reporters and admitting that he should have just kept his big mouth shut with the blame thing. Had he told the hysterical media people from the start that what they really needed to do was just calm down, let's all take a step back and find out what the facts in this case were, then I could have had a lot more respect for that position. As it was, this was just one of the first events that told me that we were going to be in for rough slog with the new chief executive.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Top Gun wrote:
Actually, it appears that any number of people with more than half a brain still don't manage to see things from your point of view -
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-0 ... that-.html
Three weeks later, Obama’s comment is still a big deal.

Although his supporters pooh-pooh the controversy, claiming the statement has been taken out of context and that he was referring only to public infrastructure, the full video isn’t reassuring. Whatever the meaning of “that” was, the president on the whole was clearly trying to take business owners down a peg. He was dissing their accomplishments. As my Bloomberg View colleague Josh Barro has written, “You don’t have to make over $250,000 a year to be annoyed when the president mocks people for taking credit for their achievements.”
Frankly, I think this section hits at one part of the heart of the matter. In the Roanoke speech, Obama was at his unscripted, demagoguing, hectoring "best". In front of a friendly crowd, he felt he could say what he really wanted to, and he did. Yeah he can come out later and do scripted ad after scripted ad "clarifying" his remarks. But it wasn't just what he said at Roanoke, it was how he said it. That's what people hear, and that's what people are reacting to.

And why precisely is it necessary to insult people's intelligence when they disagree with your interpretation of what was said at Roanoke, when Obama himself had to come out later and give a scripted "clarification" of his remarks?
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Simple: because what he meant was perfectly clear from the get-go. That Bloomberg article doesn't change things, and in fact tries to redirect the argument down a wholly-unrelated tangent. I mean, when people can dig up a Romney speech from a few years ago in which he says about the exact same thing as Obama, in almost as many words, you don't have a controversy, full stop.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Fine. If you'd like to post a link to the Romney vid so we can compare your point, please be my guest.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I was a bit incorrect there. That statement from Romney wasn't a few years ago...he said it two weeks ago, immediately after repeating the distortion of Obama's quote in the same speech. You can't make this ★■◆● up. :D

[youtube]1cgSXUQDTM0[/youtube]
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:Simple: because what he meant was perfectly clear from the get-go.
only to those that believe like he does.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Top Gun wrote:I was a bit incorrect there. That statement from Romney wasn't a few years ago...he said it two weeks ago, immediately after repeating the distortion of Obama's quote in the same speech. You can't make this ★■◆● up. :D
You're kidding me, right? You really want to look at these two speeches (see here and Reason's mashup here, and tell me they're the same thing? Not buying it. Not even close.

As Sheldon Richman points out in his Reason piece
Was Obama saying the owner of a business did not build his business or did not build the aforementioned “unbelievable American system” and “roads and bridges”? Under the principle of charity, I give him the benefit of the doubt, but you can decide for yourself.

A more interesting question is why Obama bothered to state this truism. Everyone knows that a successful business, along with individual initiative, requires things the owner did not create. Besides roads and bridges, a successful business requires other businesses. Without those, where would any firm get its buildings, materials, and machines? And remembering Say’s Law, without other people’s productive efforts, no business would have customers: People can buy only because they first had something to sell (goods or labor services). Demand is supply and vice versa.

Has Obama really run across many people who think they got “there on [their] own” only because they are smarter and harder working than everyone else? I guess there are a few people like that, but I smell a straw man. (Obama’s mocking tone at this point was certainly off-putting and did not help his cause.)
So Obama tries to build a telling argument out of an utterly mundane point - that we don't live in a vacuum. Yeah, I think we all agree on that. But Romney gets the business owners to stand up and be noted for their work, and Obama gives them a hectoring lecture about why they're not so special.

Oh, and note to Obama. The Golden Gate bridge was not a shining example for him to be using in his context. And the Internet was not invented "so that all the companies could make money off the Internet". It took the initiative of a lot of entrepreneurs to see how the network that became the Internet could be used for other than government purposes.

I think what strikes people so much about Obama's Roanoke remarks is the tone he uses when making his points for emphasis, as much or more than the words he used.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CUDA wrote:
Top Gun wrote:Simple: because what he meant was perfectly clear from the get-go.
only to those that believe like he does.
No, only to those who understand how pronouns and antecedents work. Which, granted, was probably a slim minority of Romney's audience.

Yes, dissent, I fully assert that those two speeches are conveying pretty much the exact same message, as much as Romney seems to have deluded himself into thinking they're not. And I'm not sure what sort of crowd that Reason author hangs out with, but I've come across plenty of people (some on this very board) who buy into the outmoded truism that just some hard work can magically turn anyone into a millionaire. To use a fairly prominent example, it's not exactly a secret that both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs "borrowed" heavily from the work of researchers at Xerox in their original concepts for the personal computer...if the Xerox higher-ups had realized the potential gold mine they were sitting on, both Gates and Jobs would most likely have been out of luck.