An Examination of Kirchhoff's law

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

An Examination of Kirchhoff's law

Post by Duper »

http://youtu.be/3Hstum3U2zw

Here's a vid of how Kirchhoff came to his conclusions. I thought it interesting and knowing that we have science geeks here, I thought I'd share. It's about 30 minutes lone. (34 actually).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: An Examination of Kirchhoff's law

Post by Top Gun »

I didn't watch the whole video, but this individual is making some pretty hefty claims about the validity of the underpinnings of much of modern-day physics, and they honestly don't hold up very well to analysis. Apparently he was a biomedical engineer who randomly started putting out articles on cosmology, without having any real background in that field. The entire "electric universe" concept is a fun bit of pseudoscience that makes some pretty goofy claims; my favorite I've seen here is the idea that the cosmic background radiation is some sort of "reflective glow" produced by Earth's oceans. Man there's so much wrong with that. :lol:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

You should watch the vid. He goes through the "why" pretty thoroughly.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I watched a bit more, and he's showing some pretty startling (possibly willful) ignorance of the basic concepts he's talking about, specifically in terms of an idealized "black body" versus those materials he's producing graphs of. I do want to sit through the whole thing at some point, and if you want I can try to cross-reference some if it in more detail, but suffice it to say there's a lot of snake-oil going on here.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

eh, if you have time. I haven't studied the stuff so about all i can do is watch and go hmm! :)

If it's legit, then some changes are in order, if not, nothing will come of it. I posted it because I know there are a number that get all geeky over physics stuff. :) So if you're inspired, go ahead. I'll read it!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm interested in hearing what you come up with too TG. I don't know black body radiation very well... but his presentation sounds plausible to me.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Top Gun wrote:I didn't watch the whole video
disclaimer: i havn't even clicked the link lol
Top Gun wrote:...some pretty goofy claims; my favorite I've seen here is the idea that the cosmic background radiation is some sort of "reflective glow" produced by Earth's oceans.
Yeah that's a bit of a red flag for prolly-a-bit-crazy to me, you see a lot of that sort of "we're at the center of it all" narcisism in psychic woo cult leaders.
If Zaphod were here he'd have a relevent quote from Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy about being at the center of the universe and if anyone disagrees they should be shot and whatnot.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hiya Roid! How thing? You guys have had some pretty wild weather of late in your neck of the woods.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

normal ★■◆●. i've moved house recently and the road (and even the property, one border is a creek now woooooo) floods over during INTENSE weather, not that i care i'm a hermit GET OFF MY LAWN LAKE.

I'm not used to having land, space. This property is pretty funny: Found a few feet of ENTRAILS on the path the other day, no body. Delightfully mysterious.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

roid have you been sleep-eviscerating again?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

roid wrote:normal ****. i've moved house recently and the road (and even the property, one border is a creek now woooooo) floods over during INTENSE weather, not that i care i'm a hermit GET OFF MY LAWN LAKE.

I'm not used to having land, space. This property is pretty funny: Found a few feet of ENTRAILS on the path the other day, no body. Delightfully mysterious.
lol.. You lead a curious life my friend. Just watch out for lost Moose. ;D Enjoy the space and it's good to see you. ^_^
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Top Gun wrote:roid have you been sleep-eviscerating again?
RIP AND TEAR!