BF 1942

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

BF 1942

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ok, so I went out and spent 100$ on BF1942 Anthology which includes:

BF 1942
BF 1942 Road to Rome
BF 1942 Secret Weapons of WW2

and I bought BF Vietnam.

Now, I've downloaded the patches. What servers do all of you guys play on and if you use RW or TS, what IP you connect to. Also, does it auto download maps n chit?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

You'll definitely want to get DesertCombat, it's a free mod for BF. You'll have to download the maps but there are lots of resources and map packs to keep the map collecting pretty easy.
I play BFV and DC about 50/50, usually DC with our team RATT, and BFV just in pick up games, no particular server.

It's a great game with lots of servers available, well worth the investment. PS: learning to fly the Helo's is a pain at first (think slight input and counter correct before initial movement even takes place) but well worth the learning process.

Here's a couple of links where you can find lots of info and links to maps and mods:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattle ... ertcombat/
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

yeah, DC is where its at. I don't think I have played battlefield game once since DC .3 came out.

BF vietnam is also fun, very taxing on my system though. 2ghz p4.GF4 4600 512ram
XSabre
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by XSabre »

I mostly play Desert Combat (www.desertcombat.com) On either the DCBB server (IP:69.56.207.42) or some other random servers. And yeah, youll have to download maps manually, some of the maps go up in the 60 meg range sometimes. It's really fun once you get the hang of the game and all the vehicles. Im currently trying to get better at the jets and dogfighting.:wink: If you need help or want to learn how some of the stuff works let me know and ill help you out.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yeas, definatly get DesertCombat, it rules. In some ways it is better than Battlefield Vietnam! I usually only play El Alamein (by far the most popular map) and DC Lost Village (intense urban combat)

I usually play BFV though, and most of the time I only play on the map Operation Flaming Dart, because that maps has everything; Helicopters, Jets, Tanks and infantry combat.

Oh yeh and I change my name all the time in battlefield 1942 & V so there's no way to tell it's me. My current name is Dick Cheney...

So yeh have fun!
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Gooberman wrote:yeah, DC is where its at. I don't think I have played battlefield game once since DC .3 came out.

BF vietnam is also fun, very taxing on my system though. 2ghz p4.GF4 4600 512ram
I third that, DC.

I also play Battlefield Vietnam. Actually, I just finished played a round of it :P I manage to run it on a 1.5ghz AMD + gf4200 + 512ram. Skip skip skip ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

BF Vietnam plays fine for me but there are graphical glitches. I'll d/l DC and check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: Where do I d/l the maps. On dc.com you can only d/l the game not the maps.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

DC is for n00b smacktards. Play Forgotten Hope
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Getting FH also.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Heh... got my dad BF1942 for Christmas. Got him Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WWII for Father's Day tomorrow.

He's really into the European theater of 1942... think he'd like DC or is it not worth downloading?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well, it's free, so what do you loose?

DC is compatible with most every BF 1942 map available, so if he doesn't fel like knocking around in the drab sands of Iraq, he can always do some modern warfare in Berlin or Bocage. DC is much faster paced then BF 1942. Everything's more deadly.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

DC changes it to a whole new game. You get to fly helos which were not possible before. I highly reccoment you get him to try that mod out, he will never go back to playing regular BF again. :)
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

DC rocks.
The OH6 (little Helicopters) are the closet thing to Pyros I've found. I play on the Desert of Doom server (CTF only) 69.10.138.220. The server's website (with stats, custom maps etc) is at http://www.unholyplayground.com/ . Great MOD. Even if you do not like CTF, get the custom map "Unholy Air Rage" (http://www.jungleofdoom.com/maps/unholy ... ge_v20.zip) and try out the little helicopters if you haven't done so already. They rock, you have to lead like a gauss so most new players never even hit you hehe....

Also worth noting is Joint Operations and Soldner, 2 games with multi demos out ( JO supports over 100 ppl online in a game)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Top Wop wrote:I highly reccoment you get him to try that mod out, he will never go back to playing regular BF again. :)
Word!
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I play Desert Combat with the DCBB guys but I still play the main BF stuff more with the MS guys. Goto www.midnightsquadron.com. We play in a small league for BF42 and are about to switch over to playing BF:Vietnam in that same league. Check our forums at
http://www.midnightsquadron.com/cgi-bin ... nboard.cgi
if interested in playing with MS. You can come by just to play (not necessarily to join) as well so feel free. We use teamspeak for voice comms in game so have that ready to go.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I tried some DC online yesterday and was getting sniped everytime I spawned. This is one of the biggest beef's I have with FPS games. Guess I have to get used to it.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

You mean spawn killing extends beyond D3?

w00p!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I tried some DC online yesterday and was getting sniped everytime I spawned. This is one of the biggest beef's I have with FPS games. Guess I have to get used to it.
Welcome to the world of multiplayer gaming, I hope you enjoy your stay.
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

Try Galactic Conquest. Big time Star Wars mod for BF1942. This is way cool and lots of fun.

www.wildcards.org
battlefield branch
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It depends a lot on what map you're on. Go anywhere near Omaha Beach and you're going to find aboout 7 snipers per 10 players. Keep trying diffrent maps, as many are less sniper-friendly. Or just find a server where people actually capture the controll points...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sarge wrote:You mean spawn killing extends beyond D3?

w00p!
Yeah, but with Descent, you get decent weaponry and 2 seconds of invulnerability when you start, instead of some crappy pistol and instant snipe-bait :P. That's the biggest gripe I had when I tried multiplayer Halo; with a good sniper in the level, it can be almost impossible to spawn and stay alive.
Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ympakt »

I play BF:1942 and I've got most of the popular mods: DC, FH, EoD, and GC. I haven't played stock 1942 more than once since I installed DC. By far my favorite FPS groundpounder. FH IMHO, is how they should've made BF:1942 in the first place. The sound is more realistic, the character kits, the aircraft, tanks, etc. are all better. It almost feels like you're playing in an old WWII movie. EoD is the Vietnam mod for 1942, played it a few times, but not really into it. GC is great, it could use some improvement. My fav thing to drive is the Imperial Probe Droid (Hoth Map). It's complicated to fly, but for Descenter's, it should be no prob. You can do some damage with that thing. As far as BFV goes, the maps and Gfx are great, but for some reason the game feels and plays different than DC or '42. I don't like it, even after it's been patched to fix the M60 noob gun. The Huey gunships are a real pain in the @$$ tho, take too may hits to down. I undestand they're making a new "Battlefield", called (creatively) Battlefield 2, which is basically BF:1942 DC improved a whole lot. Should be good. I was wondering if anyone was going to make a DC mod with the BFV engine, that'd be good. Oh, and BTW, I play BFV on an AMD 1.8Ghz/.75 Gig RAM/nvid GF FX5700 and have almost no skippage whatsoever. I've found that XP doesn't always install the AGP drivers properly, so check your video settings to make sure that your AGP drivers are installed and functioning properly. I had a lot of skippage before I figured this out. Right click desktop>properties>settings>advanced, then click the tab that has your video card (like Nvidia GeForce) and it'll say on the first line "BUS: 8X" or whatever your AGP is accelerated to. If it doesn't say anything after BUS:, and you have an acclerated AGP card, time to do some fixin'!

O yeah, almost forgot. I usually play in Punkbuster servers, and no-spawncamping servers (unless all flags are capped). Punkbuster isn't perfect, it only blocks/kicks/bans for KNOWN hacks, I've found several players with radar/tag hacks on PB servers, but nowhere near as bad as on non-PB regular servers. Seeing as I'm not a !337 H@xx0r, I won't be creating any hacks that PB doesn't recognize. Try this and see if it'll keep you from being spawn camped/ sniped right off the bat.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Top Gun wrote: Yeah, but with Descent, you get decent weaponry and 2 seconds of invulnerability when you start, instead of some crappy pistol and instant snipe-bait :P. That's the biggest gripe I had when I tried multiplayer Halo; with a good sniper in the level, it can be almost impossible to spawn and stay alive.
You spawn with all of your weaponry in BF 1942 and DC. There's none of that "run over the upgrade gun".
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

And half the time you spawn next to some form of vehicle or artillery as well.

Unlike Descent, however, you can only carry 2 guns and a couple of grenades, and maybe a specialty item. You can't carry 20 weapons + countermeasures at once
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

but you see, there has been a paradime shift in gaming the last oh, 3 or 4 years. More towards realizm like that rather than an arcade style.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

DCrazy, you touched on another gripe I have with the standard FPS. Realism's good if you're playing a game like a flight simulator, but for something that's more shoot-em-up, I prefer a Descent ship's illogically high weapons capacity :P. Duper, that shift may explain why I haven't bought a new game in the past 3 or 4 years :P.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

LOLZ U R TEH MISSLE BOATER!!1 NOOB!! ;)

You should try some of these games though. DC is good fun.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I might, but my computer would lock up if I tried to run any game made in the past 3 years or so :P.

P.S. Missile boating RULEZ!!!11!1 :P