Escape

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Escape

Post by woodchip »

As I was wandering through the internet this morning, a subject came up that piqued my interest. How do you escape from a vehicle if suddenly you are in it and it suddenly becomes submerged ? Since all car windows are electrically operated, they will not work under water (note this applies to both gas and electric cars) Kicking them out may not be the answer. I may be fed a line by the company selling a certain tool so I thought I'd come here and ask.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager

A mouse might be in a cookie jar.... but he is not a cookie" ... Casper Ten Boom

If your life revolves around the ability to have an abortion, what does that say about your life? Anonymous
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Escape

Post by Krom »

There was a mythbusters episode largely about this subject which goes over all the scenarios.

The electrical system in most reasonably maintained vehicles will actually continue to work even if the whole vehicle is submerged, at least for a few minutes. So power windows will actually roll down. Also in said mythbusters episode, if you wait till the cabin is completely flooded it is possible to open the door and escape normally, although with a little more effort (obviously opening the door before the cabin is completely flooded is next to impossible because of the pressure differential).

And lastly, there is indeed a tool you can carry in the vehicle that makes it next to effortless to shatter the glass, and also cut your seatbelt. You can buy them on amazon or lots of other places (auto parts stores, etc). One thing to keep in mind though is laminated glass is becoming more common on side windows, and those tools cannot break laminated glass, know what type of glass your side windows are before purchasing a tool like that.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I believe you can also lower your window and let the car fill and then exit thru window if you are thin enough. But having that glass breaker is best once the car is full.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

So you have two tools, when both owned you can solve any problem, but when you can't use one you can use the other: 9mm or duct tape. So if duct tape can't solve this problem, 9mm probably will.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉