An idea to promote diversity...

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

An idea to promote diversity...

Post by Stryker »

Why don't we shut down all Subway Dancer, Halcyon, and VV servers for, say, a week? D3 will die if newbs can only find 3 levels played, and those being played by such experts at that particular level that they have no chance of flying for a reasonable time without getting blown to shreds. We need to force people to try something new. If we don't, it could be the death of D3. So what do you say? Why don't we host some completely new, unheard-of levels for a week? Once the week (or whatever time period) is over, we can go back to fusion mothing in hally, MD mania in VV, and missile boating in SD.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Wouldn't work, because then they would host the levels themselves.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Still... They can't fit many people in that way, and they can't make themselves show up on the IP trackers easily either.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: An idea to promote diversity...

Post by Bet51987 »

Stryker wrote:Why don't we shut down all Subway Dancer
Grrrrrrr........... :x

Bettina
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

there's ten times the level variety out there that's twenty times better than subway dancer. some go by the names of 'Moria', 'Bill the cat', and 'Skin Like Winter'.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Subway Dancer the level is nice. It's a good tunnel-ratting design. However, Subway Dancer's weapons are as unbalanced and as overpowered as they get, hence why people play it -- pathetically easy kills, especially with the modified Cyclone green acid plasma missile, or whatever the hell it is. In most of the games of SD I played, that's all people used.
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Ferno wrote:there's ten times the level variety out there that's twenty times better than subway dancer. some go by the names of 'Moria', 'Bill the cat', and 'Skin Like Winter'.
Don't forget AnotherBox, HellFire, and for the love of god, an original D3 level for once.

How about a game of TheCore ? :D
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Polaris anyone? Skybox Evolution? Gametype mod such as descentrix or strycken? Or shall we just play another one of the hundreds of VV incarnations?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I miss the original Veins soooo much...
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

newbs don't like being newbs. they wanna get kills. they want the cheap fix. skybox and subway dancer, brain salad etc mean anything to you? nobody here likes them because everyone on the dbb has been around and has some level of skill and doesn't need to rely on those levels to get their quota. you take away the newbs ability to get the easy fix and they move on to something else that is easy. they don't actually work for it.

you make them play with pro's in levels that don't allow people to get cheap kills em masse, and they will stop playing d3 and we will be down to 9 players.

i mean, you all know killgood right? you think he would ever step into a level with anyone of any skill in a level like SLW, BTC, Athena, kata, etc? yeah right. welcome to the human race.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Even though I'm a Subway girl I'm willing to play other games with you guys. I'm just bored with skybox, abend, halcyon, veins, and stadium.
If I go into games like twilight, waltznmatilda, bada bing, and nirvbox, nobodys there.
AND....how come you guys are here and not playing in any games. :?
I'm waiting for you...... :wink:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Well, It was an honor playing "twilight" with some of you boys tonite. Some I never played with before. It was kool.........
Im off to bed now. Thanks again
Subway grl.. :wink:
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I just played Athena today. That level needs to be played more.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Mmm... SLW. :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Holy ★■◆●, Clayman, you JUST NOW found that level?
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hi all

Post by Ned »

My experience:

I was born with a descent joystick in my hand. It least thats what I think it was. Um, well, moving on. . .

Descent is awesome. After only playing D3SP for like one week a year, I finally got curious about MP and found sites like this and .cx through web searches.

I will admit that from the first second I poked a toe into a rooom, a firestorm of lead rained down. It was like people were invincible and loaded with all the weapons all the time. I even wondered if people were cheating. After I persisited, I realized that it has to be approached differently than SP. D3 AI bots rarely turned more than one corner. Humans go everywhere.

Add to the mix that when I mentioned to several people that this was like my 2nd and 3rd game, they became extremely nice, even offering to dodge my bullets defenseless until I could aim. Descentman, whoever that is, was especially nice. It seemed like friends not kill feinds. For that reason, I like chatting a little during the game too. Maybe I got lucky my first times.

I notice that some people are too good for reality. Perhaps they are in a wheelchair and do this 24/7 as their only fun. Who knows who is behind that twisted pair, right?

Now, although I am not stellar, I am extremely dangerous to people when the stars are right, I have good luck, and I'm not tired. Nailing a "really good" player is a joy I never knew existed!

Maybe the cx list could empahisize that NuBs should put {NuB} in their handle or something. That way people might welcome and train them a little. Just my two cents.

Hope that made some sense.
Ned

PS - about the community. What about just encouraging people, ie giving them Discs and offering to show them how to play online? Im trying to get my buddy in OKlahoma into it.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Hey Ned, it seems that your idea has already been taken. In fact, I'm a member of team NuB myself. Go to http://www.teamnub.com for more info. This is a group of extremely nice, helpful people who will be more than happy to give you tips or train you. Hook up with us sometimg by going to http://www.suncho.com/chat and looking in the rookie lobby. There's usually at least 2-3 NuBs there, sometimes as many as 10-12.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

its not that the better players play this game 24/7, its that some of us have been playing descent online since 1994. :P
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Testiculese wrote:Holy ****, Clayman, you JUST NOW found that level?
hehe, no, I've played it since it came out. But it just hasn't gotten much play from the community lately, so it was good to get in some action there again.

And Ned, I would definitely suggest looking for some people to show you how to play. The average game is going to be filled with the "kill fiends" you speak of. Most of them are going to be just looking for a game to play hard or have fun in, so you have to seek out people who will actually help you. AIM me at "D3Alien" and I can probably show you some stuff myself.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've been playing since 1995, MP since 1999. Generally when I play I'm just in it for a fun time, I like blasting everyone and anyone. Sure a lot of players online are to me like a movie you have seen a hundred times over and can quote everything in the entire movie 5 seconds before it happens. But there are also plenty of creative and fast pilots out there to keep things super fast paced and challenging. My advice to any new player is to never lose sight of the game. Don't become miserable in an attempt to become skilled elite.

Many of the best pilots in the game are that good because they were having fun even when they were beaten, and because of that their minds were open to many more possibilities then someone playing purely to become skilled for their ego.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

agree

Post by Ned »

totally agree

Sometime I just fly around, don't care that much if I get killed. NO fear, I never lose sight it's a game, But it's fun to improve at anything. . .
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

how do you feel about racial and sex quotas in servers? if we are really gonna promote diversity we have to attack it at the core.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I demand that I get to play with 3 girls each day.

Oops, did I just say that?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Back on topic, I've created a weird little level for some interesting fun. Should be available at koolbear's site, PD, gameedit, and http://www.stryker2.com/4dctf.zip . Try it out--and remember to play with markers. Put one down, fly around the turn at the end of the base, and look for your maker. DOH! Where'd it go? :? ;)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Try it out--and remember to play with markers. Put one down, fly around the turn at the end of the base, and look for your maker. DOH! Where'd it go? :? ;)
Starkiller and I did 4D a long time ago. :P
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yes, your 4D level was actually my inspiration for this... but this has 4-team CTF and hoard compatibility. ;)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ummmm.....Clayman, I'm here....find two more now.
Bettina

P.S. Hey "THECOPS"...what did you mean about sexual quotas?
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

Are you sure you want to ask that?
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Bettina really is young and innocent, hehe
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

We are such a bunch of pervs.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

bet51987 wrote: P.S. Hey "THECOPS"...what did you mean about sexual quotas?
Betty, he was refering to the ratio of male to female players. :D
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Betty, he was refering to the ratio of male to female players. :D
oh......Then I can holster my guns.... :wink:
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Fezzik wrote:Are you sure you want to ask that?
muahaahhahaha!
:shock:

it was actually snide political commentary and an attempt to high jack the thread rolled into one.

BTW: you can't make people do what they don't want to do. just build levels if you like to and hope for the best... 'cause it ain't gonna be better than Serial Murder Lullaby.
[TA]One
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [TA]One »

To get back on topic, I think the idea I posted about here phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2528&sid=edaa52b0 ... 30a7e91693 has merit.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

All servers should host nothing but #300 baud, SLW and Faded Rose. ;) (I don't know if anyone else enjoys keg party, but it doesn't seem too unbalanced to me)

Bet- The Cop's comment basically poked fun at affirmative action- how schools and companies will say they have to have a certain number of Black people, a certain number of Asian people, a certain number of girls, etc... basically trying to keep it so there arn't all white males working for some place.