So I was looking for something to do last Sunday

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

So I was looking for something to do last Sunday

Post by STRESSTEST »

It’s a warm day, nothing to do. Cool breeze washing in from the Sound. Boredom… What to do. Idea! Get new wallpaper for my dual monitor rigs here. I reach for the camera, extra memory cards, fresh batteries as I lock the house up.. heading for the door. Fire up the car as I hit the remote for the door…

I hop on the freeway and look down.. ¼ tank… that will never do. Jump off the freeway for a local station. Start to pump the fuel and look down admiring the swanky new z-rated tires thinking, Yea, this is gonna be fun.

Hop back on the freeway for some twenty minutes, ahh the off ramp I’ve been searching for. I get through the simple town and onto the back road, North Cascade’s HWY, a very old stretch of road some thirty minutes later I hit Darrington, WA. The HWY splits… damn it’s been a long time, which way to go? I take the left going on a gut feeling. Civilization is gone as is the radio and cell coverage. Sun blazing, no clouds.. windows all the way down. Smiling I reach for he new Kenwood and hit the button to take me to Sirius Satellite Radio…channel 20, Octane… music fills the car.. Smell the fresh air.. Admire all the green trees, ferns, river off to the right. It’s a perfect day.

Finally, the good curved road is coming, excitement ensues. Some unnamed band playing in the background I reach for the volume control. The song ends, and old school Pantera “Walk” comes on. I reach for the volume control.. can’t hear the wind rushing in anymore.. next turn comes, I’m in heaven! The subs banging at my very skeletal structure, mids belting out the vocals and guitars, highs begging me for more. Another smile… crystal clarity is pleasing me at this moment. Next curve comes… grabbing for third, smash the accelerator.. rubbery feeling in the ass end as the tires are getting ready to break loose. Woohoo, not a car in sight, life is good.

Thirty minutes go by during this gut-wrenching, ear-bleeding mountain back roads thrill ride. I see cars ahead thought the canyon.. pull up on the pedal… a stoppage, nOOOoo! The night prior had a mountain slide of granite come crashing down on the roadway. Heavy equipment everywhere.. one lane road for both directions…. flaggers….. brake light. I stop. I notice a bead of sweat on my forehead and an persistent tap of the toe on the floor. Man.. my body wants more.

Fifteen minutes go by, RVs, cars, and Harley’s coming. Our turn is almost here… 20 minutes, flag turns to “slow” as I think, “yea, right!” Were on the way. Crap, there is a stack of cars in front of me. No worries, I’ll pass them as I can. Last cones in sight… mash the pedal and I’m off in a riot of engine noise and squeal of tires. Passing one by one. I’m in the clear. More bends in the road, rushing air blowing across my face and neck. Snow on the mountain peaks, man it’s a good feeling I’m having.

Twenty more minutes go by, there’s the turnout. I made the target, Diablo, WA. I pull into the parking lot at the overlook saddened by the thought of the drive ending. I get out of the car noticing my ass is numb from the drive, I stretch my legs and reach for the camera thinking to myself, “That was the best tank of fuel I ever bought”. I walk away from the car smiling and thinking, Mmm the downhill trip will be even more fun.

So here are the pictures resized, but if you want any drop me a PM (since our wonderful BB has it now) and ask for the pic by file name and I’ll email it to you. The are roughly 2.3 megs each and have a resolution of 2288x1520.

This is Diablo, WA. A place pretty much built by the Seattle Public Works back in a simpler time and during the depression. The Dam itself went under construction starting in Sept of 1927, and was completed on Aug 27, 1930. The water is a milky blue-green color and is due to glacial runoff. The water is pure and tasty. Hope you enjoy the pictures, I know I enjoyed going to get them :)

http://stresstest.2y.net/images/diablo/diablowa.html
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Wow. Mind boggling beauty.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Nice stuff Stress and good writing. Someday get a bike and drive like that on two wheels, grinding the foot pegs every now and then. Your story reminds me of a time coming down out of Big Bear CA in a Mach 1 mustang racing a GTO. Breaking loose all four wide ovals was a real rush. Thanks for the memories.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

bike? been there done that :) GSXR in my case, and your welcome
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

It needs a Starbucks.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

dude, i lurb you. seriously, if i was gay, you'd be my ★■◆● with shiz like this :P where's gav when u need him?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Awesome pics.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

whuppinboy wrote:dude, i lurb you. seriously, if i was gay, you'd be my ***** with shiz like this :P where's gav when u need him?
0_0
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Some great scenery Stress.

a good bit better than the stuff I saw driving around the Olympic Penninsual last weekend. Say some cool stuff and about hit 2 deer. 0_o Too many crazy people out driving though.
That Dam looks like it could use a little TLC. How far north is that? Is that all the way north near Steven's pass?
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Simply beautiful................(The piccies) ;)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Very nice!
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

you ever been to crater lake stress? it has a much darker blue hue but strange glow like that place.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

NOpe
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Wow - very nice - thanks for sharing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yup, I've been up there. Went to Winthrop years ago. There's a hill up there called breast mountain. ;) Looks like on too.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

I'm pathetic. :( All that natural beauty and all I wanna know is what kind of car you drive. :P
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

lol
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Makes me homesick for the Pacific Mountains, Lake Tahoe & Yosemite.

Awesome shots. Beautiful, nostalgic AND inspiring to me!

I need to get my Digital out and take some SOuth Florida-style Wallpaper Shots. Port Everglades, Pier 66 Marina, The Keys etc.

I just wish I could take my Digital Underwater...