Descent 3 oscars!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Descent 3 oscars!

Post by kurupt »

So, me and Ingus were talking in chat tonight, and he tied me up and made me post this. So here goes.

All of these are my opinion, or contributed to by ingus, johnny, jazzyjet, jedi, whitewater, and anyone else who chimed in i didn't remember. please feel free to chime in too.

Best "Hacker": Crown, Monkey, Zero, Bah, Krom (insert current or former D3k here)

Best Hacker: The_Man

Biggest whiner: [SQN]Candyass, Fatal, Killgood

Best moth: Barry, Adio, Buddha, Kracon

most skippy: Jesus_Freak, Shadowfox, Zero, warpig, nofx

Worst player who thinks he's god: Buddha, Kracon, Hostile, Baron, Killgood, BIGRYE aka the BIGCRY, Sandmann

Best player who thinks he sucks: JazzyJet, Barry, Whitewater, Johnny

Best flag runner: Gooberman <3, Darak

Worst flag runner: AceCombat, nofx

Best level designer: Hostile, Otherone, Skyalmian, Vander, Nirvana, spaz, Solrazor

Worst level designer: DwnUnder, Skull (Brain salad anyone?) Atan (Subway Dancer?!)

Best level: kata 1.2, Athena, SLW, bi3, Halcyon, pyrog

Worst level: Brain Salad, Canyon Seige, Get Mad, subway dancer, wa2

Best player 1v1: birdseye, ingus, jazzyjet, kurupt, mpnkee, suncho, barry, diablo, nirvana, vander, DT, fakeman, monkey, palzon, genghis

Best team player: darak, genghis, readyman, jazzy, vander, ingus, birdseye, nirvana, gooberman, krom, bah, rock, bfdd, tomcatt, suncho, copsy, mousepad, scratch, mpnkee

best up and comer: Rook, Johnny

best female: sfuzzi, drummergirl, divinity, trinity, tweety, myzeri

Best MD: suncho, kurupt, birdseye, DaZed, Hemp, Seargent Thorne, neutrino, supersheep, palzon

Best vauss: ingus, fatal, supersheep, testiculese,

best fusion: nirvana, mpnkee, crown, krom, skylmian, bah, kurupt, jazzyjet, birdseye, barry, hemp, rock, vander

best dogfighter: fatal, nitrate, nirvana, birdseye, vander, barry, jazzy, kurupt, suncho, rott

best tunnel rat: vlider, warlord, jediluke

most overrated: shadowfox, hostile

most underrated: bubbalou, suncho, phoenix red

feel free to agree or disagree, or add your own.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

heh good stuff.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I have the following suggestions:

add to best team player: bash
add to most skippy: seargant thorne
add to best level: bill the cat (remember the Asylum!)
add to best 1v1 player: vlider

remove from best female: everyone but sfuzzi and trinity (c'mon guys, you can't just name all the D3 girls ever, and don't bring up tankie)
remove from best team player: birds, nirv (there's more to it than being the best killing machines)
remove from best "hacker": zero, bah, krom
remove from best player who thinks he sucks: barry (he knows he's good)

new category: worst sportsman (gloat on winning, whine on losing): you make the call b/c I may be prejudiced

There's a few ROX's I'd add to the positive categories (including myself!), and a few ROX's I'd remove from the negative categories, but I'm sure that would be perceived as biased.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i already had vlider in best 1v1 (ingus), we've had some good 1v1's in our day.

it is really hard to not be biased when it comes to your own team, which is why i went 95% off of the people in chat's suggestions. theres alot of people who should or shouldnt be on those lists, as its just my opinion and the opinions of those listed. i've only been playing d3 more than twice a year for about 2 years. alot of my opinions on certain people are different because i played them on kali before they got good, or after they got washed up when d3 had already peaked, or what have you. some of the people on there wouldnt have made the list if it were online only, but i or others have seen them perform on lan and were amazed.

i can hang with birdseye in d3 now, but could i on lan a few years ago? i highly doubt it. does the fact i can give him a run for my money now make me one of the best ever? hell no. these kinds of things are hard to judge with 10 years of history in a game. so many pilots change over the years, and alot of it varies game by game. another example, i played jazzy the other night. we played 3 games, i beat him convincingly in one, once in a close one, and in the 3rd game he beat me. i was better than him twice, he bested me once. does that make me better than him? nope, not at all.

edit: i added you and pally to the 1v1 list, i cant beleive i forgot some of the ones we've had!

also i have the feeling you were talking about hostile being the worst who thinks he's the best and the overrated. those were both my opinions, based on kali years ago when i was an IDL UT pilot and he was on par with the cases players. thats pretty much all of the experience with him i've got, and it wasn't really fair because i had a bit more online experience than him. it may be egotistical, but in the kali days he wasn't on my level. to be fair though, i didn't see him much during d3's glory days, so for all i know he was the best d3 player ever. i can only call what i see, and alot of it was based on the D3k boycott. sorry if that made me a tad biased ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Best level: Damage
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

And so it fades. D3 will from now on only mean Doom 3.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Genghis, clearly you have amnesia over the early days of 300baud entropy. Not that I think I should be on a best team list considering I didn't do much teaming past the entropy days, but just didn't want my lil ego to be discounted in teams.

Hilarious though that this post mentions every single d3 girl i can remember minus that 13 year old girl
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

What, no "Mediocre player who thinks he's eh... ok" category? I never win anything.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Hey, i nominate you for some killer MD aim.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I came up with some superlatives myself. Tell me if you like them.

Best PC operating system: Windows
Best PC processor company: Intel
Best video card company: nVidia
Best political ideology: conservative
Best soft drink: Mountain Dew
Best media player: WMP
Best console gaming system: none
Best Descent: Descent 2
Best country: USA (especially not Canasians, Aussies, or Kiwis, nor anything in Europe, including the UK, Germany, Belgium)

Also just ask if you want to know the best religion, best state in the union, best ice cream flavor, or my favorite color.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Looks like "Best of US/Can" only to me. Then again because of distances its hard to play fair either side.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Best Religion: Wicca
Best State in the Union: Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
Biggest State in the Union: Alaska
Biggest Ego in the Union: Texas
Smallest State in the Union: Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
Biggest Little State in the Union: Delaware
Best Ice Cream Flavor: Frozen Pudding.
Favorite Color: Blue
Best Musical Group *EVER*: The Beatles
Best President (Dead): John F. Kennedy
Best President (Living): Jimmy Carter
Best Political Ideology: Liberal
Best Soda: Pepsi
Best Waste of Time on a Monday Evening: Monster Garage (Discovery Channel)
Best Automobile of the 20th Century: Volkswagen Type 1 (aka Beetle/Bug)
Best (1st?) Mini-Van of the 20th Century: Volkswagen Type 2 (aka Bus/MicroBus/Transporter)
Worst Drivers in the Union: Boston
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Birdseye wrote:Genghis, clearly you have amnesia over the early days of 300baud entropy. Not that I think I should be on a best team list considering I didn't do much teaming past the entropy days, but just didn't want my lil ego to be discounted in teams.
Heh, I remember around Christmas 1999 you were Santa's Vibrator in a game and I asked you who you were and you said "my name begins with a B and and ends with an E" and I said "Bigrye??"
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Best Female Pilot (New): Bettina
Best Level (D1, D2): Minerva
Most Popular Level (D3): Subway Dancer V1.1
Most Annoying Audio Taunt: Famous
Longest Macro Taunts: {OSS}Paedric :P
Most Annoying Pilot: killgood (nothing worse than a bad winner)

Worst idea for a thread in any forum: Descent 3 oscars!!!
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Birdseye wrote:Hilarious though that this post mentions every single d3 girl i can remember minus that 13 year old girl
Doesn't mention HS Girl, Lisa USA (aka Lisa Chicago), or Bettina. Hmm.. There was another one but I can't remember her name. She liked to spout poetry while either killing you or dying. Betty, help me out here. She was in Dancer alot.
rijruna
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 oscars

Post by rijruna »

Birds, u have forgotten "Sweet-cheeks" who was the daughter of another d3 player who`s name escapes me. She left d3 after about yr 2 of the full game.
& then there is [RIP}Bess, & a couple of other newer female players are around as well.
We probly at the present time have 5-8 now. So their touch to the game is constant & evolving & they can play with venom sometimes too.
cheers
rij
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

She was in Dancer alot.
Paedric......I Think you mean POH. I miss her 2.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of these people mentioned in this thread, or even played them. Are they LAN people?
Bettina
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

<---- Best Self-Absorbed Bull$hit Artist
hybrid of shadowfox&b
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent 3 oscars!

Post by hybrid of shadowfox&b »

kurupt wrote:

feel free to agree or disagree, or add your own.
u forgot to add javed to most skippy :P
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

bet51987 wrote:
I wrote:She was in Dancer alot.
Paedric......I Think you mean POH. I miss her 2.
Aye, thats the one. Thanks Betty. :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Dazed as best MD? Hehe, My 20-5 in Kata says otherwise. :) I'd be biased, but I want on the 1v1 list. :)

"add to most skippy: seargant thorne"
I wouldn't say most skippy, but he is the most lossy player I've seen. His ship seems smooth, but he doesn't register shots from inches away.

Best level: Bill The Cat/Anotherbox/Moria

I vote Fezz as one of the fastest pilots, and is most underappreciated. He makes me play hard. That always makes it a good game.

Bettina, the people mentioned in that list don't play Subway Dancer, or Abend. They also usually play under alias. Some no longer play. You haven't really played this game to it's potential until you've played some of the people on this list.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

heheh, best "hacker" :D

Remember that Hacki Masters can feel TEH FILEZ flowing through them.

I would like to add Genghis to best Fusion.
hybrid of shadowfox&b
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Testiculese wrote:Dazed as best MD? Hehe, My 20-5 in Kata says otherwise. :) I'd be biased, but I want on the 1v1 list. :)

"add to most skippy: seargant thorne"
I wouldn't say most skippy, but he is the most lossy player I've seen. His ship seems smooth, but he doesn't register shots from inches away.

Best level: Bill The Cat/Anotherbox/Moria

I vote Fezz as one of the fastest pilots, and is most underappreciated. He makes me play hard. That always makes it a good game.

Bettina, the people mentioned in that list don't play Subway Dancer, or Abend. They also usually play under alias. Some no longer play. You haven't really played this game to it's potential until you've played some of the people on this list.

Testi's always right ;) plus i still want my 1v1 :P
hybrid of shadowfox&b
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

lol same time as krom :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

You haven't really played this game to it's potential until you've played some of the people on this list.
I've been playing for almost 2 years, between 8 and 11 (EDT now), and never see them. I play what is available at those times which is usually SD, Abend, Stadium, and Earthshaker. All the other games are empty. When school is out and my chores are done, I sometimes will play in the afternoon.

Your right about names. I know people want to protect their rank, so fire on newbies with their God name, and then change to another when the going gets tough. That way they protect their status.

I only play with one name. Mine. I went from Cadet to Lieutenant, back to Ensign, then Lieutenant again before PXO went away. It's hard to know who I'm playing.

P.S. Famous's endless taunt drives me up a wall, but he's nice to me and that's all that counts.

Luv you guys
Bettina
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

None of those pilots in that list have ever cared about rank. (Except fools like Killgood) Most of them used aliases because they liked the name, or were tired of being called hacks by a bunch of unskilled pilots. Also, fun and games were abound using aliases. In team games, there were a group of pilots that would go in as Starsky and Hutch, or Tom and Jerry, Voltron character names, what have you, and play as a team (even in anarchy). There have been some hysterical names (Tho' the funniest were Rated R :))

I used to use aliases to terrorize known pilots (Who was that masked man?!) I also used to switch aliases depending on my mood or mindset. I also have aliases for particular ships (tho', with mine, it's obvious who I am still). Now, however, I have a randomizer that sets my pilot for me (out of 7 available), so I never know who I am until I spawn in the game. :)

You've been playing for 2 years? Have you ever played anything but SD or Abend? I play every level but those, and I've never seen you.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

best "hacker":crown
best whiner:candyass
most skipy:me
Best level designer:vander
best level:bi3/pyrog
Worst level:subway dancer sry bett :P
Best player 1v1:birdseye
Best MD:DaZed
Best vauss:testi
best fusion:krom
best person to play against:jazzyjet

=)
hybrid of shadowfox&b
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

hey testi
when we gonna have a 1v1 like u said? im still waiting :P waiting waiting waiting!!!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

You've been playing for 2 years? Have you ever played anything but SD or Abend? I play every level but those, and I've never seen you.
That's what I explained. When I'm on, the same 4 or 5 games are being played every night and they are SD, abend, Stadium, and the others I mentioned. Sometimes, games are private or only 2 player too.

Anyway, with all the alias's I never know who I'm playing for real.

Bettina. (for real)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

bet51987 wrote:Your right about names. I know people want to protect their rank, so fire on newbies with their God name, and then change to another when the going gets tough. That way they protect their status.
sorry, but thats not even close to being correct.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

rank never did anything for anybody in descent3.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Best Hacker: Hell, I can never remember their names.

Biggest whiner: Killgood (Ingus stomped you're ass, you ★■◆●.:P)

Best moth: My brother Tomcatt, lol j/k

Worst player who thinks he's god: Killgood and BIGRYE

Best player who thinks he sucks: Barry

Best flag runner: Gooberman, Darak, nofx <-- yeah i said it! :P

Worst flag runner: noobs in open ctf games.

Best level designer: Hostile, Otherone, Skyalmian, Vander, Nirvana, spaz, Solrazor. I choose same as Kuru. They're all great.

Worst level designer: DwnUnder, Skull (Brain salad anyone?) Atan (Subway Dancer?!) ditto!

Best level: kata 1.2, Athena, SLW, bi3, Halcyon, pyrog, VAMPED MUTHASUCKA!, Bill the cat! Damage! and other stuff i can't remember.

Worst level: Brain Salad, Canyon Seige, Get Mad, subway dancer, wa2...yeah...yeah pretty much. (ducks gunshots from the fans of these levels.)

Best player 1v1: birdseye, jazzyjet, suncho, barry, nirvana, vander, DT, fakeman, palzon, genghis, neutrino, scratch, sfuzzi, and fatal. There are more I just cant think....(these are from my run ins with these players so don't twist you're panties if you're not here)

Now if you're talking about consistently ELITE 1on1
My picks are: Birdseye, Suncho, Barry, Genghis.

Best team player: darak, genghis, readyman, jazzy, vander, ingus, birdseye, nirvana, gooberman, krom, bah, rock, bfdd, tomcatt, suncho, copsy, mousepad, scratch, mpnkee, TheCops aka Meatpuppet muthasuckas!

best female: sfuzzi

Best MD: Birdseye, Darak, Hemp, Suncho, Genghis, Neutrino.

Best vauss: Testi, Fatal, Sfuzzi, Tomcatt

best fusion: Anyone can hit anybody with a magnum tri-fusion. So I'm going by who can AIM heh.

Birds, Nirv, Vander, Hemp, Suncho.

NEW CATEGORY BEST D3 PLASMA - I Think I'll squat my @ss here since nobody else knew what to do with the gun :P

best dogfighter: fatal, Scratch, nirvana, birdseye, vander, barry, jazzy, sfuzzi, Tomcatt, Genghis.

best tunnel rat: vlider( I always thought i was more of a dogfighter :( anyway there are not many tunnelrats in d3 that i can think of. As for Warlord, i think he deserves a category of his own called BORING heh.

most overrated: Diablo

most underrated: suncho, jazzy jet, hemp, testi, palzon, neutrino.

heres a new one, BEST NATURAL FLYER. I'm talking about mofos that just fly like it's 3rd nature.
Hemp heheh!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

hmmmmmm, last time I looked at the game list there was only one subway dancer server running. There were plenty of other levels running, but they were all empty, the subway dancer was not. People are running other levels, but all it takes is one hoser running a subway dancer and all the newbies just get sucked into it. If the subway dancer server was shut down, then one of the newbies would just start up one of their own. We have the servers hosting the levels, the problem is getting the players to play in something other then comfortible crappy levels.

Lately I have not had that much trouble getting games in damage, people seem to play that level, even if most of them quit after 2-3 deaths because they can't instakill the enemy with weapons that take talent to use. Oh well, I'll take a decent game in damage almost any day. I'll play almost any OtherOne level, and any of Hostile's ports if they are active and I am looking for a game. But if abend and subway are the only levels with players, I go and play some other game or I quit and go outside.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

can someone post Diablo's kung fu pick with him surrounded by the Agent Smiths?
[AuDiO]
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [AuDiO] »

Best moth: Barry, Adio, Buddha, Kracon

you mean hawk-adio, right? i don't want to be a moth :'(

[my] favorite person to play with: zero
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

How about:
Player most likely to be the last to leave PXO: Suncho- The last player standing.

Always in chat: Testi, Stress

Filthiest mouth: Sandman, Redbone ,Rye

The forgotten Elite: Xecutive , l0m

Most fun : Jazzy, Vander, Genghis ,K ,Testi

The one who almost always got away: Birds

Village idiot: Sandman, Rye , Redbone

Most helpful: Suncho, Testi, Stress

Player(chatter?) you love to hate: Stress. ;)

Most creative insults: Nirvana, Sick_one
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

most of them quit after 2-3 deaths because they can't instakill the enemy with weapons that take talent
Krom.....I am one of those untalented players you speak of. I don't have the best computer, or even a joystick. I play with a keyboard and a mouse. I have a fair video card and have lots of stuff in D3 turned off, but that's not the problem. It's me.

I'm not even close to the skill level you and other players are or ever will be. Some have skill, some don't (like me).
So, I become an easy kill in some games no matter how hard I try, and I do try. I never cheated or used hacks even when offered the way to do it. I just can't.

So, SD, and some of the other games give me a chance to compete because of the weapons and places to duck into if I have to. I can take on superior players there and hold my own for awhile. I have fast reflexes but my skill level in shooting is where I fail no matter how much I practice.

So, please consider us "noobs" when talking about levels that we like.

Your a good guy, so don't bash me too hard.

Bettina :wink:
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

pfft Zero I am way skippier than u. I just never fly feenix anymore. But I don't cause if I do, it's no fun for other peeps in the game.

But aside from my title, these lists are crappy. Look at the STATS to see who is best. Just now I 1v1ed Alien from III. Earlier he wasn't a challenge. At a time, he was beating me 6-5 in a 1v1 BI3. He's gotten really good(and he has also recently beaten Jazzy Jet, Monkey, Fatality, Fezzik). Is he mentioned on any of these lists? No. Would you know who he is in a game? No, because he flies under alias, and only a member from III would know. And since when was Shadowfox skippy??? I would even be so bold to call him most UNDERrated, being that he was only on one of those lists, and he has beaten almost everyone on that 1v1 and team list.

Bottom line: D3 oscars are a joke. Come to chilan and see who's topz and who's not.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Jesus Freak wrote:Bottom line: D3 oscars are a joke. Come to chilan and see who's topz and who's not.
.... and i will be vomiting in the corner.
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Whitewater »

I will be holding back his hair