DVD drawer won't open , light works

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

DVD drawer won't open , light works

Post by Ned »

Hi'

Trying to put the system together

Bought an NEC OEM ND-2510A DVDRW

It is powered correctly, but when I try to hit the eject button, nothing! Just a few soft noises and drawer never opens no matter what I do. Is it defective? I also tried master and slave, no diff

Bummin,
Nedro
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

stop fiddling with it.

take it back and exchange it.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

right

Post by Ned »

you are probably right

Uggggg, mail order
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

There should be an emergency opening feature -- try to open it and see if the mechanics lock into place. Oh, and remove the transport security device ;)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

mr paperclip is your friend!
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Has it EVER opened normally? Try holding the button for one or two complete seconds. There's a few Asus drives out there that require you to hold the button before it'll open. I HATE those drives. :P
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

dvd

Post by Ned »

OK, update.

I am sending it back

Paperclip in the hole does nothing.

If you press the eject briefly OR hold it for like 5 seconds the same thing happens: a little green light comes on, a little wooshing noisees is heard, the light goes off, and nothing happens. The drive has no obvious transport screw, and the Motherboard sees it just fine.

Do you all agree with me that it is toast? I am under the impression that all powered drives should respond to the eject button. ON the ribbon cable, or off the ribbon cable, same result.

I am a little unimpressed with NewEgg.com My case arrive bent in two places and this drive didn't work.

Good news is I have it all together and running. Thank gooodness I had ordered an ASUS CDRW as well.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

The only other test I can think of is right clicking on the drive under "My Computer" and selecting "Eject". But that's a pain. Just send it back. :)
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

quick update.

They sent the new one and it works fine. I like NewEggs website and speed but hmmmmmmmmm. . . .

a dead on arrival DVD burner and a bent ATX case, not a very good first experience.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Newegg don't make this stuff man. They just sell it. Items are NOT tested before sale. Shipping companies damage stuff. Not Newegg's fault.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

tested

Post by Ned »

Disagree

The case was inadequately packed up for shipment and the drive may well have been someone else's defective return, confused in their pile of other returns and then sent on to me. And a LOT of equipment IS tested at the factory. Im not sure what your angle is, but respectfully tell you that 2 things broken out of 12 is not good odds.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

One (probably stupid) question: Does the drive's opening mechanism include a rubber band of some kind? A CD drive on a computer at my old high school had a broken band/belt in the drive, and it exhibited the same symptoms as you posted above. If the paper clip depended on this band, it probably wouldn't have any effect, either. At least it's something to look at.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

yah, opening the chassis of the drive will void any warranties on a new drive, and now he is stuck with a dead drive.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Top, Ace, silly skimers.

he's already returned it, and got a new one.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

All is well that ends well. Thread closed before Ace clogs it with crap.