linux Descent3 patch problem.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

linux Descent3 patch problem.

Post by Xamindar »

I'm trying to patch descent3 on my fresh gentoo system but the patches give me this error:

Code: Select all

root@lain patches # ./descent3-1.4.0b-x86.run
Verifying archive integrity...tail: cannot open `+6' for reading: No such file or directory
Error in check sums 1084468402 1397647452
Both the 1.4a and 1.4b patch give this error. I there something I don't have installed that the patch script uses? I checked and I do have "tail".
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

This is a symptom of the new version of tail (+n has been deprecated for a while now, i think), there's an environment variable that you can set, lemme see what it is:

export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209

That gets you the old POSIX standard.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Thanks for the help but setting this variable didn't change a thing.

Man, why do they have to change things like this?

hmm, any other ideas?

What did "+6" do before it was removed? Is it safe to remove that part from the tail command in the script? Or possibly replace it with the new, equivalent option?

(of course, taking the "+6" out makes the MD5 checksum fail.) :roll:
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Well, I just found out that portage has a package for descent3. Just "emerge descent3" and it prompted for my cds and so on. This install is already the 1.4b patched version so that worked out great! Only thing that annoys me is that it was installed under the /opt directory. I don't know enouph about portage yet to know if or how I can specify an install directory.
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Oops, forgot to tell you about the package.

Well, +6 just specified the number of lines that tail went back; it was replaced by -n +6 (or -n 6 i think.)

Exporting some variable like that is what did it for me.

I ended up emerging it anyways, so no problem.

Installing it in /opt shouldn't be that much of a problem, though it can be annoying.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

You know, I might have typed that export in wrong. I think I forgot the "_" at the beginning.
I still need to install mercenary so maybe it will work now (using the mercenery installer/patch).

I was also told of a way to install it under /usr/local/games instead of /opt. Just put the following in /etc/make.conf
GAMES_PREFIX_OPT="/usr/local/games"
BUT, it didn't work for D3, did for quake3 though. Maybe I should file a bug report on that.