Pheonix- magum

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Pheonix- magum

Post by Spaceboy »

Im a pheonix pilot. i rely completly on speed and things like that.
i switched to magnum for about an hour in Vericouse Veins, and i did about twice as good as i did in pheonix, except for flag scoring which i only got 2 flags...
lol i did better in my worst ship... which prolly makes it my best ship or something... but not my favorite ship at least...anyone else tried that?
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Yeah it wears off after awhile though. Kinda odd like that. Wrong forum btw.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Moved to D3 Multiplayer?

when i did play, i played phoenix or simply pyro
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

When I fly I do it in the Pyro. I mean, it's standerd, no bs, simple yet grand. I suck tho so I can't tok.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yeah, I'll switch randomly between pyro and mag. Like Jon said, it'll wear off after a bit. Either way, I don't like phenii much- it's too much of a lag shield ship.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i fly all 4 ships. i gotta get back into D3
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

depends on the map, but mostly the tank is always the dominant ship.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

kurupt wrote:depends on the map, but mostly the tank is always the dominant ship.
Yep. Because when it's all said and done, skill can not only handle the better fire power more effectively, but skill can also make up for the speed difference fairly well.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Magnum is teh shiznit!

In the hands of an experienced pilot it is faster than a Lamenix to. Magnum takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

However, to get a Magnum going fast you can't allow the AB to get back to 100% when pulsing it, coz the Tank shakes like an SOB if you let it bounce to 100%, making targetting awkward. For supremo skills in a Tank, keep it between 95% and 99% for very fast trichording without all the horrible shaking.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Mobius wrote:Magnum is teh shiznit!
True!~
Mobius wrote:In the hands of an experienced pilot it is faster than a Lamenix to
In your dreams no0ob
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

he means a subway dancer player using a phoenix, not a real descenter using a phoenix ;)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Bubba, just change your post to:

"In the hands of a Noob, Like me!",

and it'll be correct. Thanks for the vote Kurupt. No one's disputing the Cheatnix is *actually* faster than a Magnum. But I have seen some tank drivers chase down and kill Lamenix pilots.

P.S. That's NOT me!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Mobius wrote:"In the hands of a Noob, Like me!"
About time you admidt to being a n0ob...that's why you jerk your stick so much!
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

A newb killing a skilled pilot in a tank in a level without lame instakill 2ndaries is like breaking into Fort Knox.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

lol? happens sometimes tho... like if the skilled pilot has 1 shild and a newb just discovered flares...
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

They'd really need to have 0 shield for that to happen.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I'm wearing my Tank more often now too ! Switching back to a Pyro is a pleasant change after getting rolled around in a BI3 Tank fest ... I Gotta get that AB pulsing and trichording down right; there's nothing more scary than a tank in the hands of a skilled trichording pilot !

Hey speaking of awesome Tank Pilots... What ever happened to Fiend !? (aka LeafFiend etc...)
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

you can quadchord sometimes... people with joystick do it alot without noticing, but for kb pilots its a bit harder...example- pitchdown, pitchright, slide down, spin right = quadchord
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

That's what's known as the "Grendel Spin" by NuB pilots. It results in the ability to turn a tank 180 degrees in < .5 seconds.

BTW, has anyone noticed that BP flares do a LOT more damage than normal flares? I've seen one do 3 damage when a BP flared me while I was typing... Those things are legitimate weapons!
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

lol... a little while ago i figured out how to make a mod work for everyone, when they dont have it.
I started a server, and in my table file i had flares that did 1 damage but caught people on fire... so it ent up doing about 4 damage total.. it was fun... lol
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Spaceboy wrote:you can quadchord sometimes... people with joystick do it alot without noticing, but for kb pilots its a bit harder...example- pitchdown, pitchright, slide down, spin right = quadchord
Not quite. Tri-chording comes from moving your ship along 3 axises, forward/backward, right/left, and up/down. Changing the pitch of your ship changes which direction you're facing, hence why you need to angle your ship away in order to move straight forward, but it doesn't affect your speed. The only way to move faster than tri-chording is tri-bursting, which adds the afterburner to the equation. There is no such thing as quad-chording.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

there is and there isnt. you can move on four axis' but you'd be constantly rotating. it doesnt speed you up at all when you add bank to it, but it makes turning a bit quicker if you're good at it. you have to switch up the bank constantly to stay semi-level, and for alot of people its too complicated for such a minimal benefit. i've been tossing in bank with my trichording since i learned to trichord, from a guy named rott on kali. it was wierd at first, but ive been doing it so long that i dont even think about it anymore when i do.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

What's the 4th axis Matt?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

The fourth axis is what appears after too much glue sniffing.

Since there are 6 DOF in Descent, what would HexChording look like?

Comments?
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Unless you move to some galaxy, far far away, you can't break the physical laws regarding opposable movements. I.E. it isn't possible for something to move backwards and forwards, left and right, or up and down at the same time without employing some form of equivocation or stretching the object. Hence, only 3 axises to move on, unless someone who is studying physics can enlighten us otherwise.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Rotational axes. You can rotate about the X, Y and Z axes. I can move 1 m/s in the X direction, 1 m/s in the Y direction, and 1 m/s in the Z direction all at the same time, correct? I can also rotate 1 m/s around the X, Y and Z axes. This is where you get your "six degrees of freedom".

Think about it. I can hold down A to move forward, pull back on the stick to rotate about the X axis, move the stick left to rotate about the Y axis, and move the hat to the upper-left to strafe left and up. That's 5 velocities. Adding in a sixth isn't that much of a mind stretch.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

actually you turn more slowly in the vertical direction than in the horizontal direction. But that's not really important for the purposes of this thread... (remember it in multi, though!)
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

pull back on the stick to rotate about the X axis, move the stick left to rotate about the Y axis
These two do not have any effect on the ship's velocity though. They spin the ship, yes, but you can do that all day and the ship will remain in the same spot, albeit facing in different directions. There are only 3 axises on which the ship can propel itself.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

sorry i didnt mean axis', i meant more like directions. say you have slide right, slide down, and forward pressed. simple trichording, right? turn your nose to the left and put your ass end up and right at an angle with bank, and you arent really "quadchording" but you are moving with 4 keys instead of 3. instead of going in a fairly straight line, you're turning - but at such a slow rate its more like a wide sweep.

this is how i fly, i dont ever have my nose pointed straight when i'm moving straight, unless i'm playing veins where they can only come from one spot - the front. when i fly, i constantly have my joystick all the way forward and to one side with my twist cranked the opposite direction when i'm free flying. i should say rather, that i do this in small levels like athena, kata, bi3, etc. because when someone comes into contact with me this allows me to get position on them quicker than they can on me, and they really dont have any option but to fight me at said position disadvantage in those 1v1 type levels. its only a split second that i have an advantage, but in this game a split second can be the difference between life and death in alot of cases.

suncho does it too, but he's alot more extreme than me. i fly methodically and only move when i absolutely have to, where as he's constantly moving forcing you to move to get a bead on him.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Clayman wrote:These two do not have any effect on the ship's velocity though. They spin the ship, yes, but you can do that all day and the ship will remain in the same spot, albeit facing in different directions. There are only 3 axises on which the ship can propel itself.
You're missing the point. They do have an effect on the ships velocity, just not in the X, Y, or Z directions. They don't make you accelerate faster in any of these directions, but they do make you reach your intended orientation faster.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

say you want to turn left. is it faster to just point your nose left, or to point your nose left while sweeping the back end of your ship around the opposite side? you reach your target quicker adding the bank and sweep than you do just turning.

what i do, is turn left, roll to the right so i'm slightly upside down, swing my ass end around and also move my nose up. hence "quadchording"
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

imagine a box, with an infinitisimal lines touching opposite sides of the box. every line goes through the center, thus, created infiniate axises.

i have no idea what im talking about... so ha! im abe lincoln!

anyways... i guess you pretty much are moving along 3 axises, but spinning a little... moving sideways on one the y axis or something, then having other parts be on the x or z or blah blah blah... ill just read what you guys write. lol
some of what clay makes sense, but kurupt is right in a way too... i do think its quadchording.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I'm still not sure whether we're disagreeing at this point - my point was simply to correct the notion that there exists an additional axis of movement and thus a faster velocity than tri-chording. The extra motion in "quad-chording" is simply orienting the direction the ship faces.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

One could always move through time, that would work as a fourth dimension
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i said before it doesnt make you move faster, it just allows you to turn quicker.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Shadowfury333 wrote:One could always move through time, that would work as a fourth dimension
The only way to affect your velocity through time is to affect your velocity through space. Relativity only matters when you're moving. ;)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

well, moving through time would make you faster and slower at the same time, depending on which point you were at.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Well, ... Speaking of fast turning tanks that scare the sheet out of you, ...

What ever happened to Feind ..? The scariest Tank pilot of them all ?!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

fiend was pretty quick in his tank, but i was way more afraid of mpnkee, crown, krom, jazzy, birdseye, kal-el, rock, bah, sky, shadowfox, scratch, and a few more than i was of him. he was damned good though.