Fear the draft?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Fear the draft?

Post by Nightshade »

Guess which party would most likely institute a draft if it were in power?

The democrats. They're the only ones that ACTUALLY WROTE a bill to restore the draft.

Don't want a draft? Vote republican.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Yes, we know.
And yes, we know that sadly, there are [a lot of] people that don't know that.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The whole thing is a bunch of hooey. Vote for who you feel like. Both parties are playing the draft card as a scare tactic, so stfu with your "dont want a draft? vote republican" hooey. Neither party is about to initiate a draft.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

The Republicans aren't playing it as a scare tactic. The Democrats are, I'm sure you agree, considering my own beloved senior senator Chuck Rangel came out and blatantly said so. The bush administration has been declaring every chance it gets that there will be no draft; I have *never* seen or heard of a Republican higher-up claiming or hinting that Democrats would institute a draft. Right-wing pundits, on the other hand, will seize any opportunity to put fear of the Democratic party into their listeners, and this issue is no exception.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

Serious question:

Did Kerry ever state how he intends to add two divisions (40,000 soldiers) to our military forces without a draft? Does he mean 40,000 new soldiers, or moving 40,000 from other places and into Iraq?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Part of that 40,000 comes from the new soldiers he expects to recruit with his 2-years-for-college-money program. That's what I hate most about the military; people join to get a free ride for college, and then complain when they get sent to war instead of to a radar station in Germany. At least right now anyone who enlists knows damn well where they're going.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

I must admit I find that last part puzzling as well. How can someone sign up for military service, given our history, and not expect to see action somewhere. It's quite a gamble you're taking when you think about the thousands of loan and grant options that are available.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

DCrazy wrote:Part of that 40,000 comes from the new soldiers he expects to recruit with his 2-years-for-college-money program. That's what I hate most about the military; people join to get a free ride for college, and then complain when they get sent to war instead of to a radar station in Germany. At least right now anyone who enlists knows damn well where they're going.
The army tried to recruit me back in my freshman year- I think it was right after 9/11. I had my suspicions about what was coming, and didn't want to get myself involved in a war. I think that was one of the best decisions I have made in my life.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Where's the proof that the democrats want the draft?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

DCrazy wrote:At least right now anyone who enlists knows damn well where they're going.
Exactly. I have no problems saying 'oh well' to someone who enlists now. When I graduated from HS I gave some thought to enlisting, I never would have expected to have been used to pre-emptivly topple a dictator who posed no imminent threat to the United States.

I am a big fan, supporter, and even would be a willing participent of National Defence, it's the National Offence part that pisses me off. I would like to participate in an army reserve where I knew that my life would only be on the line to protect us from invading forces.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:Where's the proof that the democrats want the draft?
There is none, there is proof however that they wanted to, and did, propose legislation to scare people into thinking the draft was going to happen soon because of the war on terror.

The two congressmen who wrote and proposed the bill were democrats, no republicans backed it, the president opposed it and when it came up for a vote the two authors of the bill voted against it themselves. Basically the republicans in control of the house called their bluff.
But that doesn't keep people from scaring ignorant children of voting age with the 'Vote or Die' propaganda strategy.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

But "vote or die" sounds neat.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Crap, not this again. Please drop it. The draft is not going to happen.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

DCrazy wrote:Part of that 40,000 comes from the new soldiers he expects to recruit with his 2-years-for-college-money program. That's what I hate most about the military; people join to get a free ride for college, and then complain when they get sent to war instead of to a radar station in Germany. At least right now anyone who enlists knows damn well where they're going.
The recruiters sell it that way so I'm not surprised when ppl suddenly get a reality dose and start complaining..
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'm going to vote for the giant douche
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I'm too old to be drafted! HAH! neah :P
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Duper wrote:I'm too old to be drafted! HAH! neah :P
And I expect that by the time we actually have a realistic chance for reinstating the Draft, I'll be too old, as well. :P Though I'm hoping I'm dead by the time that (WWIII) happens. ;)
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

There will be no draft, not now, not in the future.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Kerry wants two more active divisions in the Army, and Bush has his eye on Iran... Oh, and recruitment rates have sagged since going to war in Iraq.

There aren't two divisions just lying around, and the military is too tapped already to [successfully] invade another nation, so where are the troops going to come from? I could see the draft starting within the next ten years regardless of who is in office. Of course, none of the candidates would admit to such a necessity being down the road because I'm sure they'd all like to have futures to their political careers.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

BlueFlames wrote:Oh, and recruitment rates have sagged since going to war in Iraq.
I wonder why?