3 Monitor PC settup

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

XeonJr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

3 Monitor PC settup

Post by XeonJr »

How do I hook up 3 monitors to the 1 PC without totally destroying PC performance :)

I have not had any experience with multi graphics card systems. ie 1AGP and a PCI equiv or 2 pci-e cards. Is it possible to get it working that way?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

1 AGP card with dual output.
1 PCI card with single or dual output.

Install AGP, and configure it properly for 2 monitors
Install PCI, and configure properly.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I use a system with 3

The system uses an AGP FX5900 Ultra and a PCI FX5200, both dual head, so 4 minitors could be hooked up.

nVidia's drivers have remarkable support for multi monitor systems using their cards. Managing and using them is quite simple.

As far as performace goes, you also have a great feature built intot he drivers for performance settings. Using the "Single monitor" performance setting shows almost no hit in performance when compaired to using just one monitor. Remember though, you are just using one monitor when you are gaming. The middle one in my case.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

STRESSTEST wrote:Remember though, you are just using one monitor when you are gaming. The middle one in my case.
o_O

Many games support multi-monitor gaming goodness, and you should try it! Any game that uses the Quake 3 engine supports it. And Quake 3 on 3 monitors running at 2400 x 600 mode is awesome. Your field of view is HUGE, and it's amazing fun. Don;t try it with 2 monitors because the crosshair is split between left and right screens. Very annoying.

A feature I've requested from several games makers is the ability to move the crosshair and have shots aim at wherever the crosshair is!

Just as an aside, Core Decision is going to support multiple monitors. WOOT! :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

STRESSTEST wrote:nVidia's drivers have remarkable support for multi monitor systems using their cards. Managing and using them is quite simple.
Agreed, I have two monitors with dualview myself and I dont know how I ever used to manage without it. Three would be great, but I dont have a PCI geforce card handy (or a third monitor for that matter).
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Well you all know my post about my stupid DVI-D port, so are DVI monitors any more expensive than VGA monitors? I have two black 17" Samsung 712N VGA monitors right now, I want a third that would fit in well and is around a $400 budget... is that possible?