mod questions

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Punkware
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

mod questions

Post by Punkware »

hello,

What is this communities Favorite weapons? I am thinking about making a mod with new weapons. I want to know what old weapons to keep. What weapons do you like from other games? Try to be balanced and not rediculous.
I heard something about a redeemer missile from UT2004?
Do you want your weapons to be point and click, or customizable (meaning they have different modes, fast fire, slow powerful fire, etc.) ?
Do you like the simplicity Descent has, or would you want more customizable features?

What Ships do you all like? Are there any new ships/features that the overall community wants?
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

The weapons i would keep: fusion, smart, homing, plasma, spreadfire, helix, pheonix.

Dont keep the emd cannon or microwave.

make 6 levels of lasers and each capable of quad.

instead of ab coolers make md asorbers or have both

if u make a mod like that i might play it ;p

simple is good try to keep it balanced by limiting the number of 1 hit kill weapons

redeemer is like a guided missile

and i would say make the ship fast and not make it weaker the way it takes damage
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I'm always amused by weapon modders. Sorry. Outrage spent a LOT of time AND money getting the weapons in D3 right. Conveniently, the Helix, Spreadfire and Phoenix are not weapons from D3...

If you want to mod weapons, leave them alone except for skinning them with better models, more eye candy etc. (I have a real nice eye-candy table file from Testiculese).

Weapon mods don't impress me I'm afraid, I have seen several, and they all suck. Unless you are somehow equal to, or better than, the original coders, I seriously doubt you can improve on them. But good luck anyway!

BTW, i'm a pompous jackass. ;)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Disagreed. The original D3 weapons were poorly balanced. MD would just about be balanced if phoenix was available...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Mobius wrote:BTW, i'm a pompous jackass. ;)
All right, sigs need to be re-enabled for this line alone. :P

I'd say go for it. Get some ideas and try them out; see what works. Contrary to what Mobius says, it doesn't take lots of money to develop a well-balanced mod, just some old-fashioned hard work and experimentation.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

D3 weaps are balanced..it's the level designers who don't balance their levels.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Spreadfire was in no way unbalanced... its scatter effect was countered by a relatively weak sting and a near uselessness in hallways. It's just a good way to make it a bit easier to whittle down pesky dogfighters. :)

Phoenix and Helix, there is a case for, but Phoenix wasn't really so bad. It bounced, sure, but that doesn't make it a better weapon if you're spraying someone against a flat wall considering you'll probably both die; it does have a ridiculously high damage rate and rate of fire, but it's not really much easier to use than Plasma, and drains energy too fast to be any real use in a drawn-out fight.

Helix was 'balanced' in a similar way, except if you knew the first thing about using it you could kill two guys before you were drained anyway, so I can't really argue against not keeping it. :) It was hilariously fun though.

I'd say Testi has a big point though. Even in D1 and D2 (well, especially D2) if you made your level in a certain way it tended to make levels much more suited to some weapons than others; long hallways encourage Gauss or Vulcan use, big rooms encourage Helix or Spreadfire. Twisting halls generally encourage quad lasers, Plasma or Phoenix...

If you balance your levels you can make all your weapons useful.

The problem is, the vast majority of D3 levels have too much space, which makes MD too obvious a choice.

Regardless of that, there are some weapons in D3 that simply aren't useful enough; who would use Plasma, and where, if they had quad super lasers? Microwave is a bit of a curiosity, likewise EMD, but the same things apply to them...
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

PLASMA & MICROWAVE are the â??enhancedâ?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sirius, I use the plasma much more frequently than quad lasers. I'm not sure what the damage rate per second is (from your post, I'm assuming it's about equal/a little less for the plasma), but my criteria is the rate of fire. I'm not the most accurate of players, so the more shots I can fling out, the more damage I can potentially do. This is where I choose the plasma: it's a much more "spray 'n' pray"-friendly weapon.

AO, the Mangum ownz the BP any day of the week. :P Let me re-post what I posted today at PD:
There's absolutely no advantage to flying the Black Pyro. If anything, I see it as a disadvantage. Dual missile fire is all well and good, but if you miss with one, you'll miss with two, and you'll just run out of ammo twice as fast. Overall, the Plasma doesn't fire any faster; that pause is more for show than anything else. The MD reload rate is absolutely terrible. Without an afterburner cooler, it's almost as slow as a Tank. Besides all that, its shields are one point weaker than a GL's. So what, you might ask? Well, if a GL gets hit by a Smart, it's alive with no shields. Can't say the same for the BP, can you?

(Yes, I know you're going to come back and say "Triple Omega and Rapid-fire Microwave!" Let me put it this way: if I let someone get close enough to me for Omega to be a problem, then I deserve to die. I'll give you the Microwave, but it's not the most useful weapon in its own right, and that doesn't make up for the ship's deficiencies.)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

alot of big heads

BP is dumb, it's a Pyro GL (same shields and damage rates too) with dual fire missles, rapid micro, and rapidplasma. The only downfall to this ship is those rapid weapons may work well on lan, but online just cause major loss/lagg, even worse when a pilot gets the rapid powerup and multiplies that loss.

Hence the statement: "BP has a built in LAG shield"

Have you ever noticed when a BP pilot joins the game for the first time everyones game hiccups for a second, unless of course there already is a cheasy BP in the game.

I consider that the BP Lagg code loading

-------------------------------------------------------------

So Black Pyro pilots, go fly a GL...

Yes, you shall die more!!1!1!!.. not from lack of GL SKILLZ.... but because your loss is less..

Now when pilots shoot at you while you are in your spray and pray mode with you CHOICE weapons.. they actually hit you

So any further references to the qualities and benefits of being a Black Pyro pilot, is just a coverup for your crutch.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, the truth shall set you FREE.. :oops:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

C'mon, anyone who is anyone is a BP pilot! BP handling is actually different from the GL, and the MD is slower, so you'll never accidently start firing faster than you can think (they actually could have slowed it down more)! That's what makes the BP so superior, aside from the style: the BP is so cool it's almost... too cool. The right tools for the right job, and the BP is the definately the right, tool. ;)

Sergeant Thorne pats the dashboard of his BP lovingly as he flies off into the sunset

Disclaimer: Sergeant Thorne is suffering from high-sugar-content-coffee related mood swings. Please pass the sugar bowl...
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

40,000 dogfights & I have a winning percentage in random combat fighting primarily in a BP. :P

My bottom line is wins & losses, no matter how anyone else regards the ship. I like it, Iâ??ve mastered it, & I win in it. Thatâ??s good enough for me. 8)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

but then, how would you do if you were in a different ship? You might be winning in a BP, but I bet you'd win bigger in a different ship, at least most of the time.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Never used a BP myself... because I never bothered buying the Mercenary expansion. Didn't see it as worth my money.

I still don't see what the fuss is about.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

whining about the BP? I freaking LOVE the BP. When I see someone in a BP it's like bells go off...easy kill! easy kill! DING DING DING!

:)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

soo ppl want the BP?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

we already have the BP but thx!!
Punkware
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Punkware »

What I think Thenior means is that do you want the BP in the MOD. I was wondering that too
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

PW, dood :) -

1st let me say your efforts to enhance the game are appreciated. :D I stand by my original suggestion that MD should be required to strike a â??sweet-spotâ?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

[quote="ArcherOmega"]If a BP is the â??easy killâ?
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

Lothar wrote:Because most of us would rather have good fights than easy kills. Fly whatever you want, of course -- if you're good enough, the BP might handicap you just enough to lead to more good fights and less easy kills for you ;)
Though not mentioned specifically in â??defacto legal termsâ?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

ArcherOmega wrote:40,000 dogfights & I have a winning percentage in random combat fighting primarily in a BP. :P

My bottom line is wins & losses, no matter how anyone else regards the ship. I like it, Iâ??ve mastered it, & I win in it. Thatâ??s good enough for me. 8)
/me hurls chunks from the stench of Danceritisms

Maybe you should play something other than Subway Dancer !!
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

BUBBALOU wrote:<ArcherOmega>Maybe you should play something other than Subway Dancer !!
BUBBALOU, dood, the BP has been BANNED from SUBWAY DANCER for ages. :P If you were a random combat competitor, you would know that. Get back in your MAGNUM, go under ALIAS & report immediately to the nearest HALCYON level to hide your shame. :lol:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

hahaha everyone knows my aliases, and for my magnum when i use it once every 6 months is TUBBALOU (like you can not tell who it is).

So No0bness Omega go back under your PD rock with your BP or better yet.... go play chicken with traffic on 3rd Ave between 33 and 36th st around 4 pm.... yeah you know where I'm talk'n-bout

Damn i miss real pizza
KlubMarcus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KlubMarcus »

I use the plasma much more frequently than quad lasers. I'm not sure what the damage rate per second is (from your post, I'm assuming it's about equal/a little less for the plasma), but my criteria is the rate of fire. I'm not the most accurate of players, so the more shots I can fling out, the more damage I can potentially do. This is where I choose the plasma: it's a much more "spray 'n' pray"-friendly weapon.
Plasma blobs have a little more "weight" to them. You can rattle a ship by getting up close and hitting them with a stream of Plasma blobs.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

You know, you say it like it's a BAD thing that Bubbalou didn't know that Subghey Dancer has BP banned.

As far as I can see, the only way that information could hurt your credibility is if you DID know it..

as in...You fly the BP?
as in...You fly in Subghey Dancer?
as in...You fly the BP in Subghey Dancer?
as in...Yuo Aer Teh n00b!!11!!1!one!!1eleven!

Punkware
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Punkware »

lol
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

If you want to make a weapons mod, one suggestion I would make is to bring back the weapons from D2. Seeing their return into the D3 Fusion engine would be sweet.
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

WarAdvocat wrote:You know, you say it like it's a BAD thing that Bubbalou didn't know that Subghey Dancer has BP banned.
â?¦
as in...Yuo Aer Teh n00b!!11!!1!one!!1eleven!
Typicalâ?¦this kid paints himself into a corner trying to look cool, then his clique-buddies come around & offer moral support via the inevitable, but childish, analogies to â??gheysâ?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Clique buddies? Low self-esteem? Maybe you should try to learn something about the community you profess to be a part of. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Know what would rock? A total conversion to D2 :) That's a sweet idea.

He thinks that I was engaging in "street talk" & you expect him to learn about the community? C'mon ;) He doesn't even get the joke.

Oh and news flash: If you want to make me sound immature, responding to my mockery with a personal attack will never do :P
Punkware
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Punkware »

c'mon ppl off subject....
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Punkware wrote:c'mon ppl off subject....
Dude this is the multiplayer forum...

The whole thread is off subject starting from it's conception.
Punkware wrote: I am thinking about making a mod with new weapons....
Coders Corner
For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more

is where you need to post this stuff or the DEVO area
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

This isn't Coder's Corner material, BUB-UH. He actually posted it in the Multiplayer and Descent Development forums, it just took off in here.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Zing.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Oh Really....

crossposters should be prosecuted
Punkware