Dominant file-sharing programs

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Dominant file-sharing programs

Post by Birdseye »

Not a thread for discussing w4r3z, just curious as to what everyone is using these days. I use eMule. Does anyone still use Kazaa (or Kazaa Lite)? I'm guessing WinMX is pretty dead. For MAC OSX, is hotline the only solution?
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Soulseek hands down.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I still use Kazaa Lite for the lighter downloads. Else I turn to Bit-Torrent. I used to use programs like Emule or Edonkey until Bit Torrent convinced me that it is better, you can aquire downloads faster that way.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Top Wop wrote:I still use Kazaa Lite for the lighter downloads. Else I turn to Bit-Torrent. I used to use programs like Emule or Edonkey until Bit Torrent convinced me that it is better, you can aquire downloads faster that way.
If you have decent upload speeds. Otherwise its kinda difficult. I get 4mb down so sometimes its a better option to just straight download it as long as the other person has broadband too then it is to use bittorrent sometimes.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

If my campus didnt neuter it, I would be using bit torrent all the way. But for now, most of my downloading is off of winmx.

I havnt used kazzaa in over a year.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

tried azureus for a while but it has a tendency to gobble memory and crash the pc fairly regularly for me and others, played with bit-tornado for a while but the most stable and fastest for me is bitcomet.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Direct Connect and bittorrent here. Bittorrent (latest tornado client) for anything newly released, DC++ for anything old. Sometimes I download off IRC if a XDCC bot has what I want.

Bittorrent is often better for anything big, probably has something to do with bittorrent using up more then one third of the total internet's bandwidth (more then all the other P2P programs combined). BT has a lot of overhead, but it also has a very useful level of error checking, if you downloaded a file off anything else and it was corrupted, finding a bittorrent with that exact file you can resume the bittorrent over that file and repair it with only a small download.

The one serious problem with bittornado and other clients like it is they are extremely sensetive to bad memory, if your PC has less then perfect RAM in it, get used to the idea BT is going to crash with "download corrputed, please resume" often. And bittornado also comsumes about 30-40 MB of RAM per torrent running, and can slow a computer to a crawl in a supprisngly short time.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

I use BT / IRC / FTP

I used to use DC++ but all I download now is unlicensed anime so BT has that covered
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Bitorrent and FTP here. Haven't used kazaa lite or winmx in years. I still have the old installers (before the klite sites got shot down) handy just in-case I need to though.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Krom: With bittorrent do you ever get empty/fake files?

I remember a long time ago I would download on some file sharing programs and it seemed like people could do stuff like take an mp3 of John Celebrity Doe and rename it so that you would get a copy of a different mp3.

Does bittorent (or any other program now, like emule) know the difference? I.e. is there some "registry" of names of files? Could someone post a fake .exe of a product? I always wondered why software companies didn't do stuff like this.

I know at least they would have to match the right file size now, but who knows down to what bit precision.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

BitTorrent, unlike KaZaA et al, is blind to file data. It just shares files and folders, whereas other p2p programs check ID3 information, etc. The advantage of BitTorrent, though, is that in order to find a torrent you pretty much have to go to a "respected" site, and they list the number of users seeding and downloading. If the numbers are high, chances are good that it's a real copy of the file.

As far as music goes BitTorrent is pretty much used for distributing whole albums, because it's worthless to share individual songs.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Birds: With BT that would be very hard and inneffective to do just by the nature of how the program and trackers work, I have never downloaded a fake file off of BT. Something to keep in mind is that the vast majority of bittorrent trackers are moderated, so posting a fake file would get whoever submitted it banned.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

slsk
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Anyone here happen to do anything with exeem lite? I wont touch the "official" exeem because its loaded with spoyeare, but is there anything useful about it? Or is it just another kazzaa as I predicted?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

surely you can use a torrent client on a mac. lots of torrent programs are on soundforge, and therefore have binarys for MAC, linux, windows.

G3torrent for example
(oh... scratch that, it doesn't. well at least i'm sure many OTHER progs on soundforge come in MAC flavour)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

There is also that java torrent client that will run on anything that has a java virtual machine.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Dominant file-sharing programs

Post by *Javed* »

Birdseye wrote:For MAC OSX, is hotline the only solution?
I'm using Limewire Pro. (Didn't actually pay for the pro version, found it off some European website for free :) )Works awsome.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

slsk can be used on the mac, from what i understand, albeit with difficulty
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Krom wrote:There is also that java torrent client that will run on anything that has a java virtual machine.
I assume you're referring to Azureus?
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

I also use Azureus here...great program.
Bad@sskow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bad@sskow »

You asked what is the "dominant" ... so what one gets used the most?

I'd say Kazaa still has the upper hand, however Gnutella and some of the lesser known ones are really upping in numbers because of the recent lawsuits against certain software users, Kazaa notably.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

BAAL wrote:I also use Azureus here...great program.
x2

Recent Movie Releases, Full Albums, Band discography's, Programs, and dirty movies. Anything you want realy. On one site I've downloaded 399.60 GB, and uploaded 599.70 GB in the last couple months. Share ratio is 1.501. My line is clogged 95% of the time but I have a huge server to store everything in.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

hey, can someone get me last fridays dateline about the green river killer (gary ridgeway)? i'll pay, help a net zero brother out?
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

Shareaza is really good too....

it hacks into the networks of gneutella, gnuetella 2, morpheus, limewire, emule, edonkey, etc. to use their users' files and uploads

kind of ironic really
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

I use bittorrent for all my filesharing these days (mostly anime). I use the BitTornado 0.3.9 client.