What's the downside of Mozilla FireFox?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I've heard a lot of people talk about it to avoid viruses but is there some negatives?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

there really aren't any

One thing I miss being an ex-Opera user is the ability to rightclick any text ans select "go to url" as an option. Wish Firefox had that even if it is petty
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

What do you use?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Uhh.. Firefox.. *knock knock* hello?
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

I can't think of anything I'm unhappy with Firefox for... :)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

One of the little things that annoys me about Firefox is that it has the seperate box for doing a web search. While it's handy for some purposes, I miss being able to type the query into the address bar and just press down to search Google. This is what the main Mozilla suite does, but it's a feature missing in Firefox.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

The main thing I don't like about mozilla (I use the full suite, have had no experience with plain firefox) is that it doesn't display online 3D viewers, and sometimes doesn't display tables properly. But again, that's a minor detail--the advantages are more than worth the minor detractors. If I want to see a 3D viewer or test a webpage table (yes I do a little web development) I can copy/paste the URL of the site I'm on into IE, and run it once--but for pure browsing, mozilla rocks. :)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Kyouryuu wrote:One of the little things that annoys me about Firefox is that it has the seperate box for doing a web search....
just type google first then your search criteria
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

only thing i dont like, is sometimes when im on my fathers PC which has FireFox, i dont want it to remember my passwords and screen names, it will simply fail to enter any of the info when i click submit. it simply goes back to the previous page of being a guest to that website, and results in having to enter my member info 2 or 3 times to make it work.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

AceCombat wrote:only thing i dont like, is sometimes when im on my fathers PC which has FireFox, i dont want it to remember my passwords and screen names, it will simply fail to enter any of the info when i click submit. it simply goes back to the previous page of being a guest to that website, and results in having to enter my member info 2 or 3 times to make it work.
Umm.. if you tell it not to remember info, it won't remember any info...

its doing whats its supposed to do, fix yourself.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

STRESSTEST wrote:One thing I miss being an ex-Opera user is the ability to rightclick any text ans select "go to url" as an option. Wish Firefox had that even if it is petty
that's a plugin.
i'll come back here with it's name and a link. time me and use the time taken as a "feel the love" indicator.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

One can't forget that small fraction of websites that just don't work properly on Firefox. It's sometimes fun to make fun of the web designer, but it still doesn't change the fact that there's data not easily accessible or inaccessible. :o
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Middle click a link in firefox, most useful feature ever when browsing the cafe and someone posts yet another link to a flash.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Jeff250 wrote:One can't forget that small fraction of websites that just don't work properly on Firefox. It's sometimes fun to make fun of the web designer, but it still doesn't change the fact that there's data not easily accessible or inaccessible. :o
Theres always the View in IE extension. Very handy.

Thanks roid, I didnt know such an extension existed. :D (i lurb teh firefox)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Jeff250 wrote:One can't forget that small fraction of websites that just don't work properly on Firefox. It's sometimes fun to make fun of the web designer, but it still doesn't change the fact that there's data not easily accessible or inaccessible. :o
Go to www.spreadfirefox.com and get the standard email which asks web site designers not to ignore standards compliant browsers. Send it to the website owners whenever you find a site which doesn't work in Firefox. In the meantime, VIEW IN IE works. You can also get VIEW IN FIREFOX as a right click option for IE, just in case you opened the devil by mistake. :)

There ARE issues with firefox:

1) It's not as stable as IE.
2) JAVA disables the mousewheel to scroll with.
3) Sometimes a crash loses your FAVICONs
4) Some extensions (not called plugins) wreck performance on slower PCs (TBE is a case in point)
5) Some extensions disable functionality in other extensions. (TBE and easyGestures).
6) IE launches faster, and renders faster than Firefox. (Let's not get into an argument here - it's true.) That is, until you tweak the pipelining and render wait times.

Over all though, it's a small price to pay.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

I use FireFox and IE side by side and there are 3 things that I don't like about FF:

1) Scrolling isn't as smooth.
2) There isn't an option to have links underline when mouseover.
3) The Slashdot render bug (supposedly fixed in versions after 1.0, but I still think it's amusing).

Other than that it's all positives, really.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Tetrad wrote:2) There isn't an option to have links underline when mouseover.
turn off underline links, add the following to your user userContent.css file(default %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\...\chrome)

a:hover{text-decoration:underline}

holy crap, does turning off underline anchors ever make a webpage empty.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Edit: okay I got it working. I tried it before and couldn't get it to work. And apparently you need a semicolon after each part of the CSS element.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Tetrad wrote:1) Scrolling isn't as smooth.
Someone isn't paying attention: CLICKY

Slashdot cracks me up though. A reload fixes the rendering.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

What's the downside of Mozilla Firefox? Compared to IE? Nothing, as far as I can tell.

Besides, that's what the uninstall button is there for. Why not just download it and try it yourself... it's only what.. 6 megs? And you can uninstall it if you don't like it, it's not like you're deciding where to go to college.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Mobius wrote:Someone isn't paying attention: CLICKY
That only changes mouse wheel scrolling. I'm talking about middle mouse scrolling.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

I can't right click and make a shortcut to the web page on my desktop. Anybody know a workaround? I betcha one o' you computer guys do.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

fliptw wrote:

but isnt that supposed to just remember the login/password data for next time when you visit that webpage to autofill the data?

thats stupid, if you select "No" and it just ignores what you just entered.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I just tried it.

I click no, I log in.

the problem is on your end.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

AceCombat wrote:
fliptw wrote:

but isnt that supposed to just remember the login/password data for next time when you visit that webpage to autofill the data?

thats stupid, if you select "No" and it just ignores what you just entered.
If you click on the 'no' button, it doesn't store your login. If you click 'yes', it does.

:P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

fliptw wrote:I just tried it.

I click no, I log in.

the problem is on your end.

okay i just tested this, if you click yes.....its the exact same thing as IE6 if you click yes to remember a name and password. if you click no, it doesnt remember it. if you click never.....it never acknowledges any user info.

i dunno what my father did to his PC, but it has no problems on my machine, it only does this on his machine.