Descent mentioned in The Toque!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Descent mentioned in The Toque!

Post by Top Gun »

I just received an e-mail from the editor of The Toque, a Canadian humor/satire website. He gave me a link to an article about gamers suffering from motion sickness in which our favorite disorienting game featured prominently. Check it out here! :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL!

Daikatana got mentioned too. :lol:
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Duper you didn't even read it and you know it. You were busy "Kissing the Pitt"
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wtf?????

did TOO! DID TOO!!!! .. one word ..splatter guard ..ok two. :wink:
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

I suppose it could happen to ppl, getting naucious playing any of the descent games. It's good to read/hear that she has taken precations in the JIC senario.

Fus
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

When i first tried Descent, when it first came out, i played it on my cousin's computer, and i felt the vertigo and hated the game.

A couple years later, the story changed.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

What's funny is that I've never once felt queezy playing Descent. I could play it for 24 hours straight and not feel a thing (did it once hehe). I did get a headache though.

My older brother who first introduced me to Descent on PS1 used to say that my flying style made him feel sick to his stomache hehe :D

Just ask Deadman about my flying style. One pilot who ran piggyback on me, said that there was no way I could tell what I was doing with my playing style. Sadly, I knew every move I was making and each one on purpose.

I've actually been trying to learn how to tone it down enough though that I spend more time on aiming at a target. I get in a mag though and I'm a slug. :
So I tend to lean toward Phoenix.

Both of my bro's played Q3A but my drug is Descent 3 :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

as a kid i got SERIOUSLY BAD motion sickness, but ever ever from computer games for some reason (my ears were always pwned, but my eyes could not be fooled).

thesedays i'm fine, thank god i grew outa that. however a couple of years ago i noticed that i can feel kindof motion sick from REALLY BORING games. i'm serious, only boring games do it to me. it's very similar to the sea-sickness i get when i listen to old slow country music.

so, never from descent. although - yeah i have made some friends sick watching :twisted:
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I've never ever ever had any motion sickness of any kind. I can just in my pheonix and fly circles around people while banking, pitching and turning (while sliding) for hours and hours on end.

Moving in 4 or 5 different ways for hours and not a chunk ;)
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

the whole reason i became obsessed with descent 3 was because i vomited the first time i played it. i figured it had to be good if it could make me yak.

at the chicago lan i felt like all dizzy trying to learn watching suncho and kufyit. i had to like go outside and get fresh air. the effects lasted like over a half hour.

oh well.
;p
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you still like that cops?
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I didn't get sick, but after playing for a few hours, when i went to sleep i'd still be in the tunnels. And when i was driving ....i'd be in the tunnels.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Descent dreams are nice. Had plenty of those. Once played Indika 4v4 Team Anarchy, excellent match..

Worlds Apart 2 dreams are kinda like nightmares though :P
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

I've never had any problems with Descent - except the one time I tried playing with a mouse. THAT made me want to yak. All that quick jerky movement I guess. What's wierd is I'm perfectly ok mousing away on quake and halo. Anyway, I don't know how you D3 mousers do it!

Here's a post I read today on slashdot about why we don't have wearable stereo game displays:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=140036&cid=11726570

Apparently your brain can adapt to an improper way of perceiving depth in the game environment. Then when you go back to reality it takes a while to adjust back again. If you go drive your car or walk down the stairs during this period, accidents may happen.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'm kind of wierd about dizziness / motion sickness... I can play Descent for hours on end and be fine; I can't recall ever getting nauseous, even the first few times I played D1.

However, when it comes to flying in the real world, I get extremely airsick. In high school, I wanted to be an aviation major in college; but after getting severely airsick during my first four flight lessons (plus on a short trip with a pilot friend), I dropped that idea pretty quickly.

On the other hand, there's no way I can complain, because my wife has had a variation of Meniere's Disorder for a few years now. She basically feels dizzy 100% of the time, to some extent (some days are worse than others). She's tried to watch me play D3 before, but it throws her sense of balance so far off, she has to sit down or hold onto something to keep from falling over. The wierd thing is, despite all this, she generally does okay flying or driving, as long as the ride is smooth! :P