Buying a mattress

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Buying a mattress

Post by Ned »

Need to buy a mattress and heard it's like suiting up for combat worse than buying a car. Suggestions on where to buy????????????????

Thinking of buying online. The visit to the store revealed a lot of salespeople who need to remove their lying heads from their lying a--ses :wink:
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

oh, and why do they always ask, "What would it take to make you walk out of here happy today?"

I mean really! Everyone in the store would blush if I answered that honestly...........
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Dude, don't even bother talking to the sales people. When they come up to you, just say you're just browsing and walk off. Then go try the different mattresses by sitting on them or pushing into it with your hands (When I say pushing into it, I'm talking about to the point where the springs have to support the force you put on them.). If its what you think would be soft or firm enough, then talk to one of them about "testing" it out. (ie: they break out the piece of paper on the pillow and you actually lay on the mattress.) Try out several of them and then start comparison shopping. After all, what's the point of buying a cheap mattress if it kills your back and keeps you up all night long?

Make sure your bedframe can support the thing as well.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I had a rock-hard mattress. I made the mistake of going for the first soft mattress I found in the store. I got it home, it was hard as a rock. Apparently it had been lain on so much in the store its softness was nothing like a new model's stiffness.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I have a ridiculously comfortable mattress.

The tag says "Serta Bk Ease Supr Pt". It's a pillowtop, and it was about $400 for the queen set. I don't think it's still manufactured, though.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lothar wrote:I have a ridiculously comfortable mattress.

The tag says "Serta Bk Ease Supr Pt". It's a pillowtop, and it was about $400 for the queen set. I don't think it's still manufactured, though.
Serta PerfectSleeper here. Word of advice though, if you're tall, stay away from the full size. I'm 6'2" and my feet end up sticking off the end. :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i also have a serta and can say they are very nice. personally, i wont ever buy a cheap mattress again. my first 2 beds were purchased at a $99 sale. big mistake, my back and neck were always sore when i woke up and often times lingered into the day. i'd go with a nice name brand bed if it were me.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

I had no notion mattresses were pushed like that. How weird. I've never given much thought to the mattress I used, I just always sleep on whatever lying around. Makes me wonder now what I'm missing out on. I might head to the mattress store tomorrow.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Under no circumstances should you buy a bed online!

My partner and I just spent a small fortune on a bed with over 5,000 springs in individual pockets, in Super-King Size - and believe me when I say it is hard to get out of bed in the morning!

Remember when shopping for a bed, that what it feels like in the store will end up feeling much softer when you sleep on it.

I prefer the adjustable slat bed base which permits you to custom-mold the shape of the matress on your side to fit you perfectly.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Ok, the plunge is taken. Dial a mattress

If it sucks bad, you'll see a lot of me in the mines after midnight.

Actually I havent played multiplayer in months. Im afraid Ill love it and get addicted again.

Mwaha haaaaaaaa
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Buy a Serta! Best Mattress you'll ever lay on. Trust me! ;)
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

If anyone has a memory foam mattress, I'd like to hear what they think. Got a MF! pillow and it's pretty cool. Always wondered what a complete mattress of the stuff would feel like. I know they are damn expensive.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

bash wrote:If anyone has a memory foam mattress, I'd like to hear what they think. Got a MF! pillow and it's pretty cool. Always wondered what a complete mattress of the stuff would feel like. I know they are damn expensive.
My Dad has one. I have slept on it a few times and really like it.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Klaymation told me once about a memory foam mattress he had. Said it was comfortable as hell until you tried to spend a whole night on it. Apparently they're very good insulators; so it became uncomfortably warm to sleep on. Would probably work for women, though, since they seem to run a little cooler than guys at night.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I have 2 "Denver Mattresses" and they are really good. Not too pricey and extremely comfortable. I got the firm with the double pillow top. I have never had a bad night's sleep on either of them.....
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

water bed filled with vodka, and a straw handy

now THATS the ticket! :wink: