Education, Threat to National Security

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Education, Threat to National Security

Post by Tunnelcat »

Homeschooling is more recent, in the last 20 years or so. But you're right CUDA, homeschooling is really not on the conservative agenda, even though the majority of kids that started the homeschooling trend were from Evangelical families and so I have associated that with the conservative culture war on anything publicly funded. However, charter schools are definitely the conservative solution to under-performing public schools. Why fix the public schools, just bleed them slowly dry so parents will want to pay for private-for-profit schools.

http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/201 ... al-reality
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I'm not saying that this is the correct way. but sometimes when a ship gets too old it's best to scrap it and start over again. maybe that's the course of action that need to be taken with the public school system
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Tell that to those 800 or so protesters that marched in downtown Portland yesterday in support of their public schools and who are tired of the budget cutting. And tell me how some new private-for-profit school "ship" is going to be inclusive of everyone from all social classes?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Charter schools are also the darling of liberals like Oprah Winfrey. The grade school at the corner of my block has become a charter school, and is attended mostly by poor people.

In fact the school is a Mastery.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Then he went on to say, according to a transcript released by ABC News, "I have to tell you that part of my hesitation on this has also been I didn't want to nationalize the issue. There's a tendency when I weigh in to think suddenly it becomes political and it becomes polarized. And what you're seeing is, I think, states working through this issue -- in fits and starts, all across the country. Different communities are arriving at different conclusions, at different times. And I think that's a healthy process and a healthy debate. And I continue to believe that this is an issue that is gonna be worked out at the local level, because historically, this has not been a federal issue, what's recognized as a marriage."
Agree completely. At every juncture and opportunity, no matter the issue, state rights should be upheld emphatically.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Those murderers in Washington don't care about our education. This is the way it's supposed to be.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe