Wow nice Art. Here is one of mine

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Wow that looks great!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Do you have any rendering from your computer that was not downloaded?

I really would like to see something created by you instead of someones work or some programs canned model

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hey, who was it that did entered the that lizard shaman thingy in a Blizzard Contest several years back?

anyone remember?

Well, it started out as a lizardman, but went through a number of revisions and became something less of a lizardman..
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

That would have been the zbrush artist Darktalyn1.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yep, it was Darktalyn as I recall. That was some excellent work. He built that guy from the ground up; he did the modelling, shading, texturing, everything. I think he got an award for it.

I don't see the thread... anyone happen to have the link? [Edit: Found it.]
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, he got first place in his category.

Also, you see parts of his design crop up in new WoW content. :) Way to Go Dark!!

(Thanks Foil, you rock!)
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

BUBBALOU wrote:Do you have any rendering from your computer that was not downloaded?

I really would like to see something created by you instead of someones work or some programs canned model
I can do buildings very well along with planets.

These are planets I have placed in a Mod of Freelancer all textures were made by me in photo shop.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r301 ... st/Planet/
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Insurrectionist,

I know you did the Freelancer planet models/textures. (For those who haven't seen them, they're far better than the default ones in the game.)

Did you also build the models for those buildings?
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Yes I modeled them in 3ds Max 8 sp3. Flat sided walls are easy to do.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Here is a planet made in Photoshop.

Next post I'll recreate it in 3ds Max. Might take a while to complete. After I complete it, would any one like the .3ds or .obj file and textures to use for their stuff?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Making a planet only takes a couple hours, actually. Two or three textured spheres.

DT's an outstanding artist. I don't know how much easier ZBrush makes the sculpting part of that; I've never used it myself but I've seen it used, and I get the impression you have to be good with clay to really work ZBrush. It takes a damn lot of practice to be able to do textures that well, though. I use all the same tools but I haven't got the same feel for colour by a long shot.

I should actually make a habit of life drawing and painting; that would help a lot.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

So, I can see now I'll never measure up to you guy's hero so I guess I'll move on.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Insurrectionist, I appreciate you posting your works.... Thanks

Very Bad Form Darkhorse - that's now strike 2 for you, keep it up!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't think anyone's trying to belittle your work, Insurrectionist.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

There will always be people who think the art you do can be done with the push of a few buttons. Especially those who don't use a computer will see your tools being the equivalent to an excavator building a sand castle. And they're right. The computer its self can be your partner in developing new projects. What I hate is if you do your job well, people might not see the time you put into something. This page of this thread is an example of people not understanding that. And even if part of the work was from something else, the rest of it is still you and your time.

Also, I think you might be a better texture artist than Darktalyn1. If I needed models textured it would be fun having you work with me.

TO THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD:
If you want to encourage a different kind of work from someone don't do it in a negative way. Simply ask them to do it.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

Isaac wrote:There will always be people who think the art you do can be done with the push of a few buttons. Especially those who don't use a computer will see your tools being the equivalent to an excavator building a sand castle. And they're right. The computer its self can be your partner in developing new projects. What I hate is if you do your job well, people might not see the time you put into something. This page of this thread is an example of people not understanding that. And even if part of the work was from something else, the rest of it is still you and your time.
I find that the ones who know more about it are less easily impressed. It does get to a point where you know it's not really that much work to do something, but it still looks good when you've done it... and just sticking to doing stuff that's "hard" and "skillful" has nothing to do with making beautiful art.

So you just throw all that out the window and go for the look you want.

Bubba, you can forget your silly 'strikes', no-one's listening.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

DarkHorse wrote:I find that the ones who know more about it are less easily impressed.
Yet he's impressed me anyway. :)
DarkHorse wrote:It does get to a point where you know it's not really that much work to do something,
It's those who aren't artists think this. You can draw 2 strokes on a page and try to show a realistic human. And who knows how many times you will retry. The final drawing will still look easy even after several hundred tries.
DarkHorse wrote:///go for the look you want. /// it still looks good when you've done it...

That's all that you needed to say. :)
DarkHorse wrote:Bubba, you can forget your silly 'strikes', no-one's listening.

hhaha. I muted him. The forum has been great ever since.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I get you regarding drawing on paper. It gets easier for the individual artist, but you can't just make a formula to draw a perfect face with no previous knowledge. However, a lot of 3D stuff you can just follow a sequence of button presses.

I don't mind that. It saves time. Bryce has great glass materials that you can just slap on a model and render. No need to waste time setting up a complicated shader network as in Maya; granted you can download someone else's shader and use that, but that still leaves you in the lurch if you need to adjust it and don't know how.

And maybe people who have an understanding of how light reflects, refracts and so on are better technical artists, but technical skills change. When technology made type-setting a trivial task that anyone could do, the only thing left in the end was the idea.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Insurrectionist wrote:So, I can see now I'll never measure up to you guy's hero so I guess I'll move on.
Don't let one comment bring you to that bro!

Show them what you are up to.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

HAHA! That's great!!!!
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

lol
Hey is that the troll from lord of the rings?
Nice scene. It's funny.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Nice scene.

What software are you using to render? Basic spec/bump maps would go a long way.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Those are some of my first renders with poser.

I just don't know if I can use the software right though. This scene is giving me troubles.

http://webpages.charter.net/insurrectio ... htning.wmv

You know how just a few clicks can bring out a scene in 3ds Max. It's not like you have to know how to use a the program to get a scene to animate and add sound. Right Darkhorse. Yes all elements to this animation is my doing.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Very nice. Probably my fav so far.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain