3d Character : Beast Warrior

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

not bad dude. though i'm sorry to say this, but that thing he's got on his back looks kinda like my new mp3-memory stick, just 15 times bigger ;)
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Namely because I suck.
Uhhm dude ... thats me. This is all I can really do.

PAPERBALL!!!! :lol:
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Looks great so far.:)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm late for my date so I gotta rush here are some updates

I will try to post more soon
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Looks great! Kinda reminds me of a demon from Doom.

Still disappointed about the whole cack thing :P
SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

Might I suggest the gauntlets going on the lower hands and the weapon and shield in the upper hands? It seems like an overhead swing with that axe (or blocking an overhead swing from someone else) might be a tad difficult. Of course, I say this having never been a four-armed uber-minotaur before. ;)

The rendering itself is beautiful thus far. I'm especially impressed with the tatoos and veins all over the place. They add some real life to the creature. The texturing on the gauntlets is badass too.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Dude, this is professional quality. This is like something I'd expect in professional game artwork or a Pixar movie!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Hey thanks everyone for the replies!

small update for now

A lot more to be textured this weekend, but this week has been tough due to work
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

DT, in that last pic, it looks like the guys lower leg (below kneecap) is to far back. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Another update. Any comments would be appreciated!

Merlin,

This character has legs like a goat. That's why I made them that way. Or did you mean that you think they are wrong, even in the context? Hm, maybe I should look at more pictures. Thanks...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

You need fur to make this a complete model. Some fur on his legs would kick ass.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

DFW;

I agree 100%, and I'm crazy enough to try it. I've tangoed with the Shag Hair plugin for 3dsMax once before and swore I would never come back to it for a second round, but this model screams for it.

I'm going to tacklet it within the next two weeks. I hope that I can pull it off!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Scabbard is textured; I can only hope this does not disappoint Badboy! :)

Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Looks great DT!
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I want my ★■◆●ing games populated with models like that!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Beo;

Thanks!

Mr. Perfect;

Haha, that would be cool :) With normal mapping around the corner, we are going to start seeing some uber-detailed games real soon...

For now a small update, here is the updated sword model:

I'll try to post the other updated weapon in a day or two, then its on to texturing them!

Once all the textures are done I'm going to make a list of all the things I have to fix up based on everyone's comments and I will begin tweaking. Thanks everyone for your replies I appreciate them....
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:o man .. that's one heck of a nose-picker...

Thanks for showing us your work! It's been a real treat!

I assume this is going on Deviant when it's complete?
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

You have really improved on this DT. Excellent work! Just curious, what's with the industrial strength cup??? ;) That sucker is massive...does this beast warrior have a beast schlong??
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Duper;

I'm guessing you mean Deviant Art? Don't know too much about that site, maybe...

Scratch;

Well I just went by my own proportions so I guess that's why the cup is so big :shock: 8)

(there's a joke in there somewhere from the early shots, where the crotch armor isn't there)

More soon I promise!
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

haha! :P
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

What's up guys, just a small update for tonight

I added a few more details to the axe. I tried something more drastic but didn't like the direction it was going so I guess less is more in this case. Anyway, I'm going to start texturing the weapons tomorrow so I'll be posting nightly updates.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Here's the textured axe...

I've decided to incorporate some blue into his armor and weapons, this was the test run, so let me know what you think!

[edit]

And a full shot, just for the heck of it...

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ok DT, I'm tired of picking my jaw off the floor. ;-)

Just amazing.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

any idea where you are getting these textures?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Hot damn, dude, get that axe design patented. Then sell it! That's awesome.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I'm still plugging away on the sword. I'm like 65% done with it right now. This thing is a ★■◆● to texture, I underestimated it just like the axe (which was another uber-★■◆●). I'm confident I'll have the sword posted by late tonight though.

The shield will be the worst of them all though... Not looking forward to unwrapping it OR texturing it. In fact I'm getting reeeaaallly tired of Celtic knots.

To reply to your comments :

Merlin;

Hey thanks man for your interest in my work. I really appreciate your replies to my thread!

DarkFlameWolf;

Well dude I'm making these textures in photoshop. And believe me when I say it is slow.

Testi;

Yo wuttup man :) Glad you like it! How are things going for you btw?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Dark,

A suggestion, (only) you might want to break up the color scheme of the object a bit. Like the axe, there is a lot of silver and greys. maybe, for instance, a lightly marbled orange/rust (appropriately toned) as maybe blood stains as there are chunks taken outta the edge. The dent I suggested a long while back was with the thought of adding a "used" feel.

Now, I jack about texturing and what goes into it, and I'm not even implying you're doing something wrong. This model Rocks! and it sounds like it's no easy task. Oh and good luck on the fur. ;)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

phew! That was a pain

Only took 12 hours but I unwrapped and textured the sword, hooray for me!

Duper;

I have been thinking about putting blood on his weapons, its still up for debate (and a big factor is if I can get it to look good).

Also, don't know if you noticed, but I did add some dents to his breastplate :)

Tomorrow I will tackle the shield a.k.a the Notorious B.I.G.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

i did in deed. ;)

Nice finish work btw. wow.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

very nice DT!

IMHO the handholds (the space where the hand really touches the knife) should be a little bigger (larger / thicker) because of the big hands of the beast,...

but overall: very cool!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Well it was a long hard-fought battle but here's the shield

I didn't manage to do everything I wanted to with this thing, but I'm willing to call it a draw cause I'm sick of fighting with it. Took every trick I know to get this far.

Duper;

Thanks man

Do_Checkor;

I will have to look into it, although the clock is ticking on my time to work on this project. Won't know for sure how they match up to his hands till he's rigged and that hopefully will be soon.

------

Although the modeling and texturing is done I'm now in a bit of bind... I don't know much at all about custom rigs (I'll need one for this guys 4 arms) and I hate working with fur/hair.

Also, he is currently unrenderable on my P4 2.4 Ghz with 2.5 gigs of DDR333 ram and a GeForce4 4200. I might have to down my # of lights and start taking meshsmooth off certain things to see if I can get him to render. Sigh...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I would pay cash money for that axe/sword and shield set! That kicks serious booty.

How goes? I've recovered from the company going out of business, I'm back to doing my thing for a paycheck. Traded my apartment for a house, so I while away my time on it. Replaced all the windows, built/stained new trim and sills on them all. New kitchen tile, cabinets. I have a ton of projects I want to do, and a friend who's a carpenter for a living who will let me borrow his tools. :) Some dolt painted all the trim in the house, so I'm replacing the door jambs and door trim and all the baseboard trim. And I'll have aaaalllll winter to do it in. Nothing like dropping the heat in the winter and keeping busy. :)

I still play D3, you should too!
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I wouldn't pay cash money, I would pay.... like body organs :)

That's frikkin awesome. Are you planning on making any animations with him? Rigging seems like it would be a nightmare with something like that.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Awsome work as always DT, however, may I make a recommend that you play around a bit more with the war paint on the sheild? Somehow, it looks too fine. looks more like fog than paint. Maybe try a darker blue?

Also, how did you create those fanatastic textures? What resolution did you use?

How did you create the veins and create the cloth? Very cool and organic.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Testi;

Well I've thought about playing D3 again sometimes but I think that part of my life is over... It was fun while it lasted though. Damn I have some great memories from that game.

Nitro;

Yeah I am planning an animation and rigging probably will be a nightmare (I think I will tackle the rig this weekend). However, the good news is that today I got my custom biped set up, with 4 arms! So rigging him is definitely possible.

Getting that working was the hard part, now all that's left is the long, boring, tedious part. But it can be done!

mob-messenger;

War paint isn't finished... I just posted that shield a little prematurely cause I was sick of working on it :) I'll be adding paint to the scabbard and chest armor and hopefully imporving the look of all of it.

The key to good textures is good unwraps. And I spend a lot of time unwrapping. I use Deep Paint 3d for the base coats and Photoshop for the fine detailing. I use a lot of photosource or other types of source images to create brushes and hand paint other parts myself. My texture maps are pretty damn high, some as high as 1500x1500.

The veins are modeled, chamfered edges with the ends cleaned up. For the cloth are you talking about the wraps? those are just box modeled. Take a box and extrude around to get the form I want. Delete the polys and weld at the end...

I'm going to be a little busy for the next couple of days but this weekend I'm hoping to make some big progress. Thanks for the replies everyone!
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Dude, you'd better animate that thing, seeing it walk/run/whatever looks best would cause your future employers wallets open waaaay up :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it'd be so funny if he has a really feminine walk.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Actually, that would be a total and utter failure. :P

Unbelievable work, Darktalyn. Very cool! The blue looks great.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Darktalyn, have you seen the movie in NeverWinter Nights? The one as the game loads up? there is a nice Minitour in there. I noticed that is has some really cool hair/fur animation.

Check it out if you have the game, if you'ld like to see it, let me know and i'll see if I can get it for you.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Darktalyn, assuming you are creating this using 3ds Max, why not use Scatter to dot tiny 3-sided curved tubes (that look like hairs from a short distance) all over the polygons you want?

I've done the same with tree models onto a 21km long landscape for ODS :P

Understand what I mean?

//Edit... Put my theory into action. I've made you some instant fur, took 3 minutes :)

(Each hair is 62 polygons, however, so I'd recommend it as a near final task)