Weight liftin, getting in shape, health

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

WarAdvocat wrote:this probably isn't the place for a discussion on it, but my goals are strength and fitness more than bulk, and I don't want to spend 10 hours a week in the gym. Maybe 5 hours. I'd also like a nice six-pack but the genetics are against me there, I think.

Catch me in chat unless you think it'd be relevant here. :)
Yeah, I'll meet up with you in chat. This would take up too much space ;)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I have a new question.

When is NOT a good time to run through your routine? Since I do my routine at home, I usually get around to it after I get home, feed animal, feed self, play guitar, buddy around with friends...it gets to be 10pm before I get down to the weights. I usually go to bed between 11:00-11:30. If I do a one-hour stint at 10, and go right to bed, what impact does that have on my results?
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Nothing really -- long as you eat after you workout you should be ok. The only aftermath you could have is that you'll be wide awake for awhile ;)
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

No one has mentioned this yet, so I'd thought I'd throw it into the fray: Muscles are composed of two different types of fibers, fast and slow, or dark meat and light meat. In chickens you can tell the different areas, but in humans were much more homogenous so its not as apparent.

You can work out slow heavy sets and get a weight lifter physique (Rock or any wrestler of your choice), or you can move fast light sets, and get a Bruce Lee physique.

So ask yourself this, do you want a body that can lift and do a ton of work but move slowly, or one that isn't as buff, but is fast as lightning?
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Weight liftin, getting in shape, health

Post by kufyit »

Birdseye wrote:I just quit smoking pot
Oh good god, help us. The world is falling apart.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

very buff, move slowly |---+-----| less buff, but fast
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Another one!

Alcohol..when is the earliest you can have a few after a workout without impacting said workout? If I do an hours worth at 5pm, and go to the bar at 10 and have a sixpack, did I just negate the days work?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Bump!
People probably didn't think I repled since the last time, since my name showed up twice, and there was a flurry of activity, and this thread dropped fast.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Weight liftin, getting in shape, health

Post by Phoenix Red »

Get a martial arts club, preferably a southern chinese style, full contact sparring, and members who make it a lifestyle. That will tone you up fast. Not the ripped bodybuilder look, but a lean, tough muscle that can endure some serious stress before burning out.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Dave, drinking after working out is basically negating what you did that day. But it does feel good though..heh heh.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

That about what I thought, so I'll go 24 hours between whisky and weights.