Hypothetical Iraq Draft poll

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

If drafted, would you fight in Iraq

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 61
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

[MS]Instig8 wrote:I voted 'no' to this poll only because I think that if I was drafted, I highly doubt that I should be sent to Iraq. That is, assuming that I even made it through boot camp.

When I turned 18, there was some requirement to sign up for the draft and I was deathly afraid of it. Still, I did my duty, like the lemming I am.
It's called regestering for the draft. Every male american citizen between ages 18 and 25 is required to be regestered- the fact that you're regestered just means that you *could* get drafted, but doesn't make it any more likely that you will get drafted than any other person in the nation that is elegable to be drafted. It would just make it easier if they had to call up the draft.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

What happens if you don't register?

Why don't 18 year old women have to register?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Not registering is illegal. You can lose scholarship benefits if you don't register, plus I believe you are denied voting rights, but don't quote me on the second one. As for women not having to register, according to a relatively recent Supreme Court case, it's basically because "it's always been that way." Besides, before very recently, women weren't allowed to serve in active combat. I, for one, feel that this is unfair to all the young men out there; if we may be called upon to die for our country, why should not our female counterparts do the same? Doesn't "equal rights" also entail "equal responsibilities"?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Yes i would go if called upon, seems like it's a mans duty anyways.
Perediablo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Perediablo »

I'd go in a heartbeat man. But hey, considering I'm allready in the military..what the hey!
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

I would feel better about being drafted and sent to Afghanistan than being sent to Iraq. However, if asked, I would go to Iraq.