Questions about BB usage, tricks and etiquette.

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

There is one thread on the DBB that has been bumped once every 2 years for the last 5 years, but you will have to find it yourself, because it's ferno's job to bump it next year. ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

jakee308 wrote:p.s. can someone explain why sometimes posts will word wrap while writing them but when posted they don't word wrap? do i have a setting wrong or do i need to format the post?
That would depend on the content in previous posts. By default, text will wrap according to the longest object in the thread. If theres nothing in the thread to cause this, then it will just wrap at a given point according to your display resolution. Also, the text box you post your messages in will wrap differently because the box is smaller. When you click the submit button, the board software will format your message for you.

Oh, and I don't know if it has been mentioned to you yet, but there is an image size limit. Try to keep any images you embed at or under 800x600 so it won't break the formatting of a thread. Also, try to keep the size at or smaller than 100kB for those still on dial-up access. If its larger, or you don't have a host to post the image you found, you can simply embed it as a URL like so:

Code: Select all

[url=LINK TO IMAGE HERE]click me for image[/url]
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

ok Kilarin. hmm. tabbed pages. hmm. might be worth a try. like after i get this level done that i started 3 YEARS ago!

yeah Lothar. THAT'S the thread i read. i still don't understand what the deal is after reading it. :?

thanks for the tips MD-2389. no "they" did not.

(who are "they" :? and how come "they" are never around when you need "them"? :x I've heard about "them" all my life but never met one. "not me's" also. i can never find these folks either :shock: and "they" seem to be the one's causing all the trouble. :P )

ok Krom; now for the noob ? of all = what's a bump?
how is it done and why?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Bump.

Bumping is posting a comment like that in a thread to bring it back to the top of the forum.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

jakee308 wrote:yeah Lothar. THAT'S the thread i read. i still don't understand what the deal is after reading it. :?
Mostly, we prefer for people not to post to old threads because they're, well, old. The people who wrote in them may not remember what they wrote, and probably everybody has lost sense of the general flow of the discussion, so they'd have to spend a lot of time rereading things just to be able to understand your new comment.

If, instead, you post a new comment in a new thread and write in such a way that your comment stands alone, people don't feel like they have to read through old material just to understand what you're talking about. Start a fresh discussion and people can jump right in; wake an old discussion up and people have to spend the time to get back up to speed.

In some very rare cases, it's OK to necro an old thread. If someone posted a year ago that the White Sox would win the series, necro'ing that thread to congratulate them might be OK. But if we were discussing some obscure law in Wyoming 3 months ago and the discussion died, leave it dead.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

There's also the fact that people tend to get somewhat weirded out when seeing a thread with a bunch of posts by people who left 2 or 3 years ago suddenly jump to the top of the forum. :P
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Lothar and Top Gun
ahah! :idea: now i understand the underlying cause for concern. thanks for taking the time to reply.

i read the thread originally as i was fascinated by the term "necroposting" hmm i said, shouldn't this be in the NHB group? this sounds kiiinky/wierd. i can see now how it would be disconcerting. i CAN see how a 2-3 month conversation could be carried on though. unless the thread is like over 5,6 pages. As you all said it depends on the topic.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:p.s. can someone explain why sometimes posts will word wrap while writing them but when posted they don't word wrap? do i have a setting wrong or do i need to format the post?
Some addition to MD2389's post:

Word wrapping depends on the width of the output field. So the stuff you type will word wrap differently in the edit control window where you type it than when printed on the screen when viewing it, and as you can resize the browser window or have different screen resolutions, words can be wrapped differently when viewing posts as well.

And give Firefox a shot. It's a great browser, and easy to get accustomed to. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

jakee308 wrote:i read the thread originally as i was fascinated by the term "necroposting" hmm i said, shouldn't this be in the NHB group? this sounds kiiinky/wierd.
not at all

Nekros is greek for "corpse", it's used in a lot of english words. Necrophilia uses the latin word philia which means "loving".
but Posting is simply greek for "explosive diarrhea".
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

How do moving avatars work. what is the format? what do you need for software?

BTW check out thread I started to give new folks a hand at becoming useful BB members: Answers for Vistors and First Time Users.

Any assistance/answers you can provide will be appreciated.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Moving avatars use the GIF image format. As for software - uh.. there are many many options, do a google search. i use GIMP. i'm not going to give you a tutorial on howto use it, google can likely provide that.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

roid wrote:
jakee308 wrote:i read the thread originally as i was fascinated by the term "necroposting" hmm i said, shouldn't this be in the NHB group? this sounds kiiinky/wierd.
not at all

Nekros is greek for "corpse", it's used in a lot of english words. Necrophilia uses the latin word philia which means "loving".
but Posting is simply greek for "explosive diarrhea".
So true! :lol: