Wow, I REALLY hate Windows XP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ick. NT4 Server was flaky at best, and NT4 Workstation was downright unstable.

Win2K is by far the best business-class OS to have come out of Redmond, except for the rebooting after changing network settings. That is the only gripe I ever had with that OS. It had Active Directory, great scalability, and a nice, clean, efficient GUI.

I'm beginning to get fed up with the disjointed nature of open-source OSes, to tell the truth. For example, under Windows, to use my iPod, all I have to do is plug it in. Windows recognizes the device as a USB mass storage device and mounts the data partition. The iPod daemon then launches iTunes, which syncs automatically. When done, I click the Eject button (or if iTunes is no longer open, right-click the Remove Hardware icon and remove the iPod that way).

Under FreeBSD, I had to modify the kernel's USB implementation to get the direct disk access module to recognize the iPod (spent a good month tearing my hair out as the USB mass storage driver saw the iPod fine). Then I had to create a directory for which to mount the iPod, then add an entry to /etc/fstab specifying the name of the device node, where it should be mounted, and with what options. I had already added myself to the 'wheel' group in order to elevate myself to root privileges when necessary. And since normal users cannot mount devices in FreeBSD, I have to open up a terminal and mount the device manually after plugging in my iPod. Then I run gtkpod which seems to be very good at screwing up the iPod's files. When I'm done, I have to bring up the terminal again, unmount the drive, and eject the device. Only then is it safe to remove the iPod.

Replace iPod with "USB Memory Stick" and you can see the mounting (no pun intended :P) frustration.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

DCrazy wrote:
I'm beginning to get fed up with the disjointed nature of open-source OSes, to tell the truth. For example, under Windows, to use my iPod, all I have to do is plug it in. Windows recognizes the device as a USB mass storage device and mounts the data partition. The iPod daemon then launches iTunes, which syncs automatically. When done, I click the Eject button (or if iTunes is no longer open, right-click the Remove Hardware icon and remove the iPod that way).
Hmm, I'll admit this feature lagged behind windows for a while.

But for the past year I have been able to just plug in a usb stick in Linux and watch an icon appear on my desktop. I have been able to plug in my Sony digital camera and have gthumb automatically open up and ask if I want to import all my pictures. Same goes for cds. I do not have an ipod though but there are settings for it in Gnome's "removable device" settings.

I'll admit though that it sometimes takes a bit of reading and learning to get these features working....something that I really enjoy to do.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

BSD has been lagging a bit behind linux in the user-friendlness end, then again the BSD's never had that has a really top priority.

Ubuntu, you just plug a USB stick in, and it'll show up - probably the same with Gentoo once I get that running.

An Ipod I would expect to take a bit of work.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DCrazy wrote:Win2K is by far the best business-class OS to have come out of Redmond
I disagree. At my company, we're running internet based routing and location finding services on Win2K machines, and after some days of non-stop execution, the part I have created (which needs a lot of memory, and yes, I have created my own very performant memory manager, and there are no memory leaks - I have created leak checking functions as well), runs out of memory. Win2K's memory manager has problems reorganizing its free memory obviously.

On WinXP pro, the software just runs and runs and runs ...

On other occasions where some software of mine needed excessive amounts of memory (well, I have even written my own cache manager to work around windows default caching not quite fitting my application's needs), Win2K failed to honor memory allocation requests although the memory seemed to be available (task manager/program internal queries), while XP pro easily fulfilled them.

Imo WinXP is the best OS M$ currently has to offer.

Oh, and btw, I do like Linux, but my plan was to quickly port D2X-XL, and not spend a week or more on figuring how to get around OS quirks.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Sounds like a config issue, Diedel. I would have disabled executive paging, forced a small pagefile size, and forc unused dll's to unload to solve that problem.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thanks, I will pass this info on. :)

But small pagefile size? :?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You have lots of RAM, yes? Smaller pagefile will reduce the disk access and force Windows to put things in memory, where they belong. Memory management principle is still from the old days, where conserving RAM was essential.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

misclick
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nope, testiculese, small page file will force windows to keep things in memory even if they could be swapped.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

(That's what I said)

edit: oh wait, that's not what you wanted... duh! :oops:
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

heh.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

how did u upgrade with out haveing to format in the 1st place?

NT usaly crashes cause of a differnt disk controler
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

***dbl post***

Anyone notice that the descentbb runs very slow and unreliable sence the move over? Sometimes it times out on me and sometimes it works right away.

See the next post for my real reply to this thread.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Warlock wrote:how did u upgrade with out haveing to format in the 1st place?

NT usaly crashes cause of a differnt disk controler
Probably because my old athlon motherboard and the new p4 motherboard happen to both have very similar via chipsets.

I think winXP does a considerably better job at adjusting to new hardware than previous versions of windows did.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Xamindar wrote:***dbl post***

Anyone notice that the descentbb runs very slow and unreliable sence the move over? Sometimes it times out on me and sometimes it works right away.
yes ... phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8703
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

heh

I never had a problem with Activation, as many times as I had to reformat. =P I even changed my CPU and motherboard and all I did was just reload the OS and then, of course, activate Windows. I never had a major problem with Windows XP either, besides spyware and maybe one or two viruses...but I don't get malware anymore besides some cookies maybe. But Windows XP just seems so blasé blah when I compare it to the features in Windows Vista. =P

[Wow, I have two ranks! ^_~]
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

Burlyman wrote:[Wow, I have two ranks! ^_~]
wow yer necroposting! :P

ib4tl
Burlyman
DBB Admiral