High Octane software developing a decent-like game?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

did somebody want the d3k speed hack? i think we still have it archived somewhere...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

BUBBALOU wrote:
woodchip wrote:Yeah right...kinda evens out the skippy phoenii zipping in with a speed hack :wink:
This is true not all of us can get the D3K speedhack, or playonline games with POS 2Wire Gateways
Is 2Wire really that bad? Or does my whooping your a** make it that bad?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Sergeant Thorne wrote: Is 2Wire really that bad?
2wire is for people who have no clue, surf and have no idea what online gaming is for.

As far as networking OMFG, using combiners that are routing through your rj11C's and a single 26+ga pair(which might even be stranded not solid)...come on

Get a Real Router and seperate DSL Modem, I really do not want to get into ALL the bad things about 2wire, but I will say this ST...shame on you for using that crap!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

2wire is a DSL Modem, Router, and WAP all-in-one-device......thus it plainly = POFS!!!

here is alittle background from my experience.....

a friend of mine just got a 2Wire modem, it took him 9 tech support calls.....3 of them with no final answer to his problems....and the rest lasting at least 45min+ in call time.

why does BS choose the "El Cheapo" materials Bubba? ill give credit to them for the Westell modems, i think they should switch back to those.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

you guys wanna talk about 2wire stuff? take it elsewhere. cuz it ain't gonna happen here.

get back on topic.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

please please please include client side switches for voice and taunts. I find both are misused and if I couldnt turn em off I wouldnt play the game.
like someone said earlier just make sure it works with teamspeak gamevoice and ventrilo. oh and roger wilco for the poor mac bastids.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Nothing personal to the mac users but: I would say this community has already been burned badly enough by mac support (*hint, mac and linux are what prevented D3 1.5 from ever coming out). I would say the 5% of the gaming community that you might gain by supporting macs is not worth the time you would spend coding for it.

Linux, ok I can say support that because I have been thinking about trying out linux on my computers for a while now and if nobody makes software for linux, we will be stuck with microsoft forever. At the very minimum a reliable linux dedicated server could be made available.

I suppose the most important part of coding is to not stretch yourself too thin trying to support everything, like, linux, 64 bit linux, win32, win64, mac, etc. I guess I am the type to say pick the most compatible platform and use only it.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

System requirements

Post by Jesus Freak »

What will the system requirements be for this new game? I currently have an AMD Athlon 1.4ghz/512mb pc-2100/ATI AIW Radeon 7500 64mb ddr. How will that run it? I actually would be delighted if this new game had highly intensive graphics like Doom 3(yes I've played it on my pc and others). If, like Doom 3, it can run full graphics 1024x768 with a Radeon 9800 Pro or maybe the soon-to-release GeForce FX 6600 GT, that would be sweet. I'm going to be upgrading soon anyways.

Also, what about Internet requirements? I've been plagued with living in a rural area with rip-off highspeed Internet choices. Doom 3 does NOT run on 56k. Will this be like that? If making the game playable on a slow 56k modem means sacrificing on gameplay for the highspeed players, I'd suggest just dropping all 56k support. I know I have 56k, but it's a technology of the past. Eventually I myself will move forward and get highspeed(in 2 years when I go to college!!! W00T!)

And will there be single player? Just wondering, so if I can't play it on-line, I can get a taste in single player :)

Oh and plz pleeeeeeeease incorporate the fusion cannon. Somethin similar to the Mass Driver or shock rifle in UT2K4 would be nice too. Descent 3 would suck if there were no fusion. I would also prefer if the fusion cannon did not make the ship shake uncontrollably and turn the entire screen purple so I can't see(like in Descent 1).

Good luck and best of wishes with the project!

And does anyone know the anticipated release date? :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Sysreqs for the game? WHO CARES??? What's important, IS THAT IT GETS RELEASED AT ALL! :)

Plenty of time to worry about how fast it runs AFTER it comes out...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Impatiently awaiting first screenshot.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually I would prefer that the Fusion cannon be more like the D1 Fusion cannon, it took a lot more then a newbie with a mouse to aim D1 Fusion accurately. In close range fighting it made little difference, but it took a very accurate aim to toss a round down a long hallway and have it not hit the walls.
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kufyit »

Krom wrote:Actually I would prefer that the Fusion cannon be more like the D1 Fusion cannon, it took a lot more then a newbie with a mouse to aim D1 Fusion accurately. In close range fighting it made little difference, but it took a very accurate aim to toss a round down a long hallway and have it not hit the walls.

I strongly
agree.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah.

With the sorts of framerates I get in D1 these days it's downright impossible to get a fusion shot going straight. Well, maybe one in ten...

System requirements are pretty hard to guess unless you're already well down the road. I'm not sure how much work is done...
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

kufyit wrote:
Krom wrote:Actually I would prefer that the Fusion cannon be more like the D1 Fusion cannon, it took a lot more then a newbie with a mouse to aim D1 Fusion accurately. In close range fighting it made little difference, but it took a very accurate aim to toss a round down a long hallway and have it not hit the walls.

I strongly
agree.
X3 - the power of fusion should be coupled with a skill requirement beyond just point and click.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yup
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Meh... I never cared for the old school Fusion.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

snoopy wrote:X3 - the power of fusion should be coupled with a skill requirement beyond just point and click.
Actually, it is, IMO, some pilots just make it look like point-and-click.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

DCrazy wrote:Then go play D1/D2. I don't think an exact replica would be fun or expected. The guys at HighOctane are definitely aware of the gameplay dynamic of D1/D2; what they duplicate, extend, change, or drop is up to them.
I never said HighOctane is going to make an exact replica of D1 and D2. I said a clone of D1/D2. Look at how many clones of Doom there are. Are they exact replicas? No. :roll:

I know that the guys at HighOctane know what makes D1/D2 what it is, and I know they're going to add their own ideas to their game. Tell me something I don't know. Better yet, don't tell me anything at all. =P

I just think they should focus on their game design and not so much on our ideas (since most of them are lame =P).

I think Fusion is an overrated weapon, and Zach might agree with me. It only became popular when Descent first came out because it was the most powerful weapon in D1 and everyone started to like it before D2 was around. =P
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

AceCombat wrote:Neo, taunts are already 4 seconds long.....make them capable upto 8 or 10 seconds, like Counter Strike
Taunts are only 2.87 seconds long. 8 or 10 seconds would be way too long.

Yeah, it would be nice to ignore a certain player's messages, taunts, and voice communication, like in chat. It would also be nice if you don't have to type their whole name like private messages in D3.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
snoopy wrote:X3 - the power of fusion should be coupled with a skill requirement beyond just point and click.
couldnt agree more with thorne :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Neo wrote:
AceCombat wrote:Neo, taunts are already 4 seconds long.....make them capable upto 8 or 10 seconds, like Counter Strike
Taunts are only 2.87 seconds long. 8 or 10 seconds would be way too long.

uhhhh....why do a couple of the taunts i use play for almost 4 seconds then?

airraidsiren.osf
suksuksuk.osf

those two play for almost 4 seconds
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Go load up the Fusion cannon in D1, go to a level with a long 20x20 hallway, and try your best to fully charge a round and fire it right down the middile of that hallway. Then do the same thing in D3, you will see just how easy D3 Fusion is to aim by comparison.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote:Go load up the Fusion cannon in D1, go to a level with a long 20x20 hallway, and try your best to fully charge a round and fire it right down the middile of that hallway. Then do the same thing in D3, you will see just how easy D3 Fusion is to aim by comparison.
ill agree to that, i couldnt ever get off a properly aimed fusion when i was playing D1.

D3, POC
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Dunno, Ace, I haven't seen you get one lined up in D3 either ;)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

d1 fusion took a bit of skill, but you guys are making it out ot be way harder than it actually was. d3 made you soft ;)
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

Here's a suggestion, which is completely unrealistic, but fun to think about anyway:

1) Create a physics engine that uses true finite element analysis. Realistic physics like they use to simulate jet engines, with heat, gravity, metal properties, electromagnetism, the works.

2) Find a vendor with relatively inexpensive FPGA card and compiler that works on a PCI interface. FPGA == field programmable gate array, a chip configurable at runtime to be whatever kind of circuit you want.

3) Program that physics engine into an FPGA card so that it runs _in_parallel_ and _in_hardware_ for all the thousands of finite elements simultaneously. In other words, for each clock cycle of the FPGA, you get a complete cycle of simulation. Supercomputer class physics on a PCI card.

4) write all kinds of cool stuff using this advanced physics engine, things impossible in any other game.

4.1) figure out a way to make all this work in netplay. Quantum entanglement networking maybe? hopefully it could work without having to transmit the states of tens of thousands of finite elements every cycle.

5) Sell the game together with the card for a relatively unhackable combo. You must have the card to run the game.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

here i go buying a new card to play one game ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Testiculese wrote:Dunno, Ace, I haven't seen you get one lined up in D3 either ;)
STFU!! :mrgreen:
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Neo wrote: I never said HighOctane is going to make an exact replica of D1 and D2. I said a clone of D1/D2. Look at how many clones of Doom there are. Are they exact replicas? No. :roll:
By that logic, D3 is a clone of D1/D2, no?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Suncho wrote:
Neo wrote: I never said HighOctane is going to make an exact replica of D1 and D2. I said a clone of D1/D2. Look at how many clones of Doom there are. Are they exact replicas? No. :roll:

only in certain parts, D3 has many new twists and puzzles that D1 and D2 didnt have.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Right... I'm saying it needs to stay that way.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Anything going on other than a mindless circle jerk here?
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Is there going to be one graphics card brand that will run this game better than the other? I'm in the process of building a new desktop, and I'd like to take this game into consideration when building my new machine.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Nexus_One wrote:Is there going to be one graphics card brand that will run this game better than the other?

PLEASE BE NVIDIA!!! Ace<-- makes :x AceFace at ATi
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Ok, getting back on subject:

Are you guys going to port this to Xbox or PS2? You might want to consider that after PC release. Mayby you can get your name out more that way and at the same time make more money. You like money, dont you?
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Good idea TW, but the console controllers, to me, seem a bit lacking for a game like D3 where u need to be able to press 3 or 4 buttons simultaneously with a joystick. D1 on PS1 was ok, but it wasn't like on pc. And I would consider making the game playable on the new consoles coming out. PS2, Xbox, Gaycube, they're all old news... at least, if I had one of them, I would not be buying a whole lot of new games a year from now.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, if I had one I wouldn't hold back too much on buying games unless they were multiplayer. (Oh. Obvious... n/m) However, I would be hesitant to buy one with attention soon travelling to next-gen consoles... whenever they start coming out.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

war advocate wrote:Anything going on other than a mindless circle jerk here?
THANK YOU!!!
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Suncho wrote:
Yup. =P
Here's a suggestion, which is completely unrealistic, but fun to think about anyway:

1) Create a physics engine that uses true finite element analysis. Realistic physics...
Using Suncho's method of criticism, how would all that make the game more fun?
PLEASE BE NVIDIA!!!
It probably is, since HighOctane's game uses OpenGL.

By the way, Zach said that he heard that his game runs on a 1 GHz CPU with 256 MB of RAM (correct me if I'm wrong) a GeForce2.

AceCombat, if a taunt runs longer than 2.87 seconds, then it probably doesn't work. Descent 3 has a bug where you try to import a sound that has a file size that is too big and it gives you an error message and tells you that the file was imported successfully. For example, that "Daisy" taunt that I created (and was featured on that old D3 audio taunt database for Macs ^_~) didn't really work for other players, as it only played on my machine.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

If you try and code for one card over another, you'll leave out roughly half of an audience.

Final warning: on topic or I start killing posts.