Google maps?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Google maps?

Post by Palzon »

For the past few weeks, google maps will not display satellite imagery. I'm wondering if it's a government crackdown. maybe they are thinking it is not such a bright idea to give terrorists satellite images of every major city in the world.

anyone have the info on why the images are not displaying?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

i cannot see the satellite imagery you have posted. i suppose it could be a technical difficulty on my end. However, I am not seeing the message associated with filtering by my employer. what i am seeing is a walpapered image from google maps repeatedly stating:

\"We are sorry, but we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region.\"

The filtering my employers use causes a large message saying \"BLOCKED\" and bears the seal of the state of texas.

edit: also it's not as though I am seeing red X's...

Please advise
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Google doesn't have satelite pictures for all regions at all zoom levels. Most of the pictures at higher zoom levels are from arial survey probably.

Your upstream cache is probably fubar, or someone's been messing around with your hosts file.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Because of the way Google Maps works, it could very well be your internet filter. If the filter is set up to return an HTTP error code in the event of unauthorized access, then the JavaScript code that runs Google Maps might think that it could not load the image, and will present a default \"no image\" banner.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

flip, it is happening with all zoom levels and for every map, including map's for which i have viewed imagery in the past.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

No problems here - and I'm on dial-up.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Internet explorer or firefox? (or other?)
if you are using firefox, any chance you are running an extension that might be interfearing? I'm using adblock and NoScript and I can still view the maps just fine, but you might try disabling all your extenstions temporarily.

If you are using IE, download firefox. :)

Whats your Google cookie look like? I've got all of them blocked except for the main Google PREF cookie, which I have zeroed out using the Google Anonymizing script.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

seems to work for me just fine.
Im using IE6 with all the latest updates.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I just looked up a location with GM and then looked at same location with Google earth. GM did not display zoomed image after a certain point, GE zoomed all the way to a blur. I think GM is just stopping when the image becomes usless.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Try http://local.live.com , if it works there then maybe it's something wrong with Google, if it doesn't then maybe it's something wrong with your browser or your area.