Got my wisdom teeth pulled today

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Got my wisdom teeth pulled today

Post by snoopy »

I feel fine, too. Maybe the drugs just haven't worn off yet.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

were they still in the jawbone?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

No, they where all out & the roots where fully formed. (I'm 23.)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

;)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Enjoy the Percocet!
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I got one pulled last week. Just got the stitch out on Wednesday. When I first got it pulled, I was pretty cool. They just numbed me and nothing else so I got to watch the whole thing. I just love the fact that:

First, they shove a needle into the roof of your mouth. Not only a needle but a long-ass needle. First, it goes through your upper jaw, then you feel it somewhere in your nasal region and it keeps going up, meanwhile, I'm sitting there going, ok, where the hell is this needle going exactly?

Then I'm left to relax, when I really just want to run, while dragging my upper lips behind me, right out the front door.

Next, they grab your tooth and pull and wiggle it left and right, meanwhile, I can hear sickening cracking noises while I'm wondering if my head is going to split in half but hey, at least it doesn't hurt. The dentist comes back asking me questions and all I can say is... MWEEEH. MWEMWE MWEEEEEEEH. At this point, I take note that there is a large annoying obstruction in my mouth only to realize that the obstruction is actually my upper jaw.

Next, they take a stitch and thread it through your mouth. That's great and I don't mind the pressure that much until the doctor doesn't cut it but he has his assistant that isn't exactly careful about what she's doing and just darts in and cuts it without hardly even looking to actually see what she is doing.

I thought it was all good until I got home and spent 4-5 hours on the couch continuing to bleed. Before I took the pain killers my folks noted that they were blood thinners and advised me not to take them. So, it became pretty painful for a while but the pain wasn't really too terribly bad.

It is mostly just uncomfortable and annoying. I would still take the trip to the dentist over having that sucker providing a world of pain while a bunch of guys are asking me to crimp a 30 foot network cable for them and the stuff to do it with isn't even there.

I know my story makes it sound bad but it was mostly interesting. The pain overall wasn't too bad but it was enough to make my day a little miserable.

Keep in mind that your jaw will feel a little funny for a while but it will all go back to normal.

I only had 1 tooth pulled but I have the other 3 to look forward too. They decided to take them out one at a time. The others are going bad but they aren't painful yet.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i've been putting mine off. i was told to get an xray over 2 years ago but i'm too freaked oooout.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Mine was pulled out when I was 19. They were impacting my molars and my teeth were getting scrunched, so it was painful when I was trying to chew.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

lol, when I got mine pulled I didnt take any pain killers after, I guess I have a high tolerance

They did hook me up to a drip, but I was conscious during the surgery.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Hahahaha!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I still have all five (yeah five, weired huh?) of mine. My dentist REALLY wants to pull them but can't give me a reason other than \"that's what we do\". I told him if there is a problem, he can take them out. Otherwise, no way jose.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I had all 4 widsom teeth pulled over a year ago, all on impact (yay for my insurace, if none weren impacted, I'd be paying more than $30).

I did fine afterwards too, only time I was in pain is when I choked on the pills for 5 minutes until I could spit it out, and after I started vomiting from the painkiller pills a few days later.

I stopped taking anything after the long night of vomiting. :cry:
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Mine are still in. The two on the bottom fit somewhat and I don't mind leaving them there. It's the top two that don't fit and have shoved the back end molars off at a 15 degree angle. No pain, yet, despite that and being unable to floss that area. Can't afford to remove them, though.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I loved getting the Wisdoms out. I'd do it again if I could. Full anesthetic and vicodin? Pssh yessir.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I'd rather have a compound fracture in my leg than my teeth yanked.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I had my wisdoms taken out earlier this year (I'm eighteen.) I was eating food by the next day. They weren't going to give me any trouble for a while, but I wanted to go ahead and have it dealt with. I'm glad I did.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Dedman wrote:I still have all five (yeah five, weired huh?) of mine. My dentist REALLY wants to pull them but can't give me a reason other than "that's what we do". I told him if there is a problem, he can take them out. Otherwise, no way jose.
as long as there is room and they are growing straight up, then there is no reason to remove them.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

fliptw wrote:
Dedman wrote:I still have all five (yeah five, weired huh?) of mine. My dentist REALLY wants to pull them but can't give me a reason other than "that's what we do". I told him if there is a problem, he can take them out. Otherwise, no way jose.
as long as there is room and they are growing straight up, then there is no reason to remove them.
That's exactly why I didn't want him to pull them. They are causing no trouble at all.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I have all of my teeth still in.

No, I don't have a story to go with this post!
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Dedman, go to a different dentist :P He sounds like the type that would find reasons to make money when it's not necessary to do anything at all. :x
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

See, mine where causing trouble- they would periodically get infected & hurt & crap, even though they where most of the way out. So, I got them out.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I had my top and bottom wisdoms removed separately. After weeks of trying to figure out why I was having massive neck aches for no reason, I figured it out, had my bottoms removed. One was impacted. I was awake for that one, I still have the teeth.

Second time, I was getting massive headaches. They put me under that time, as one of my teeth had grown roots into my sinus cavity, and they basically had to perform minor surgery to stitch it all back up. I was over-sedated, and woke up throwing up everywhere. Because of the stitches in my sinuses, I was blowing blood out of my nose for almost a week.

Fun fun.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

roid wrote:i've been putting mine off. i was told to get an xray over 2 years ago but i'm too freaked oooout.
Same here :O
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Aw guys, it's not that bad.
Lots of encouragement to you both to eventually get the stomach to get something done.

It's better than waiting until something DOES happen and not able to have the money for it... thus having to suffer until you do.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

came across this today, in the Top 10 Vetigial Organs. Thought the bolded bit was interesting.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ ... ans-5.html

With all of the pain, time, and money that are put into dealing with wisdom teeth, humans have become just a little more than tired of these remnants from their large jawed ancestors. But regardless of how much they are despised, the wisdom teeth remain, and force their way into mouths regardless of the pain inflicted. There are two possible reasons why the wisdom teeth have become vestigial. The first is that the human jaw has become smaller than its ancestors’ and the wisdom teeth are trying to grow into a jaw that is much too small. The second reason may have to do with dental hygiene. A few thousand years ago, it might be common for an 18 year old man to have lost several, probably most, of his teeth, and the incoming wisdom teeth would prove useful. Now that humans brush their teeth twice a day, it’s possible to keep one’s teeth for a lifetime. The drawback is that the wisdom teeth still want to come in, and when they do, they usually need to be extracted to prevent any serious pain.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

So, what you're saying is...if you live in Britain, no worries about wisdom teeth? :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The oral surgeon also said something about the food types to me. He said that back in the day man probably ate more coarse food, thus causing more wear on the teeth, resulting in smaller teeth and thus more room for the wisdom teeth. I guess we have to put up with them either way, so it doesn't make too much of a difference.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

delicious rocks, you must try some!