verifying Windows (what retard ... ?!)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

verifying Windows (what retard ... ?!)

Post by Diedel »

After changing my mobo I had to 'repair' my WinXP installation. Now it is pretty hard to understand why WinXP doesn't simply leave the chipset drivers out from loading when finding out the mobo has changed, but what I experienced subsequently is truly idiotic.

I started the regular WinXP installation. If it finds an existing WinXP, it offers to 'repair' it, which I chose. This is almost a reinstall, but your installed hardware and drivers mostly stay intact.

As I have a pretty old WinXP CD with only SP1, I decided first to install SP2 (from CD) before going online. Did so, and when I was done, the boot screen told my that I was probably using a pirated Windows version. WTF? I was asked whether I wanted to verify it. I chose yes. Verification failed ofc (no internet yet), and I was forcibly logged out. When I tried to login again, I was logged out right away again.

Fortunately I managed to login after rebooting, installed an internet connection and started the verifier, which told me everything was ok. As some automatic update was running in the background, I got logged out by the updater - which somehow prevented the verification result to be stored.

I had to go through the verification procedure three times until it worked.

This is pretty retarded, if you ask me. I wonder who has come up with this crap.

(I still prefer WinXP over Linux :P - and be it only because I know it better ... nah, the tools I need are better on WinXP, too ...)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you change any hardware, depoending on which it is, you may have to re-activate it again. Each hardware has a value from 1-7. Once the total adds up to 7, you have to re-activate. A NIC has a value of 7 FYI.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

CDN_Merlin wrote: A NIC has a value of 7 FYI.
wth? you're shitting me right? Changing hardware isn't a moving violation. What happens when one dies on you?
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

I hate having to call Microsoft to beg them to reactivate my system after a hardware upgrade. They talk to you like you're a criminal, even though they can see that I am trying to run Windows from the same hard drive it was originally installed on.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Duper I'm not kidding you. If you chane a video care, I tihnk it's value is like 2 or 3. But once you change a NIC (most people use onboard, so when you upgrade) you must call them and re-activate it. If you are legit it's no big deal. Explain you upgraded and voila.

But starting with Vista, if you upgrade, you'll have to buy another copy of it. This is when MS will not sell many copies of Vista.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think I'm going to hurl.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

CDN_Merlin wrote:But starting with Vista, if you upgrade, you'll have to buy another copy of it. This is when MS will not sell many copies of Vista.
That was changed, FYI:
Vista EULA revision

And yes, I've been bitten in the ass with the "Reactivate Windows" BS. I think it was even a NIC card I replaced since my old system didn't have on board. Had to call MS and sit on hold forever...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote: A NIC has a value of 7 FYI.
wth? you're ***** me right? Changing hardware isn't a moving violation. What happens when one dies on you?
It doesn't. I changed main boards (w/ integrated NICs) three times w/o being asked to reactivate. GF/X card two times as well. After the 3rd CPU I lost my activation tho :)

Swapped MBs on two other comps w/o reactivation request as well.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ok, here's a question. are the OS's in question the Pro version or Home? I know Vista has something like 6 different versions like Home, Pro and Uber in both 32 and 64 bit format.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If you change any hardware, depoending on which it is, you may have to re-activate it again. Each hardware has a value from 1-7. Once the total adds up to 7, you have to re-activate. A NIC has a value of 7 FYI.
You haven't understood the problem. The problem was that you get into a deadlock if you install SP2 before verifying your WinXP copy.

Activation by phone is completely automated here. First you dial in your serial number, then you get an activation code divided into number blocks read out by a computer controlled human voice to you.

Afaik you only need to reactivate if you change 3 or even 4 hardware components of your system (which I did: Mobo, CPU, gfx card, sound card).
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, the thing is you changed 4 things which added upto more tha 7 points which is what I was talking about. Each hardware has a certain value. Once you change enough to make it more than 7, you have to call MS.

I learned this in school from a MS Certified Teacher so I'd say he is right.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

You can avoid the SP2 hassle if you slipstream your install disc.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Merlin,

I see.

JMeat,

that's true.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

NIC doesn't have a value of 7, I've changed them out and not had to re-activate XP.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

was that the Pro version Dcrazy? As I recall the home had a lot more restrictions on it than the Pro version.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

It's the same for Pro & Home.
ImageImage
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, it was a Dell and a Dell-branded copy of XP Pro, so that might have something to do with it. So I hereby rescind my claim. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

One of the advantages of WinXP pro over home is that it will get two years of support more than home ... for all those who don't think Vista is what the world needs right now. :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you are up to slipstreaming your XP disk so you don't have to install SP2 again, you can go one step further by integrating most of the post SP2 hotfixes by using the tools on this page: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

I have used it myself and it really accelerates the process of running through all the windows updates after you install XP.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thanks very much indeed. :) I will definitely make such a installation CD in the near future. You never know. :roll:
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Alternatively you can use the german hotfix packs covering almost any patches released after SP2 from www.winhelpline.info.
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

A slipstreamed install CD will install you a patched OS right away.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I prefer nlite myself. You can not only slipstream but you can customize your OS and include your custom hardware drivers so that you can reduce the \"after-install setup time\" period.