New Server

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

New Server

Post by Richard Cranium »

The new server is ready to be installed. As soon as I can arange a time to get in to the data center I will get it done. This will meen the DBB will be off line for a short time while this is completed and I may not be able to give you more than a couple of minutes notice depending in when I'm able to get in.

RC
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Thanks for the heads up.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Cool. Good luck getting everything setup smoothly.

Speaking of new stuff, my video card decided it was going to quit working at anything over 640x480 and 4 bit color this morning, and only half work at that (garbled corrupted). My computer is at a absolute dead end of it's possible upgrade path and not worth spending any more money on. So I will be assembling a whole new computer sometime in the next couple weeks. I picked a C2D E6600 chip, 2 GB of ram, a 7950 GT, abit motherboard with all the fixings, a 700w PSU and a 320 GB SATA Seagate to replace the whole thing.
substratus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by substratus »

Krom wrote:...So I will be assembling a whole new computer sometime in the next couple weeks. I picked a C2D E6600 chip, 2 GB of ram, a 7950 GT, abit motherboard with all the fixings, a 700w PSU and a 320 GB SATA Seagate to replace the whole thing.
That sounds a lot like my new system I just made, well except for the 700w PSU. Is the motherboard you got the AW9D-MAX?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Krom wrote:Cool. Good luck getting everything setup smoothly.
It should go very smooth. I have the DBB alreay running on the new server with a copy of the data from about a week ago. All I have to do is copy the new stuff in.

RC
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Good to hear RC.
substratus wrote:Is the motherboard you got the AW9D-MAX?
Yup, the extra Sil SATA controller caught my eye, since it should make it very easy to move my existing RAID over. The PSU is an OCZ, I was originally looking at a smaller wattage Fortron, but the OCZ was only a few dollars more for 150 extra watts so I figured what the hell. Same with the video card, 7950 GT was only a few dollars more then a 7900 GT, so I got that instead.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

The plan is to install the new server on Tuesday December 12th at 1:00 pm Pacific time.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Any prediction on how long it'll take?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If there are no problems, from the sounds of it I would expect less then an hour to do the switch over. Though you never know with these.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im puttng down $50 bucks that it will be down for a week. :P
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Top Wop wrote:Im puttng down $50 bucks that it will be down for a week. :P
I don't think I can take that bet.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

TIGERassault wrote:Any prediction on how long it'll take?
If everything goes as planned I would expect less that 30 minutes.

RC
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Krom wrote:Cool. Good luck getting everything setup smoothly.

Speaking of new stuff, my video card decided it was going to quit working at anything over 640x480 and 4 bit color this morning, and only half work at that (garbled corrupted). My computer is at a absolute dead end of it's possible upgrade path and not worth spending any more money on. So I will be assembling a whole new computer sometime in the next couple weeks. I picked a C2D E6600 chip, 2 GB of ram, a 7950 GT, abit motherboard with all the fixings, a 700w PSU and a 320 GB SATA Seagate to replace the whole thing.
Get an 8800 GTX. You know you want to. ^_~
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Neo wrote:Get an 8800 GTX. You know you want to. ^_~
No, I'm not stupid enough to spend $600 on a video card, I'll leave that to people like you. :mrgreen:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

w3rd
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Richard Cranium wrote:The plan is to install the new server on Tuesday December 12th at 1:00 pm Pacific time.
Just a little reminder that today is the day. In preparation for the migration I'll be shutting down the DBB early to back up it's database so I don't have to waste time on site to do that.

RC
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Well, wasn't that fun. It took longer that expected but not because of the new server. You may notice that the Von Descent servers are off line at this time. During the install of the new server something happened to the other server that I stored the backup of the DBB on. With out the other I couldn't restore the data. I had to take the other server home with me and then upload the data remotely. Every message and post has been successfully reloaded on the system.

At any rate we are back online. I may have to tweak the system a little as we go to get some better performance.

Sorry for the delay.
RC
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I hardly noticed the outage, been too busy watching One Piece episodes. I need to remember to not try to use a 200+ episode series to pass a few hours...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Browsing:
http://www.descentbb.net/
returns \"Directory Listing Denied\". You might need to point the DirectoryIndex to index.php?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Jeff250 wrote:Browsing:
http://www.descentbb.net/
returns "Directory Listing Denied". You might need to point the DirectoryIndex to index.php?
Good catch. I thought I had done that already.

RC