Cell Phone

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Cell Phone

Post by captain_twinkie »

Well I have came to the conclusion that I need to switch to a different Cell phone company. I Currently have Cricket, for those who don't know about cricket they have unlimited everything for 49.99 a month but the coverage isnt that great, like last weekend I went a visited a friend I south west missouri and didnt have any signal the entire time I was there, I live in Utah and I my cell phone doesnt get any signal in our local canyons, so I was just wondering what cell phone companys you all have and how well the signal is.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I use Meteor. It's got great coverage around here, but it probably wouldn't do very well in America. Or at all.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

I use AT&T and they got good coverage exp if u have a blackberry or a phone that connects to the EDGE network.

Driveing to El Paso from Midland I only hit 1 dead spot for about 20MI

Btw kricket is going out of biz
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

I use AT&T (cingular). If I had to switch, I'd go with T-mobile. I'm not saying either is perfect (let's face it - they're phone companies). I think both of these suck less than the others in terms of service/price.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have Verizon Wireless. Phenomenal coverage and hardly ever a dropped call. I am extremely happy with them.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

In 2003 I decided my Sprint was dropping too many calls so I switched to Cingular (now AT&T) and it's been MUCH more stable. The \"new\" phone still serves me well to this day.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Alltel has been good up until recently when they started screwing up my bill every month...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I've been happy with Verizon. I got great reception last time I was in Utah (Brigham City). Didn't ever go down in any canyons, though.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'm happy being stuck in the stone ages without a cell phone. No unwanted interruptions, no chance I can be put \"on-call\" at work, saves me a few $$... :wink:
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

Foil wrote:I'm happy being stuck in the stone ages without a cell phone. No unwanted interruptions, no chance I can be put "on-call" at work, saves me a few $$... :wink:
X2
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

^ times four.

I carry a trac phone that I keep turned off for emergency or when I want to make a call.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Having a cellphone is cheaper than a land line for me.

I have Cing...AT&T. I have coverage everywhere in PA. I haven't gone far out of the state since I got it, though, but if I look at the national coverage map, I don't have to worry about most of the country.

Foil, you can turn off the ringer, you can make your own ringtones if you buy a real phone, and can do what I do: make a 1-second blank mp3 and assign that as your default ring, or to specific people. Don't tell your boss you have one. (Put him on the blank ringtone...) They are indespensible when you are on the road. What if you break down at 11pm in a blizzard? What if your wife demands..err asks you to go to the store, and you get there and forget the list?

Cheaper
No interruptions, if desired
No on-call

What were your reasons again? :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

T-Mobile here, few issues, but overall happy
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Verizon. No complaints that I can think of...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Testiculese wrote:Foil, you can turn off the ringer, you can make your own ringtones if you buy a real phone, and can do what I do: make a 1-second blank mp3 and assign that as your default ring, or to specific people. Don't tell your boss you have one. (Put him on the blank ringtone...) They are indespensible when you are on the road. What if you break down at 11pm in a blizzard? What if your wife demands..err asks you to go to the store, and you get there and forget the list?

Cheaper
No interruptions, if desired
No on-call

What were your reasons again? :)
Aw... there go my reasons. Actually, the "$$" reason still stands for me; for Michelle and I to both get cell phones (instead of our one land line) would cost considerably more.

You're right, though... they are really handy in emergencies, and I can keep it a secret from my manager if necessary.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

When I started driving hours-long roundtrip for college classes, I decided I should get a cell phone in case I get in trouble while on the interstate. Didn't want to end up being one of the girls who \"disappeared from her broken-down car\". Great for other emergencies too.

I use Verizon and so far has been satisfied with it.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Foil wrote:for Michelle and I to both get cell phones (instead of our one land line) would cost considerably more.
You may be able to get 2 phones on a "family plan" for a similar amount to what you'd pay for a single land line.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I don't own a cell phone and intend to avoid owning one for as long as possible. I keep my dad's spare cell in my car in case of emergency, but otherwise, I don't use 'em.

I never talk to people on the phone, anyway.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

You can get a special deal at Sprint through their Sprint Employee Referral Offering (SERO) plan. Read about it <here>
they've opened it up so that there are several email addresses that anyone can use to join the plan. Not certain if it's what you are looking for, but its there where you can check it out.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Two of my sons have Verizon, and they're happy with it. It's not cost effective for me though.

My land line with an internet connection good enough to run a D3 dedi server runs me less than $75 a month, long distance included.

My wife keeps an old bag phone in her car for emergencies, on which we pay for actual minutes used .

It's about the only thing powerful enough to get out on the mountain roads we drive on.

A family cell plan good enough to meet our needs would run $100+ a month, and that wouldn't include internet.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

at&t (cingular) here. just damn tired of trying to look for a pay phone anymore. :lol:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I used to have Verizon their coverage is horrible nationwide....

\"Wireless from the new at&t\" aka Old Cingular is what I have now for 4 years +, (not the now defunct AT&T Wireless)

Huge stockpile of rollover minutes not to mention the discount I get on it too!

at&t = the new (aka SBC/Bellsouth)
AT&T = old

american telegraph & telephone

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I have a cell but it's only on when I'm at home or walkabout. Never driving.

If someone wants to get a hold of me, that's what voicemail is for.