Government steals truckers $23,700

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Government steals truckers $23,700

Post by Kilarin »

This is bizarre. It seems things get stranger every day:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5081398.html

Story in brief: A trucker at a weigh station gave permission for his truck to be searched. They found no drugs, and no evidence of drugs, but they did find $23,700 dollars. So, the government TOOK the money, and told the driver that \"to get it back, he'd have to prove it was his and did not come from illegal drug sales.\"

Whoa! We have reached the point where the government doesn't have to prove that the money was obtained illegally, YOU have to prove that you DIDN'T. Isn't that backwards from the way our system is supposed to work?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

That's not the only case of guilty before proven innocent.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Communism.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Communism.
Nonsense. Under communism the trucker would never have had $27,500 in loose cash rolling around in his truck. It wouldn't even be his truck, it would belong to everyone so everyone would have to prove that it was their money and since everyone owns everything under communism it would obviously be their money. The whole thing wouldn't have come up at all. As a matter of fact under communism there wouldn't be a police force just armed citizens enforcing order.
Clearly you are thinking of Fascism.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I think their is a law that requires you to have some sort of proof the money is yours if you are carrying over a cretin amount. I think it's something like $10,000.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Richard Cranium wrote:I think their is a law that requires you to have some sort of proof the money is yours if you are carrying over a cretin amount. I think it's something like $10,000.
Yup, gotta keep an eye on those cretin amounts. After all you wouldn't want some government cretin taking your money... :P

Or did you mean to say certain amount? ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

there used to be a law (or maybe it's still on the books) where you had to carry at least 2 pound around with you, or you could be charged with Vagrancy.
So there was this expression \"got ur 2 bob?\"

edit: actually don't quuote me on that expression, it sounds eerily similar to \"hope you got 5 bucks\" from SA.

anyway, my point is the whole thing makes me feel liek some slave, where you have to be carrying between X and Y amount of money on you and if you arn't then you're in trouble for some fucked up reason that makes no sense and i hate whoever came up with it.

this is the worst RPG i've ever played, what a stupid rule
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Well, as someone who works in the financial industry, banks are required by law to file reports if you take / deposit more than $10k in cash at one time. There are absoutely no laws saying you can't carry it, once it's out the bank's door...see ya later. That is simply amazing that they did that...hooray for govt!!
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

\"Innocent until proven guilty\" LOL

If that isn't the most bull★■◆● quote ever.

If the government treated everyone as innocent, they wouldn't ever bring anyone to court. Why the hell would the government force people they considered innocent to come to court?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

ccb056 wrote: If the government treated everyone as innocent, they wouldn't ever bring anyone to court. Why the hell would the government force people they considered innocent to come to court?
WTF?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

If the government thought you were innocent, why would they charge you with a crime?

WTF exactly
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ccb056 wrote:If the government thought you were innocent, why would they charge you with a crime?
The concept is that they have to ASSUME you are innocent until you are proven guilty in a court of law. This doesn't mean they can't accuse you, but that the mere accusation isn't a conviction. Or, at least, that was the way it was SUPPOSED to be.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ccb, try harder
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

ccb056 wrote:"Innocent until proven guilty" LOL

If that isn't the most ***** quote ever.

If the government treated everyone as innocent, they wouldn't ever bring anyone to court. Why the hell would the government force people they considered innocent to come to court?
Spot the man that doesn't know what things that he quotes mean.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

ccb056 wrote:"Innocent until proven guilty" LOL

If that isn't the most ***** quote ever.

Guilty.... Of being retarded :P