LCD Widescreen or not.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

LCD Widescreen or not.

Post by captain_twinkie »

Well im looking into getting a widescreen lcd for my desktop, my laptop has a widescreen on it, and ive noticed when i play some games on it it distorts the game a little bit, is there any way to not get that distortion, or would i be better off saying with a non-widescreen?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Each game handles widescreen differently. I know there was a huge row about BioShock recently when people installed it and found out that it simply blew up the standard 4:3 picture and cropped the top and bottom.

It really depends on what you do. The 16:10 ratio on my Mac is absolutely wonderful for working in Photoshop. On the other hand, the dual 16:10 monitors in the comp sci lab are really unnecessary, as they don't help with programming or reading documentation at all.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

DCrazy wrote:Each game handles widescreen differently. I know there was a huge row about BioShock recently when people installed it and found out that it simply blew up the standard 4:3 picture and cropped the top and bottom.
Descent 3 does the same if you configure it for WS. I just told the V driver to use fixed aspect ratio and keep D3 in 4:3 -- the black bars left & right virtually disappear during gameplay.

If a game doesn't support 16:10, 16:9, 5:4, best you can do is trying to set up your vid card/monitor combo not to stretch the picture. For nVidia cards, set the flat panel scaling to "Use NVIDIA scaling w/ fixed-aspect ratio" or try "Use my display's built-in scaling" (for my card I have to run the fix to get it to work).

You may be able to set up some older games for WS, in D3 eg. you would have to add the following command line switches:

-width 1920 -height 1200 -aspect 1.6

This would be for a 16:10 1920x1200 display. Note that the HUD graphic still looks distorted (bug in the game.)

Since I didn't like having the top & bottom of the picture cut off I use the following switches:

-width 1600 -height 1200 -aspect 1.333
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Are there any recommendations on what brand I should buy? And is there a option on most LCDs to turn it to full screen mode?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

captain_twinkie wrote:And is there a option on most LCDs to turn it to full screen mode?
:? Huh?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

He might mean 4:3 = \"full screen mode\"? Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Brands..Viewsonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Philips. Maybe Westinghouse? Don't buy Sony, even if they are great, 'cause Sony as a company is undeserving of any consumer attention whatsoever.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Either im retarded or im stupid, but basicly, the issue i stated earlier with the distortion on my laptop, on some games that is, i just want to know if if put the screen resolution to lets say 1600x1200 if it wont stretch my game, or is there a setting that i can apply so i can have the black bars ont the side of the monitor to avoid the stretching. Or am i just rambling about something that is default on the monitor?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yes, some games can be played without distortion/stretching (e.g. using black bars on the side so you can play a 4:3 screen on a widescreen monitor).

For example, Grendel gave the command-line settings to do this with D3 above, and I've seen it done with other games as well.

I think it really depends on the game.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Viewsonic here. I find they are the best I've had or anyone I know have had.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thanks, thats what i thought, so what all do you peeps have? I saw a Acer on sale from tiger direct, any people have anything acer here?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

No Acer here (thank the stars!)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I believe Apple displays are Sony, so that's what I'm using.

I used to use two 4:3 Dells, which were Philips. Color contrast was pretty bad, even after gamma adjustment. The 16:10 ones in our CS lab are also Dell, but if I recall correctly they're the same Sony panels as Apple uses. Much, much better color.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You can snag the Samsung 226BW for a decent ammount if you're interested in a single large display instead of dual monitors.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Right now im looking at getting something around the size of a 22\" with my bonus that im getting from work latter in the month.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Get a 24! You get much better resolution.

22\" are 1680 x 1050

24\" are 1920 x 1200
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Well I just got my new LCD widescreen, it is a Acer x221w it was on sale at Officedepot, right now im running into a weird issue, well i think its wierd considering its my first lcd, when my resolution is set to 1680x1050, my monitor when im on the menu screen shows that the desktop is using 1600x1200 res, so now i have to scroll to see my whole desktop. My video card is a Geforce 7950 GT OC from BFG, and when my res it at anything other then 1680x1050 i can see my whole desktop, right now on the right side, bard of my taskbar is cut off and i cant see my clock, and ideas?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Update your video card and monitor drivers.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Done both, well the monitor driver is only availible is for vista, and i even tried using that. Im running XP SP2
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Try this GF/X card driver.
ImageImage
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I fixed it, found a suggestion in this forum post, http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/in ... 30981.html

I feel retard, GOOGLE before you ask questions!