Best Buy Store Burning Customers

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Best Buy Store Burning Customers

Post by Canuck »

Recently I picked up a large whole home AV install and was over at the Client's home discussing design and installation issues, when their Son who was in the living room next door exclaimed loudly he couldn't get his PS3 to go online. I said I can help you with that and opened up the port on the router and setup the PS3 properly. Voila he's online.

After seeing this his niece who is staying there asked me about making recovery discs for her new HP laptop that she picked up at Best Buy. I told her she would probably just need two DVD-R's and there would be a program to initiate and that it would guide her through it, and should be pretty straightforward.

She told me the salesman at Best Buy said the HP laptop was very complicated and would take her at least 8 hours if she could do it at all, and that they could do that for her for $140.00... just leave the laptop overnight. She felt that was a bit steep and declined their generous offer.

I cant believe how crooked that salesperson was and I am tempted to call up HP and let them know what the salesman said about their product and the tactics used. Should I call HP and let them know or shouldn't I?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Do it.

HP LOooooves to hear stuff like this. And I'm Best Buy will Love hearing from HP. ...eventually
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'm not sure how much \"debate\" there is to this topic. Can't we all agree that most Best Buy employees, whether from ignorance or malice, are some of the most clueless out there? Sure, every now and then, you actually get one that knows what he/she is talking about - but most of the time, they have no clue. XD
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I'm sure you know my answer to this. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it takes me a whole day to setup a computer from scratch. the girl, not being computer literate, has probabaly mixed up in her head \"reinstall windows\" (and everything ontop of that) with \"make a windows recovery disk\" which is probabaly what BestBuy told her would take 8 hours.

i doubt bestbuy's at fault here. girl is just computer illiterate, don't trust her
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Laptop was brand new out of the box Roid, no setting up was done at all. (You work at Best Buy?) And they told her it would take 8 hours and $140.00 to make RECOVERY DISCS. I charged her $1.00 for the DVD-R's, clicked on \"make recovery discs\", and watched satellite for an hour and a half while it did its thing.
She told me they were also hard selling applications to her like crazy. She isn't a computer guru but she has horse sense and felt that the salesman was full of bull. Reminds me of the time a couple moved in next door to me and while visiting they complained that their new computer had a slow mouse pointer. The wife exclaimed, \"Oh no another $110.00 to get that fixed!\". I asked what she was talking about and they replied that the salesman charged them $110.00 to \"fix\" the mouse pointer speed. I showed them control panel < Mouse < Pointer Speed. He blew a gasket and if they hadn't have moved over a thousand miles from the Town they bought the computer from, I'm sure he would have gone back to the store to tune in the salesman. I cant believe how some people get off on taking advantage of others. I think I'll get the details of the Best Buy store that pulled the recovery disc scam and have HP tear them a new one. I had a salesperson at another store tell one of my Clients who purchased a router there that they would come to their home and set it up for $150.00. When they responded that I would do it they told them that I wasn't \"authorized\" to set up that router and I wasn't technically competent and probably wouldn't be able to do it properly. I called up the Store and talked to the Owner and told them to shut their pie holes and that if I ever heard one more negative word from them, I would sue them for slander and notify the local news-team \"consumer watchdog\" show. Also I told the Owner I may show up one day in his store to \"shop\" and pointed out he wouldn't have a clue what I looked like but that I could very easily identify him.

Crooks.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

give em hell dude.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, Go for it Canuck. They deserve it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Best buy.

funny.

they told my friend. a decade ago, to fix a simple problem on his tandy by using format c:
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Well I fired off an email. See if I get a response.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

hahahah

This is almost as good as the P-P-P-Powerbook scam. :D You might want to submit this story to Digg, or some of the other popular sites (Something Awful, Fark, etc). If nothing happens after that, nothing will. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

If I was a computer repair guy, I'd charge 'em the $100.00 bucks to fix the mouse pointer - but I'd also show them how to do it themselves next time so they wouldn't need to come to me with that again.

The Best-Buy stuff is pretty typical for retail chain store behavior. Sort of like how they sell only premium cables - costing upwards of $50.00 each - and a typical home theater setup needs several hundred dollars worth of cabling. Or you can go to www.sfcable.com and get the cables which work equally well for $30.00 TOTAL. My personal favorite in that deceptive market is the optical cable I saw at Best Buy for $79.99 - it has gold-plated connectors. THAT REALLY HELPS!!!! ;)

Sadly people are stupid and this crap is how these places stay in business - and it is also the root of their low prices so we should bless the stupid people else we'd never get a good deal :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I had a friend once who bought a router and had it set up at her place. So she calls me up and tells me about some random happenings with her internet thats typically associated with a router needing a reset. So I told her its an easy fix and that you need to reset it every once in a while. Best Buy's 'Geek Squad' told her not to reset the router because they will loose all of their information, and if anything was to happen they should call them. I told her BS. She went ahead and did the reset and boom, problem fixed.

Give em hell, because if you dont speak up, this will continue.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Wop wrote:I had a friend once who bought a router and had it set up at her place. So she calls me up and tells me about some random happenings with her internet thats typically associated with a router needing a reset. So I told her its an easy fix and that you need to reset it every once in a while. Best Buy's 'Geek Squad' told her not to reset the router because they will loose all of their information, and if anything was to happen they should call them. I told her BS. She went ahead and did the reset and boom, problem fixed.

Give em hell, because if you dont speak up, this will continue.
Actually, this time they were right. What you're talking about is a 'power cycle'. Totally different from a actual reset, which is resetting the router back to "factory" defaults. You're getting your terminology mixed up. :)
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Hmm all strangely quiet on the email front... interesting.
It is a big machine though.... grind, crunch.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Canuck wrote:Hmm all strangely quiet on the email front... interesting.
your email was filed under "customers lol", it will be autodeleted
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Along this line, I was at Circuit City one time several years ago waiting to talk to the customer service people and this dude is ahead of me getting a memory upgrade for his DESKTOP. They tell him the price of the memory chip and then proceed to tell him \"Yeah, to install the memory chip will cost you $70 in labor.\" WTF!!!!!! My face actually twitched when I heard it and I actually said out loud that it was BS heh. The Circuit City dude was not happy...... I mean, a memory chip, from the time you think about installing it, might take 3 minutes, and that includes finding the screwdriver to unscrew the one case screw if there is one......
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

roid wrote:
Canuck wrote:Hmm all strangely quiet on the email front... interesting.
your email was filed under "customers lol", it will be autodeleted
OMG ROFL < TOO TRUE!

Nero is famous for this. I got them to answer when I pointed out to their Legal Department they didn't have a working Canadian Telephone number or an office for me to complain to, something that is a no no in the Canadian Corporate World. Also I emailed them a link to a CBC show called Marketplace and they had a front page that said, "Being ignored by a large Corporate Entity? We Want to Know". Complete with a big red hyperlink to a form to fill out your complaints. I guess Nero didn't want to show up on TV so Wham new fixes were out for Nero 7 in 4 days and I got emails back from 5 different people. Classic. Oh and I figured out the fix before they did.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Hostile;
These salestards are giving real Technicians a bad name. These guys get the spliff, (cut of the sales) so the higher sales day they make it the better their paycheck. They don't care or get off on stealing from people. You should have said, \"$70.00! I'll do that for a meal at <insert nice steakhouse here> and beer.\" Which would most likely work out at $40.00 for buddy. Or ask them if its OK to demonstrate to them how the memory goes in and if $70.00 seems right for that, (while inserting memory in front of salestard).

I usually give them my card and cut their fee in half, $25-$35 is perfectly fair for a memory install.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yea speaking of salestards...

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

That video sucks. It's scaremongering, really. I understand that suggesting you buy a new computer is completely out of line, but obviously they were working on a new Dell machine. Dell's BIOS does NOT emit POST status beeps. Therefore, it's impossible to diagnose between motherboard failure, RAM failure, and video card failure without testing these components individually, which is hard to do in someone's home.

Secondly, the way they scoff at people who said \"you have a virus\" regarding the corrupt Windows files pisses me off. What's the number one reason for corrupt system files on Windows machines?! And they did fix the issue.

It's very apparent that a) the producer of the spot knows nothing about computer repair, and b) even if she does, intentionally worded the piece to replace the actual findings (most repairmen fixed the problem) with the ones she wanted to show (repair companies intentionally gave me the wrong diagnosis). Did you notice that they originally said they tried ten repairmen? How many did they actually show?

Nothing like twisting the facts to paint the picture you want.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to mention that they didn't list the names of the companies that got it right. I'd like to see a more impartial video.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

The $2,000.00 guy looked over the case like he was looking at a dead horse. Phhht... looking at and re-installing the memory is one of the first things to do. If the memory was inspected they actually showed a black burnt out spot on the module.

P.S.
No word at all from the Corporate Giants of the Computer Industry, Harumph, Harumph.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

DCrazy wrote:That video sucks. It's scaremongering, really. I understand that suggesting you buy a new computer is completely out of line, but obviously they were working on a new Dell machine. Dell's BIOS does NOT emit POST status beeps. Therefore, it's impossible to diagnose between motherboard failure, RAM failure, and video card failure without testing these components individually, which is hard to do in someone's home.
Of course these techies, not knowing a dell from a hole in the wall, try to exploit those who just need a computer fix.

Scaremongering? more like exposing frauds for what they are.

MD: I think the reason why they didn't mention the companies that got it right was to make sure no misunderstanding took place. Ya know.. so no one launches a suit against CBC saying 'WTF? you lumped us in with the bad guys!"
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ferno: they don't show all the techs, and half the ones they do show give a good first-impression diagnosis.

There's no indication at all of any amount of time spent on any individual machine. And, unlike the producer's desired viewership, those of us who know something about PCs know that a bad mobo, bad video card, or bad RAM will all cause a PC to refuse to boot.

Oh, by the way... when was the last time you had a RAM chip die while in operation? Versus the last time you've had a mobo or video card die? I've never actually had RAM die for any reason while installed in a PC; any bad RAM I've ever had has always been DOA.

In short, the piece was designed to infuriate, intimidate, and otherwise attract non-technologically-inclined viewers. Standard yellow journalism.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Ferno wrote:MD: I think the reason why they didn't mention the companies that got it right was to make sure no misunderstanding took place. Ya know.. so no one launches a suit against CBC saying 'WTF? you lumped us in with the bad guys!"
.....how could think that when they could have done that directly after mentioning the three people that got it right? Seriously, that piece sounded like "they're all out to screw you" rather than "They're here to help you, but you should beef up on your knowledge so you won't get screwed by the scammers." That piece's sole purpose is to intimidate those that don't know any better.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

\"There's no indication at all of any amount of time spent on any individual machine. And, unlike the producer's desired viewership, those of us who know something about PCs know that a bad mobo, bad video card, or bad RAM will all cause a PC to refuse to boot.\"

Of course we know a thing or two about computers, but try and view it from the joe sixpack point. Buddy doesn't know squat about computers and probably recently got over his fear of them. Something in the machine just up and dies and he freaks out that he did something wrong. So he opens up the yellow pages and points to the first available tech company.

Since he doesn't know any difference, the salestech (as I like to call them) will try just about anything to make a buck off this poor guy.

\"That piece's sole purpose is to intimidate those that don't know any better.\"

only those who don't listen well. :)

to me it says: pick your companies carefully.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Ferno wrote: Something in the machine just up and dies and he freaks out that he did something wrong. ..
exactly what my daughter's system did. It would boot, load windows and crash after a bit. ...hard. after a while, it wouldn't even load windows. At first I thought it was a virus, but reading the error it was giving, it looked like there were only a few select VITAL files that crashed and no further damage was being done. So I ran on a sweep on the ram. Bingo, one whole stick had caved.

I figure that most stores would have told her that her HD was bad and needed replacing. As it is, I'm going to reformat that critter and do a fresh install. (always good for the soul) But Ferno is right: choose your companies carefully. The amount of tech horror stories are swiftly overtaking home remodeling contractor horror stories. :P
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

So HP doesn't give a flock about Best Buy's Sales ethics. Maybe we should sick that CBC reporter and the dude from the University on them. Or :idea: I'll email their legal department a link to that piece. What am I thinking... that means the Corporations have to have morals for that to work :roll:

I feel insulted when people treat me like I'm going to rip them off, but after seeing some of these \"techs\" in action I can understand why.

I'm all for tech certification to weed out all the knobs but that doesn't mean it will stop the rip-off artists. Just have certified ones.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

DCrazy
Oh, by the way... when was the last time you had a RAM chip die while in operation? Versus the last time you've had a mobo or video card die? I've never actually had RAM die for any reason while installed in a PC; any bad RAM I've ever had has always been DOA.

I've had it happen to me and loads of other customers. Some of it Samsung and Kingston no less. Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it never happens to anyone.

Ask anyone who does a certain volume of hardware purchases or runs a shop as I do and there will be cycles of bad parts at times.

And not just memory, hard drives and caps. I once had a run of expensive transistors and voltage regulators fail because of counterfeit parts. Someone had taken 50¢ transistors and stamped them with the markings of a $28.00 transistor thats used in Sony TV's. Needless to say the 50¢ transistors weren't the same as their more expensive counterparts. About six months worth of repairs came back to me over failed counterfeit parts about 4 years ago. My supplier just shrugged his shoulders and went, \"Sorry we got fooled too\". I repaired failed units two years later at no charge because I knew that the parts that were sold to me were the issue and that ethically I am responsible for putting those inferior parts in even if I didn't know that they were counterfeits at the time.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Having done heavy volume before (Archdiocese of Brooklyn), I know RAM fails. But in my own experience, and I'm sure yours as well, as you mention it, other parts are much more likely to fail. Caps were a huge problem for a long time, blowing out mobos and video cards left and right.

I never said that RAM is indestructible, but it has a much longer MTBF than hard drives, video cards, and motherboards.

Ferno: my point is that the Joe Sixpack who this piece is aimed at will get the intended message: computer repairmen will rip you off. Just like plumbers, electricians, and pretty much any other trade. After all, it's common knowledge dontcha know!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yea i know what your point was. :)

and mine was Joe Sixpack better be smart enough to do his research.