Unreal Tournament 3 Demo is out.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Unreal Tournament 3 Demo is out.

Post by Duper »

Linky

It weighs in at 743 megs. The link is to fileplanet and only because that's where UT links it there. They are not hosting their own d/l..obviously. So..

I've played it a bit and and I have to say,it's sweet. Red Omen on Kali mentioned that he had read it sucked because it had been posted with low res textures. ..if these are low res then omg. Here are a few of screeies. I WILL mention that they aren't quite as good as in the game for some reason. There seems to have been some compression I paisted the screenshots. (There is no screenshot function as of yet) You have to hit print screen, jump out (alt-tab works great btw) and paste it to your favorite graphic program. These were all saved as TGA's and 1400x1050 at 4+ megs each so I compressed them to jpgs.

As you may be able to see. I was running between 33 and 15 FPS. This was all cranked up and I'm running:

Athlon64 3500+ (2.21Ghz)
EVGA Nvidia 7600GT
2 Gigs ram
XP Pro
2 Maxtor ATA HD
MB:Asus A8N-E
sound:SB Live 5.1

These are JUST over the minimum requirements. With a dual or quad core, this would run like silk.

The video drivers are one version behind, but with this demo just coming out, I'm thinking there might be a beta driver out later this week. That might give me a couple more FPS.

The game also supports OpenAL and Hardware physics, but doesn't \"required\" like GRAW does. (nice move on their part)

If you have an occasional sweet tooth for a fast moving ground pounder then I highly recommend giving this a go. This seems to have the feel of the original series with all the eyecandy. also, the music is wonderful. They have the original theme music back only in a much richer rendering. Made the first music sound like a midi.

The netcode seems to have been fixed too. Not that laggy on my end, but then I looked for servers with under 100 pings. You will need a setup an on-line profile with is easy. You stay right in game and no jumping out to a browser. This is NOT a gamespy account if you have one. It's unique to the game.
That being said, you do not need to log in to play off line as that seems to becoming vogue these days. :roll:

I ran with OpenAL on my Live 5.1 and it worked great. In fact I think I got a few frames out of it. OAL will only render up to 5.1 sound in this game, so if you have a better card (and I hope you do) stay with that. Using OAL,however, didn't seem to change the sound quality one way or the other.

Now, stop READING and go PLAY this beast!

:twisted:
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Pally has been begging me to play this game for 3 years so I guess I might try this iteration.... :)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Yeah, I got it the day it came out :)

I get 33-34 FPS at maximum with 2.20 Dual Core, 7900GS, and 2GB RAM. It is freaking fun! I LOVE feign death and I am glad they brought that back (hit F, wait for someone to come by, BAM!).

I hate logging into gamespy, ugh, but still very fun. I also love the new Stinger, its my favorite weapon! Hopefully I can get a graphics card and CPU upgrade before it comes out!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yes, they are low-res Duper - to keep the download size down. And I agree, they were plenty as far as I was concerned too.

My machine (A64 3200+, GF6600GT 256MB, 1GB D/C DDR400) kind of chokes on the game at 1280 (native LCD resolution), but it seems to work quite respectably in an 800x600 window, even at maximum detail. So I play it with that... heh.

Only niggling thing I spotted is that the reflections in the water in Shangri La aren't actually reflections, they're windows into some bizarre building-like texture. But whatever, the graphics are still pretty spectacular.

Weapons are great - reminds me of old-school Unreal (Stinger!), and there really doesn't seem to be anything really underpowered (well, the bio rifle maybe, but I suspect there's just a trick to it).

Favourite part would be the Raptor VTOL - it has so many similarities to a Pyro-GX in handling it isn't even funny. It has a lot more drag, of course, but it has the same strafing controls you've grown used to...
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

How do you D/L this if you don't have a lame FP subscription?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re:

Post by Richard Cranium »

JMEaT wrote:How do you D/L this if you don't have a lame FP subscription?
Get Duper to email it to you. :D
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

I got it - It looks awesome! I get a solid 30 FPS - I never noticed a drop from that but I did see occasional forays into the mid 30's

My Rig:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
1 ghz RAM
MSI Neo 2 Platinum Mobo
Radeon X1650 (512 MB)
Onboard Realtek AC97 Sound(heh)
JMEaT wrote:How do you D/L this if you don't have a lame FP subscription?
Use the FREE Fileplanet servers? Just need a FREE login...available for FREE...without a subscription.

Alternatively you could take your chances with bittorrent. I got mine that way, because FP wanted me to wait for 45 minutes in their queue...and then I'd only get a measly 100 kbps. (Which would mean more like 3 hours before I got the file if you include the wait).
Sendokami
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sendokami »

iv also played it. thanks to Dakatsu. it's hella fun. i love the hover bord and the fact you can ride tanks and the such with it. cant wait till it comes out.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

use the torrents.

it also sucks. its a just a lame generic quake3 clone.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Going by your logic, we could say that Quake 3 was just a clone of Duke Nukem, which was a clone of System Shock, which was a clone of Quake 2, which was a clone of Turok, which was a clone of Quake 1, which was a clone of Duke Nukem 3D, which was a clone of Doom....

Prolly got all that mixed up but you get the idea.

Looks more intriguing thus far than Halo 3, which IMO was a flop. I was really expecting a lot more for so much hype.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Going by your logic, we could say that ... which was a clone of Doom....
You forgot Wolfenstein 3D which preceeded Doom, and arguably popularized the FPS genre. You youngsters... sheesh.
fliptw wrote:it also sucks. its a just a lame generic quake3 clone.
Disagree! But there's no accounting for taste.

IMHO the UT series is superior most of the others. For starters, there is a complex movement system (similar (in that it's a bit esoteric) to chording in the Descent Series) which greatly enhances gameplay. I also really enjoy the weapon mechanics, alt-fires and combos. And it's always just fckn worked. Unreal Tournament (the original) played just fine on my piece-of-crap good-for-nothing AMD K6-2 400 MHZ system... which only got like 20 FPS in Descent 3.

Perhaps you haven't given the game a chance - which is fine. Ground pounders suck. Get back in the mines - I need more victims. Or challenges... Preferably the latter, to be honest!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

This beta demo doesn't deserve to be called an unreal tournament game.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

fliptw wrote:This beta demo doesn't deserve to be called an unreal tournament game.
lol.. I never took you as a fanboy Flip.

It's just a game. I found it entertaining. AND it's FREE.

(it's Shiny too!) ^_^
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The only reason I care about UT3 is because of modding potential, to be honest.

And from that perspective, it looks awesome.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I can only handle so much ground-pounding before I have to get back to D3 (PM me sometime, Bun, I'll play you 1v1 anytime).

That said, I'll probably enjoy this demo, at least for a little while. :wink:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I took the demo out for a spin tonight and I can say that it is very pretty and very shiny. But, I just don't know if it is worth it to me yet.

Graphics:

Everything is shiny! I find the smooth flow of UT2004 to look much more interesting somehow. Not just muddy, shiny textures. It's pretty but not pretty at the same time. It does, however look a lot more realistic but I just don't like it as well yet.

Vehicles:

What the heck happened here? The only vehicle that I can recognize is the tank and the hovercraft. The scorpion functions totally different. The grenade launcher is a bit more handy though. The Bender is totally screwed up. No longer is it a team effort to drive a Bender... or really any vehicle in the game anymore. The bender was my wildcard in UT2004. Now you can drive it and fire both guns just by entering the vehicle and it just isn't as powerful somehow. Not only this, but you can destroy it almost faster than any other vehicle in the game. It doesn't even look much like a truck anymore. The maps also seem smaller.

Weapons:

Now this is off as usual for Unreal Tournament games. The sniper rifle now shows a beam behind the projectile, completely removing the entire point of the sniper rifle. You also have to fire it twice to kill a target almost every single time. The rocket launcher seems to lock onto targets much faster and the Avril is really hard to find and really difficult to use, making Raptors far more dangerous.

Other than that, it plays and feels like UT2004. I hope the full game is a lot more impressive. I'm also hoping for modding tools, which is the main reason I'm even interested in this game anyway. :)

My questions are:

1. What will the scripting system be like?

2. Will they allow us to use Maya PLE with it like with previous UT games.

3. Will there be any ships/fighters that can roll/flip all the way over so that a 6 degrees of freedom mod could be produced?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Sniper rifle will one-shot kill if you land a headshot. Other than that, yeah, takes two hits.

It's probably better that way though...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:3. Will there be any ships/fighters that can roll/flip all the way over so that a 6 degrees of freedom mod could be produced?
If I produce my UT3 untitled mod, at least the Skorpshjuze Army can use a ship with 6dof qualities. There will, however, be ground vehicles, infantry, and regular aircraft, so it won't be just 6dof.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Played this a bit last night... I enjoyed it!

The gameplay is pretty similar to UT2004, and I agree that the vehicle changes they made are crappy, but I thoroughly loved the graphics... it looks gorgeous, and it ran quite smoothly on my machine (P4 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, ATI x850 1280x1024 AAx4 ASx4).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

never cared much for Ut 2003 or 04, so the whole vehicle thing to me is moot. It makes the game a bit too much like Tribes; which I never really cared for either.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

open your console and have fun with these:
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_cicada_content
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_fury_content
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_paladin
summon utgamecontent.utvehicle_nemesis
summon utgamecontent.utslowvolume_content

:)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:1. What will the scripting system be like?
Unreal Engine 3 preserves the same basic UnrealScript structure as the previous engines. In terms of the level scripting, Kismet is an odd beast. While it is marginally easier to follow than a text file, two years later I'm still not convinced that the visual nature of Kismet doesn't just get in the way more than it helps.
[]V[]essenjah wrote:2. Will they allow us to use Maya PLE with it like with previous UT games.
For a time, Epic was trying to push the COLLADA format. But, like most other universal formats (*cough* OpenDocument *cough*), COLLADA largely failed to catch on in the 3D market and has degraded into "yet another format we have to worry about." Epic still has support for ActorX, so this part is largely unchanged.
[]V[]essenjah wrote:3. Will there be any ships/fighters that can roll/flip all the way over so that a 6 degrees of freedom mod could be produced?
Speaking from the standpoint of our game, our engineers shuddered at the notion of one of our flying vehicles being able to move upside-down. Certainly not saying it isn't possible, but to use a mantra Epic loves, if Epic isn't doing it somewhere, don't expect code in the engine to support it.

Oh, Unreal Tournament 3? You mean Gears of Unreal? Pointless. Why would I give up the instantaneous loading of UT2004 for a game that plays at best exactly the same, but runs far worse? :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmm.... that is the thing. UT2004 at least had one vehicle that you could fly upside down and roll all the way around in.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

How about somebody pitch in and post some damn mirrors so some of us dont have to wait an hour to download from FileTurd. kthnxbye
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

engage the TORRENTS PEOPLE.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Hmmm.... that is the thing. UT2004 at least had one vehicle that you could fly upside down and roll all the way around in.

Not when I played it it didn't.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Space level, Assault. It was the huge space battle on the station where you fly a bunch of fighters. I could barrel roll and flip upside down in there.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Hmm.... I don't recall that. If it's in the engine though - whoohoo :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Wop »

fliptw wrote:engage the TORRENTS PEOPLE.
UNIVERSITY FIREWALL.

Mirrors plz?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

On Thu Oct 18, 2007 at 1:19 AM, Top Wop wrote:How about somebody pitch in and post some damn mirrors so some of us dont have to wait an hour to download from FileTurd. kthnxbye
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 at 12:59 PM, Top Wop wrote:UNIVERSITY FIREWALL.

Mirrors plz?
I'd think you'd have had it if you started downloading it 12 hours ago when you first posted.

Suggestion: Use torrent encryption and an unfiltered port! Maybe 8080 :) Of course, if the torrent sites are also filtered you might be out of luck. Try here:
http://209.44.123.21/files/details/1382328/6201776/

good luck :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Here Top

I'm not sure this will be much better in the way or d/l time. It only took me an hour off of FP with waiting and all.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yeah, I started it at about 11:00PM mountain time. I had to wait about 25 minutes in the FilePlanet queue, but once the download started I averaged about 900Kb/s, so the whole download didn't take too long at all.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Downloaded and installed. :D
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

This game rocks :O
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Thank you for the links! ...and the tips, I can finally get torrents over my university link now!

I refuse to download from 'get in line' type websites out of principle.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

understood and you're welcome. : )

Kinda odd though, usually Mega is normally right on top of something like this. It took a couple of days for them to get this up. I imagine they had to get clearance from ..whoever makes this game (I'm suffering a brain cramp right now)to post a download of it.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:understood and you're welcome. : )

Kinda odd though, usually Mega is normally right on top of something like this. It took a couple of days for them to get this up. I imagine they had to get clearance from ..whoever makes this game (I'm suffering a brain cramp right now)to post a download of it.
They had to get clearance from Midway, Epic Games publisher.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Runs between 25-40 FPS at 1280x1024 full detail on my:

Intel C2D E6600
PCIe GF 7950 GT
2GB RAM
NF 650i mobo

Very fun, I even flew outside the level on the china themed level and was on top of the large mountain.... LOL
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

JMEaT wrote:Runs between 25-40 FPS at 1280x1024 full detail on my:

Intel C2D E6600
PCIe GF 7950 GT
2GB RAM
NF 650i mobo

Very fun, I even flew outside the level on the china themed level and was on top of the large mountain.... LOL
I can vouch for that statement!

Another interesting tidbit:

They actually made this game mostly for PC's but they also support consoles... but the PC version is out first it sounds like!

Apparently, you will be able to bake mods you create for UT3 so that they will also function on the 360 and PS3! But all mods and levels will have to be created on the PC version. Finally, someone gets it right!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:the PC version is out first it sounds like!

Apparently, you will be able to bake mods you create for UT3 so that they will also function on the 360 and PS3! But all mods and levels will have to be created on the PC version. Finally, someone gets it right!

i think these 2 statements are directly related. They may wish to let the market seed itself with mods for a while before releasing it for the consoles. Coz only PCs can make the mods.