Router Security

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Router Security

Post by FireFox »

I’ve recently upgraded my internet connection from dial up to ADSL and I’ve got an Billion BiPAC 7401V(G)P router with the deal. The 101 thing that did is to change the default admin password to access the router. It would seem that I can’t change the default account name itself thou.

So I’m in need of a crash course of sorts in securing my Router! The WiFi has a “unique” WEP key according to the little manual that came with it but yah that’s not gonna stay default. Thinking of replacing it with a unique WPA2 key of my own :P

Any other suggestions on what I need to change and activate (disabling SSID, enabling the built in firewall, denying ping requests, eg.?) on the router would be appreciated because this is my first time using a router so I’m a bit of a n00b. I don’t have an absolute need to leave the WiFi enabled at this time but I might find the need to connect to the router via WiFi every now and then so I just want to basically secure it for those occasions.

Thanks in advance
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i dont think you can change the admin username and im not seeing anything that says you can.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You've started off with a good list. One other thing is if you run services (like FTP etc) try not to use the default ports.
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Use WPA2, the setup is so simple there really isn't an excuse not to. Also, if you have problems connecting to the wireless from your computer using the program that came with your wireless adapter to manage the connection, try uninstalling the program and using the built in Windows wireless zero configuration. I've found the programs that come with various wireless adapters from netgear or asus to be far more complicated and awkward then is really necessary.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Enabling or Disabling the SSID doesn't do a thing towards security. If the traffic is being broadcast, anyone will still see your network regardless. Turn on WPA2, and put in a decent sized password for the key. (I'm talking more than like 4 or 5 characters here.) WEP is nothing more than a joke as far as security is concerned. Any kid with a CD-R and a burner will be able to download a distro of linux and crack your WEP key in a very short amount of time.

Quite frankly, unless you're going to be using the wireless, turn it off until you actually HAVE a need for it.