(Solved) Error message

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

(Solved) Error message

Post by thewolfe »

This happens probably every day on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.

Have changed the wireless router.

Any ideas?

http://www.dougsstuff.com/message_1.bmp
(Pic must be too large)

\"Dell wireless WLAN card wireless network controller stopped working and was closed\"
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

updated drivers?
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Did that? Does that sound like what the message is about?
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

It can be that, commonly it can be that. Also, does this happen randomly? or when your doing a certain thing? Have you cleared out the startup items, also is windows managing the wireless? or is the dell wireless utility managing it?
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Updated her WLAN driver. The driver is actually what looks to be an older one than the one she has but it's for the her specific card and the only one Dell has.

Don't know where to look for who's managing her wireless.

I'll wait for a day and see if she get's the same message because she says it happens every day when she starts the computer.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Looks like phpBB doesn't understand that *.bmp is an image too, I changed the image tag to a url tag in your post so it should work better.

A bad driver/wireless management program would definitely be high on my list of things to check with that type of error message.

As for what is managing the wireless, the program you use to search for and connect to a wireless network is what he means by \"manages the wireless network\". But that error message pretty much gives it away that its the dell wireless utility rather than the one built into windows.

If the error persists even after the driver update, you may want to switch to just the bare hardware driver and let windows manage the connectivity. I usually recommend doing that because Microsoft is better than the manufacturers for keeping on top of properly updating and maintaining security of their wireless utility thats built into windows (as it is automatically updated from windows update when necessary).
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I agree with Krom. Besides, about 95% of the time that approach has worked for me with usually better results than using the manager's utility.

Dump the manufacturer's utility and let Windows handle it itself.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

TechPro wrote:I agree with Krom. Besides, about 95% of the time that approach has worked for me with usually better results than using the manager's utility.

Dump the manufacturer's utility and let Windows handle it itself.
x2. Windows's utility is often better than what comes with the driver, be it Intel, Dell, or otherwise.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Hey Krom,

The error message didn't show up today so the new driver may have done the trick.

But on the pic insert topic (Show on post).

To post picture max 19.5kb
[img]URL%20to%20picture[/img] Is this correct? What extensions can be used for the pics?

Still can't see my pic in this post so not sure what you did or what I'm to do.

Thanks, as always,

Thewolfe
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

gif and jpeg images work, I'm pretty sure png images work too. All of which are preferable to bmp images anyway because they are compressed.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Cool, thanks!
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

No more error message, all is well.