Win2K Server install

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Win2K Server install

Post by Foil »

I recently acquired an older Dell PowerEdge 600SC (2.8GHz, 80Gb RAIDed drives, so it's a decent server box for little stuff) with a valid Win2K Server key on the side of the box.

Anyway, I ran a standard Win2K Server (SP4) install, but it tells me the key is invalid. I'm assuming this is because the license is some Dell OEM variant.

The problem is, I can't seem to find the Dell OEM Win2K Server install disk/image anywhere. Any suggestions on where I might be able to find it? (FYI, I'm a bit wary of images found on torrents.) Or, alternately, how I might be able to get the standard Win2K Server installer to recognize the Dell key?

[Yeah, I know, I can do Ubuntu Server. I'll probably end up dual-booting this box, but for various reasons, I'd like to get a legit Win-based server install up and running as well.]
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You need to find the version of that Win2K server for that key to work. You need the same verison CD.

ie: Win XP Pro key won't work on WinXP Home.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The 'version' is Win2K Server. That's what the key is for, and that's the install I'm using.

That's why I'm assuming the difference has to be some Dell proprietary thing.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Correct, its likely a W2K sever OEM key and odds are you have a retail disk or some other variant. Probably the safest bet would be to go looking for a disk image of a W2K server CD from a dell.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yeah, the disk I'm using is the retail Win2K Server. I contacted Dell, but they said they no longer have the Dell Win2K Server disks available. (What's annoying is that the Dell guy told me the retail disk would work.)

Any suggestions on other places I could find that disk, or disk image? (I've seen a couple links to torrents claiming to have the iso, but I'd like to stay away from those if I can.)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah I can agree finding the iso on a torrent can be annoying since half of them are going to be cracked/pirated versions and or loaded with spyware/viruses. You might try asking stresstest on .com if he has one. Otherwise its probably time to pull on your biohazard suit and find a clean torrent for the disk image.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

It's a shame that it has to be win2k server. I have a copy of win2k pro laying around collecting dust....
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Let me look around in a few of my boxes (just got done moving) and see if I can find my Dell W2k cd cause I got a PE 2400 server
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

That would be awesome, Warlock. No hurry, though; I know how crazy moving can be, and I can wait.

I'll check with Stress, too. Thanks, Krom.

[Edit: Just re-read your post, Snoopy. 2K Pro would be great, but the key is for 2K Server.]
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

It doesn't matter what Type of OEM (except compaq/hp/toshiba branded discs) disc you use. I'll take a look at my Field tech Discs also

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Interesting. I thought it had to be Dell-specific.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

The Win XP and Server 2003 discs are key and manufacturer specific. OEM is OEM, and even those are tied to the manufacturer: Dell to Dell, HP to HP, and so on. I hate it because I can't use any OEM CD on any OEM key. Retail is tied to retail obviously and there's no getting around that.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I dont know what you have been installing on but unfortunately Zantor you have bad media..

Only OEM XP Installs you should have issues with is Toshiba and Compaq OEM...XP HOME EDITION... and all that means is you are using a standard OEM install disk(not their brand) and you have to call in the activation.. after telling them 5 characters of the pre-activation number they are already telling you the key to enter it was identified by the mfg code at the beginning

Dell Install CD's check for Dell motherboard if it detects one it BYPASSES Activation. Otherwise it goes into activation mode after Install. Dell OEM disc contain nothing other than the O/S and a DELL Folder for the Secondary Driver Disk Input and 3rd Application Disk. Other than Standard System OEM Direct From Microsoft... OEM O/S Discs from any other MFG except DELL/Alienware/Falcon-nw/Gateway MFG should not/can not be used on any other system. Standard OEM Discs are what System Builders and Service Technicians use. We Use DELL OEMS on DELL's so we do not have to manually alter the key after install... even though we still do out of courtesy

Vista Downgrades are accomplished with XP spk2 until drivers are installed

School kids and downloads.. giving advice....

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Welp, w/ XP you can change things around. Not sure what MS did for 2k tho.
ImageImage