The future of mobile UI?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

The future of mobile UI?

Post by Isaac »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... uting.aspx

Like his other gadgets (shown at the intro) I think this device is too good to be true. I'm sure it functions but it probably has a decade to go before it's as reliable as todays smartphone. However I hope this leads to better UI for normal computers. It would really be handy to use \"gestures\" for the linux entertainment system, I already have. Or in a meeting when we use the projector. So we don't have to pass the mouse and keyboard around the table. But I wish it would simply recognize my hand movements instead of relying on colored fingertips.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I recall reading about this guy in PopSci a couple months ago...

Personally, I don't care for it. A few of the features are nice, but alot of it is just showing off. Dialing a phone number on your hand? Projecting your google maps on the wall? Ok so that means I have to go find a flat wall or object, and project it on it. And I have to hold still, I can't walk at the same time.

Half the features in there aren't even realistic right now. You can't check your current credit card balance, or something like that, without it knowing your credentials. The entire thing with copying text from books onto his computer... OCR has never been that fast. If it's just taking a picture and slapping it on there, then it is even more useless.

I think in his attempt to make digital feel more natural, he's made it more primitive at the same time.

What I would like to see is something like an iPhone that can scan things as well, and has some gesture sensing ability for use in things like meetings.

But think about this too: there is a good reason we use mice/keyboards. I know if I talked all day, my voice would get tired. If I wrote with my hand all day, my hand would get tired. If I had to hold my hands up in the air all day doing gestures, my arms would get tired. Now grant it, having the ability to do that once in a while would be great, but not as a new standard. I like my mouse and keyboard, thank you very much.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

If I saw that guy walking around with that crap on, I'd yank if off his chest and crush it underfoot.

It's bad enough with morons playing with their tweeting iPhones while driving.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Thenior wrote:alot of it is just showing off
Of course. It's exploratory. He's just trying to figure out what can be done. Some of the things are dorky or stupid or not really that useful, but some of them are really interesting.
Ok so that means I have to go find a flat wall or object... And I have to hold still
There was a whole section of the video about holding a piece of paper in front of you to do computing. He was walking around for it.
You can't check your current credit card balance... without it knowing your credentials... OCR has never been that fast.
Punch in a PIN to get your balance? Grab the text and then let the OCR software run while you get some coffee?
If I wrote with my hand all day, my hand would get tired..... I like my mouse and keyboard, thank you very much.
My first 2 computers didn't have mice. They were keyboard-only. I used this same argument against the mouse -- "If I have to jerk this thing all over the desk, my hand will get tired." Turns out the mouse isn't all that bad.

And, again, did you notice the section of the video about how you could sync work from the projector to the PC? Sure, if you're standing there projecting onto a wall and waving your hands madly for 12 hours a day, you'll get tired, but it's not a bad bit of technology to have available...
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I think alot of the ideas are cool, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it was executed well.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

please don't let this catch on in public, i'm already annoyed enough with ad LCDs in public transport.