Win 7 - Bluescreen and reboot

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Win 7 - Bluescreen and reboot

Post by Duper »

First things first:

SYSTEM:
mobo: Intel DH55HC
CPU: Intel i3 540 (3.07GHz)
VID: XFX ATI HD5770 (drv rev 8.702.0.0)
M: 4 Gig OCZ DDR3 1333
Sound: SB X-Fi XtremeGamer (SB073A)
IE 8 / Opera 10.10 / FF 3.6
Dx 11

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/21/2010, 13:19:11
Machine name: ******
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DH55HC__
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/09 11:58:43 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3958MB RAM
Page File: 1188MB used, 6723MB available
Windows Dir: C:\\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

(new box)

Ok, shortly after startup from a Shutdown (this does not happen after a restart) My screen scrambles, the box freezes; goes to a blue screen mem dump, and then reboots.
All about 2 minutes into logging in. (plus or minus)
After restart, it's fine.

I've done a clean reinstall of the video drivers (drivers only; no fluff)
I've ran a memory scan (memcheck86) and it came up clean.
Ran the standard maintenance things...
I guess I should uninstall vid drivers completely and run without them to see if it crashes and then do the same with the sound drivers.

I post not to get ya'll to do my research on the Net. PLEASE DON'T.
I haven't found anything conclusive yet and still looking other than it is happening to others. I post to ask if you have already read anything on the matter and if you have any ideas.
I'll be out a couple of days on vacation for my wife's and I's 20th. Cya Wednesday! (or a bit later today. ;))

Thanks all!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

try leaving the soundblaster out and see what happens.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Have you looked in the system event log yet?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, I uninstalled the Creative drivers and junk software. I left OpenAL and ALchemy installed and so far no crash!

Once again, it's Creative.... :roll: ...thus far it seems so....
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

try this: put the SB back in, and either set the sound scheme to \"no Sounds\" or clear out the log-in/startup sound.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

TechPro wrote:Have you looked in the system event log yet?
Tech, where are they hiding this in W7 now?

Will do Flip. (when I get home)

thx!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Easiest way to get to event viewer that works in every version of windows since NT4: run (Windows key + R) ---> eventvwr.msc

Otherwise in Windows 7 set the control panel to an icon view; its in Administrative Tools.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wow. Ok. thanks Krom.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

whoa. ok.. there are too many errors and the like to list.

Having a hard time finding info that actually tells me something.

The \"critical\" logs are kernal errors of some kind. It's not real specific what happened.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Found some info HERE

...ugh.... :roll:
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Duper wrote:Ok, I uninstalled the Creative drivers and junk software. I left OpenAL and ALchemy installed and so far no crash!

Once again, it's Creative.... :roll: ...thus far it seems so....
I have both the SB Audigy and the Audigy 2... both caused major system instability, getting the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS error.

A solution that some people have had is to put the SB card as far away from the video card (this was back when there was only AGP, but it may apply to PCIE as well). The SoundBlaster cards like to use alot of resources, and occasionally will try to use some that aren't theirs.

You may be able to somehow manually assign IRQ values, but I am not sure. It may just be something that is assigned and can't be changed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Thenior wrote:A solution that some people have had is to put the SB card as far away from the video card (this was back when there was only AGP, but it may apply to PCIE as well). The SoundBlaster cards like to use alot of resources, and occasionally will try to use some that aren't theirs.
Probably doesn't apply to PCIe which is a serial connection instead of shared parallel like PCI/AGP. Resource conflicts can still exist, but moving the card around would probably have little effect.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

have you matched the ram timings(specc'd for the ram) to the system board.. even if it had XMP some motherboards need to be somewhat manually adjusted

what are the ram timings listed for your ram, and those listed in the bios by spd

this problem may be just that simple

Example (OCZ3P1333LV4GK) 7-7-7-20 I bet it's not running on the mobo like that with spd

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Doh!

I didn't even think of this. I was going to get back to it when I built the system but did not. I'll definitely look into it! Good thought Bubba.

Also, the link I posted spoke mostly of \"substandard\" coding in anti virus programs. So, I've uninstalled avast and I'll see if that helps. The box crashed even with default sound drivers.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

now... If i can GET into my bios. :x

puter is booting directly into windows now ... wth? 20 or 30 tries now..
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

read the manual for your motherboard.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Intel = F2

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah. found it. :P

Ok, uninstalled (well almost) Avast and things seem to be stable. I'll load sounds stuff little at a time and see what that gets me.

Bubba, you were right. The MB defaulted at 7-7-7-16 and 1.5 volts. I should (and is now) 7-7-7-20 @ 1.65 volts per spec.

Funny thing though. The intel software that monitors performance reads my ram at below 1.1V. o_0 eventhough other indicators show it's at 1.66something. Oh well. Nothings over heating or crashing and I've played Bad Company 2 and COD4 wide open for about 2 hours each and no trouble. *shrug*

Krom, some of the info concerning the kernel crashing was matching the MS tech page that pointed the finger at anti virus software.

Flip The manual didn't anything to the effect as to why I wasn't getting the Intel bios splash screen. that just quit for no particular reason. I must have changed something ....

I'll do a general cleaning tomorrow and see if anything ugly pops up.

Oh, to uninstall Avast, I need to be logged in under Admin (not just an admin privy profile). Apparently, W7 makes distinctions now. I can do it, it's just a bit of a hassle right now. oh well.

Thanks Guys!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

no more Bluescreens and random reboots??

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That is correct sir.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doh' scratch that. just crashed while in Bad company 2.

.... back to the drawing board.....
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, Avast is still on my system although not running. Even logged in under the Admin account, Win7 won't let me delete the folder.

Linux is looking better and better.
--------------------------------------------

Found an uninstaller on their site. :P I was running a \"protection capsule\" which shielded it from being changed. ... one of the first things a virus does to your Anti virus software.

Alright. Now! it's off the system. (there was avast32.exe running in the background) So, lets see if that works.

---------------------------------------------

welp.. ive been all over the net and seems that this problem is nearing \"rampant\" status. It seems the techs are blaming hardware but folks are swapping out all their hardware and getting the same thing. So everything but Windows 7 is getting blamed. It also seems to be only on Intel chips.

---------------------------------------------
brought the Ram voltage down to 1.6 from 1.65 and that seems to have helped.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Time to eat some crow. ... and probably a lot of it....

Just noticed that I have the memory in the wrong slot configuration. *sigh* :roll:

'scuze me.. I need to go find a brick wall...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

some motherboards have slot 1 and 3 (usually black) starting in the second row from the cpu.. when in doubt and age keeps one from reading the micro lettering on the mobo... read the manual.

running top now Duper?

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Need to install the vid drivers back on. Running on windows defaults right now.

That's what I did Bubba. Stuck both sticks in Channel A (a blue and a black)
There should be (with 2 sticks) one in slot 1A and one in Slot 1B.

This is my first Intel board so there are a few things I'm not used to.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, just fyi. For those that have a i5 or i7, you probably DO NOT want to OC your memory as it could damage the CPU. Those CPUs are designed to sync with the memory at a certain speed. Definitely read up on it before trying. Ran across this by accident.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

it's the vid drivers.

It seems that Windows 7 and the new Intel iX series are having issues all over the place. All the windows bosd reports on a dozen forums are all intel chips. I haven't read one that was an AMD chip.

With Intel and MS having their falling out here not too long ago, it wouldn't surprise me if MS neglected to add a little code here and there to make it tough on Intel customers. Paranoid, perhaps, but the corporate mind isn't above that kinda bs.

Signed drivers (Cats 10.3) due out 3/24 for x64.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

doh,

one very dead stick of memory. :roll: wonder if put it in the wrong slot killed it?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Unlikely, unless you plugged it into a PCI slot instead of a memory slot... :P

Most likely it was dead to begin with (or well on its way). From my experience the last couple years about 30% of all memory is defective, RMA it for a replacement, they won't give you any grief.

Always subject a new system to several complete passes in memtest86+ (or the full blown 32 passes to test all patterns which can require 1-3 days for completeness sake).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Krom.

I wonder if they would send me the one good one back. :lol:

Memtest86+ doesn't work on my system. It loads, but doesn't get to the testing part. not sure why. I've tried two separate downloads with two different burns.

I've a 64 bit system. does that matter?

I'll figure out if it's just one stick that's bad or something in between one and two.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Once I had to RMA a matched pair of memory twice since the first round of replacements didn't work. :P Out of the first four only one stick actually worked, but the replacement for the replacement had two working sticks so it brought the total up to three duds from six sticks. And it wasn't like they had errors in memtest, two of the dud sticks would actually prevent the computer from even POSTing, just a black screen and a long repeating beep. Its obvious the memory manufacturers don't actually test their memory to see if it works once assembled (this was Corsair XMS BTW). :P

Memtest86+ works fine on 64 bit systems (or I wouldn't be able to test all 8 GB of my RAM) you probably just have some BIOS/Chipset/Processor combination that it hates, it is a pretty touchy program.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Krom wrote:..(this was Corsair XMS BTW). :P
o_0 yikes! I had some Cruials go bad on me a while back, but they were 5 years old and about 8 lans worth of back and forth.
Krom wrote:Memtest86+ works fine on 64 bit systems (or I wouldn't be able to test all 8 GB of my RAM) you probably just have some BIOS/Chipset/Processor combination that it hates, it is a pretty touchy program.
Hmm. Intel mobo and intel processor. figures. Firs time I decide to go Intel, the world falls down around my ears. ;) :lol: OK, off to test those sticks. (a nap always helps; too much healthcare news today. ready to kill someone. :roll: )
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

New Mem on it's way ... from Taiwan! o.0

they turned the rma around the next day. ..nice! 8)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Still crashing. Although it's consistantly crashing on a dxgmms1.sys error.

No answers from the web, just a lot of finger pointing. Yanked my sound card and completely cleaned out associated software, drivers and reg tags.

Thoughts? :?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Hey Duper.
Just a thought.
Have you tried a Bios update?

Release notes
D/L Page
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yup! already done.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

It's a DirectX10 Error from memory leaks from bad game programming for SSAO

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

really. ? Source? Not that I doubt, I'd like to read more

It only requires Dx9 and can be run on XP. Guess that's why not everyone is having problems... only us Vista/W7 folk.

Thanks Bubba.

*sigh* :roll:

On another note, I was surprised at how little contrast there is in Crysis. I imagine that's pretty common for games these days.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

run the game in dx9 mode

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Bubbs, his crashes aren't limited to one game.

Duper, which vid drivers are you using? I haven't had any issues with Win7 or Vista and the ATI 10.3 driverset. (Yes, that includes Crysis.)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Never said it was just one game.....Foil

Do you have a DX10/DX11 card?

I'm running CCC 10.4 BTW with a DX11 Card

Duper if you think your DX Drivers have been corrupted by a lazy Game installer

Grab DX11 Aug2009(part of W7 Install) and also DX11 Feb2010 Update
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, the H5770 is a Dx11 card. I have 10.4 right now. I'll retry different drivers and different Dx settings. Although I was getting crashes on all variations before the the bluescreening was relatively consistant.

Going through it again won't hurt.