DSL vs. satellite worth the change?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

DSL vs. satellite worth the change?

Post by ReadyMan »

I was with a friend the other day who's net provider is the satellite company Clear. He gets 4g connection for $55 a month

I'm paying about $60 for 7mb DSL.

I get 6.71 dl speeds and about 395kbps upload

He gets 8.48mb dl speeds and 1.23 upload

I can see he's much faster, but I'm wondering if satellite is any good for gaming these days...?

I've stuck with DSL because of the desire for solid gaming pings, but if satellite is equal to dsl, then I'm ready for a switch for the faster speeds.

Thanks!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Satellite typically is limited by how much you can download per day (250-500MB).

Speed tests only confirm how quickly something can get there - but if want to know about quality, try http://www.pingtest.net/ .

I'm on a 1.5 Up/down wireless setup, and I can tell you it usually sucks. But, it's good enough I play MW2 online xbox live decently - and I get a D grade on that test.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I got an A. Descent is great until the pingfloods start ;). You know who you are :P
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

The inherent latency involved (The signal delay) can be as much as 250 milliseconds to 900 milliseconds (one way), which makes this service unusable for applications requiring real-time user input, such as online games or remote surgery.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

I thought online gaming was remote surgery :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Its no good for gaming or voip, the latency is too high.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Rats...well, that's good to know. I'll keep searching for a better connect (not an easy task from an island in the middle of the ocean).
I actually do pretty well with the DSL they offer, just the upload speeds are very slow IMO.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Clear is not satellite. Clear is WiMax which is similar to cellular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I scanned that article but didnt see anything related to gaming or consistency with pings/connection.

Anyone have an opinion about using it for gaming?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Where you at Readyman?

Try this link.

http://www.clear.com
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I had the impression that even playing online through a wireless router was considered to be a negative thing... Or is that an opinion held by people who are super in-tune to why they're not winning at any given moment? ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I had the impression that even playing online through a wireless router was considered to be a negative thing... Or is that an opinion held by people who are super in-tune to why they're not winning at any given moment? ;)
Yes on both counts. :wink: And they're both right (to a certain extent, certain conditions are exceptions).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:I had the impression that even playing online through a wireless router was considered to be a negative thing... Or is that an opinion held by people who are super in-tune to why they're not winning at any given moment? ;)
I can confirm that my wireless connection has given me the occasional spikes in ping and network loss during the few times I've been in-game recently. Then again, my machine is in the part of the house furthest away from our wireless router, and I have occasional connection issues during even normal browsing, so I'm hardly the most ideal example.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

The Full 'N' wireless can give good results in most cases even for gaming. I never thought the 'B' or 'G' were worth crap for gaming.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm in Hawaii, on the island of Oahu. Clear has coverage here, and even on the small island of Lanai.
My DSL here is much less as far as speed goes, than it was in CA...
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

stay away from clear.

we use them in some of are C Stores and the connection is so unreliable.

I would stick to DSL.

I ahve Fiber DSL here and the 20mbps Down 3mbps up is oh so nice.
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FireFox »

Warlock wrote:I ahve Fiber DSL here and the 20mbps Down 3mbps up is oh so nice.
:x just another small reminder how far behind this country is with internet connection speed and options. Fastest DSL line available here is like what 4mbps so yea I have no further comment and will go on my way on my 384kb DSL line :oops: (at least it's uncapped now :roll:)
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Most satellite connections like the one you are talking about are SHARING bandwidth... so I wouldn't bank on the speed staying consistently high.

If you go with a guaranteed Satellite Speed you will pay more for that for sure.

If you have satellite issues, you are at the mercy of whomever owns the satellite then the contact from the provider to that satellite unit, etc.

My opinion is to stick with DSL.

My DSL provider is / was very stable.

Currently using Cable at my office and it isn't as stable as DSL... It's not down much anymore but for a while every time we had a minor or large amount of rain the Cable was down for hours on end!

8)