mixed up courts

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

mixed up courts

Post by Kilarin »

The US courts are really confused.

Earlier this year the Supreme Court declared that corporations have the same rights as individuals when it comes to making campaign donations.

And now...
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/0 ... ning-mail/
It's not a crime to send death threats if they were addressed to a corporation and not an individual. Does that mean that if Osama had sent a letter threatening the World Trade Center it wouldn't have been a crime?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Oooo cool, I can now send death threats to congress as long as I don't mention any one individual congress person. If we started doing that I'd be willing to bet the law would change quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Wired wrote:Under the threatening-letters statute, “the ‘person’ to whom the mail is addressed must be an individual person, not an institution or corporation,” wrote Judge William Canby, who was joined by Judge Betty Fletcher. Havelock’s communications were mailed to media outlets, not named individuals, the majority noted.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

lol certain acts of terrorism are legal now guys
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

AlphaDoG wrote:Oooo cool, I can now send death threats to congress as long as I don't mention any one individual congress person. If we started doing that I'd be willing to bet the law would change quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Wired wrote:Under the threatening-letters statute, “the ‘person’ to whom the mail is addressed must be an individual person, not an institution or corporation,” wrote Judge William Canby, who was joined by Judge Betty Fletcher. Havelock’s communications were mailed to media outlets, not named individuals, the majority noted.
With the dems in charge they will change the law for the greater good, constitution - what constitution - lie about when it was changed and then arrest you.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Cuda68 wrote:
AlphaDoG wrote:Oooo cool, I can now send death threats to congress as long as I don't mention any one individual congress person. If we started doing that I'd be willing to bet the law would change quick, fast, and in a hurry.
With the dems in charge they will change the law for the greater good, constitution - what constitution - lie about when it was changed and then arrest you.
So will the republicans.